Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    unknown lv2, dk bmx, felt f75
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Winter Training routines and diet for a junior track racer

    .

    Hi. Im 15 and from chicago and after a somewhat successful first season of track racing we are being hit hard with the infamous chicago winter. Im starting plyometrics in october along with the rest of my team and was wondering what else I should do to start the next season strong. This does not exclude a protein diet, extra workouts, etc. I dont really care if I have to stare at a wall for a few hours while I peddle on a trainer, i guess I am pretty dedicated since it takes me two hours to get to the track and Ive only missed 2 races due to lack of bike. Anyway, keep in mind that I am a sprinter and thanks. I already posted this in the juniors forum but I figured I would get more and better advice from this forum.

  2. #2
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,931
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi, and welcome to the forum and to the sport!

    First of all, let me start by saying, NOTHING that we say in this forum is more important than what your parents/guardians say. Period. They know you better than we ever will.

    A few questions:

    - Does your team have a coach or leader?
    - Who is leading your plyometrics?
    - What equipment do you have available to use (road bike, mag trainer, gym, free weights, swimming pool, etc...)?

    Being that you are young, common mistakes that youngsters make are to:

    - Not warmup
    - Not use good technique
    - Rush into everything
    - Not seek good advice or ask for help


    If you can avoid those mistakes, you'll be OK.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Velocirapture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    My Bikes
    S-1 :-D
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything Carleton says.

    And since you ask about diet, the same applies to a junior as to any serious athlete - eat a healthy, balanced diet, and especially as you are still growing stay away from strange supplements as long as possible (leave out the creatine etc etc that a gym environment might try to get you into).

    How do you know its healthy and balanced, without getting into too much detail? - if you put all the food you eat in one day onto one plate, approximately a third of the plate should be taken up by fruit and veg, a third, protein, and a third carbohydrates (potatoes, whole grains, etc, overly processed starch like white bread, crisps etc, is not ideal). If you were riding endurance rather than sprints mainly, you would up the carbs a bit. fat is also important, but not in the form of fry-ups, greasy chips and fastfood format.

    In terms of supplements, a good quality multivitamin is great, and all that is really necessary until you get into really heavy training.

    Its cheesy to say, but I'm going to say it since we all 'know it' and few of us apply it: your body is only as good as the fuel you give it. Junk food and an imbalanced diet wont help you, and will eventually hold you back. Even if you can 'afford' to eat it from a calorie perspective.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are lucky to be in Chicago, where there are lots of good coaches, and junior programs. Talking with people online, and researching can get you pretty far. But having some one in real life to watch and talk to is invaluable.

    Like Carleton said, it is most important that you have proper instruction and technique on your work outs. It is really key for all of us. But at an age where your body is still growing you can really create life long problems. So get a certified instructor for plyos, lifting, etc. and have them watch you regularly to make sure your technique is good.

    I am part of the STL Crew that is coming up to velocampus at the end of the month.Hope to see you there.
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    unknown lv2, dk bmx, felt f75
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the forum and to the sport!

    First of all, let me start by saying, NOTHING that we say in this forum is more important than what your parents/guardians say. Period. They know you better than we ever will.

    A few questions:

    - Does your team have a coach or leader?
    - Who is leading your plyometrics?
    - What equipment do you have available to use (road bike, mag trainer, gym, free weights, swimming pool, etc...)?

    Being that you are young, common mistakes that youngsters make are to:

    - Not warmup
    - Not use good technique
    - Rush into everything
    - Not seek good advice or ask for help


    If you can avoid those mistakes, you'll be OK.
    A few answers

    Yes I do have a coach.
    my coach will be leading plyo.
    we have trainers with track bikes, weights, space for workouts, running, etc. Im sure there is more but I haven't seen all the equipment yet.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    unknown lv2, dk bmx, felt f75
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocirapture View Post
    Everything Carleton says.

    And since you ask about diet, the same applies to a junior as to any serious athlete - eat a healthy, balanced diet, and especially as you are still growing stay away from strange supplements as long as possible (leave out the creatine etc etc that a gym environment might try to get you into).

    How do you know its healthy and balanced, without getting into too much detail? - if you put all the food you eat in one day onto one plate, approximately a third of the plate should be taken up by fruit and veg, a third, protein, and a third carbohydrates (potatoes, whole grains, etc, overly processed starch like white bread, crisps etc, is not ideal). If you were riding endurance rather than sprints mainly, you would up the carbs a bit. fat is also important, but not in the form of fry-ups, greasy chips and fastfood format.

    In terms of supplements, a good quality multivitamin is great, and all that is really necessary until you get into really heavy training.

    Its cheesy to say, but I'm going to say it since we all 'know it' and few of us apply it: your body is only as good as the fuel you give it. Junk food and an imbalanced diet wont help you, and will eventually hold you back. Even if you can 'afford' to eat it from a calorie perspective.
    A few questions

    What should I get the fat from, milk, meat, etc?
    when is right time to eat throughout the day? My coach said earlier is better but there is only so much i can eat in the morning.
    What about protein bars and shakes?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    unknown lv2, dk bmx, felt f75
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    You are lucky to be in Chicago, where there are lots of good coaches, and junior programs. Talking with people online, and researching can get you pretty far. But having some one in real life to watch and talk to is invaluable.

    Like Carleton said, it is most important that you have proper instruction and technique on your work outs. It is really key for all of us. But at an age where your body is still growing you can really create life long problems. So get a certified instructor for plyos, lifting, etc. and have them watch you regularly to make sure your technique is good.

    I am part of the STL Crew that is coming up to velocampus at the end of the month.Hope to see you there.
    Haven't really heard of stl what does your kit look like, might of seen it at ed rudolph.

  8. #8
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunit7 View Post
    A few questions

    What should I get the fat from, milk, meat, etc?
    when is right time to eat throughout the day? My coach said earlier is better but there is only so much i can eat in the morning.
    What about protein bars and shakes?
    i get my healthy fats from:
    olive oil; yogurt; goat cheese; and avocados.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunit7 View Post
    Haven't really heard of stl what does your kit look like, might of seen it at ed rudolph.
    There is a group of us from St. Louis coming up, from a few different teams. I ride for Spoked STL, with Zach Slavins. He has raced at Northbrook and CVC quite a bit. Our kits are black and orange with a bike chain arch.
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  10. #10
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,931
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunit7 View Post
    A few questions

    What should I get the fat from, milk, meat, etc?
    when is right time to eat throughout the day? My coach said earlier is better but there is only so much i can eat in the morning.
    What about protein bars and shakes?
    Some random facts:
    - For beginner through to advanced athletes (especially teenagers and younger), milk provides the same benefits as fancy diet supplements (legal and illegal). Some advocate the "GO MAD" principle: Drink a Gallon of Milk a Day. I can't drink that much. But, I'm sure some can.
    - Eat. It is fuel. Eat as much as you like. Most teen athletes do not need to be on calorie restrictive diets.
    - Keep the diet clean-ish. Sweets every now and then won't kill you. Just don't go crazy like drinking several Cokes a day and eating gummy bears for lunch, etc...
    - Today's workout is fueled by the dinner you ate last night.
    - You get stronger when you rest, not when you are training. Make time to sleep and actually sleep.
    - Keep it fun...that way it will be fun.
    - It's OK to take a week or two off from training. This rests the body and mind. De-training only starts in the 3rd week of inactivity. The first 2 weeks of inactivity you pretty much just hold at whatever level you stopped at.
    - Sports Supplements are a big industry. A good meal is better than any Clif bar. Period.
    - In my opinion, regular Gatorade (not G2) is the best sports drink. It's cheap, easy to find, and has what you need. BUT, don't drink it if you don't need it. It can be too sweet. I usually mix 1/2 water and 1/2 Gatorade in my water bottles.
    - We sweat more than water, we sweat salt. You need to replenish that. Gatorade does that. Also, (within reason) add salt to your food, especially in the summer when you sweat a lot during rides.
    Last edited by carleton; 09-19-13 at 01:45 PM.

  11. #11
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,931
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All this talk about food...

    - Don't eat heavy within 2 hours of a ride or strenuous workout. You'll want to puke and or poop (hahaha). So, build in time to eat beforehand.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    unknown lv2, dk bmx, felt f75
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    There is a group of us from St. Louis coming up, from a few different teams. I ride for Spoked STL, with Zach Slavins. He has raced at Northbrook and CVC quite a bit. Our kits are black and orange with a bike chain arch.
    oooh, is it the chain arch with an x in the middle and symbols? I dont know his name but there is this guy on your team with an oldish spesh langster and is good friends with nikos and sam.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    unknown lv2, dk bmx, felt f75
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    All this talk about food...

    - Don't eat heavy within 2 hours of a ride or strenuous workout. You'll want to puke and or poop (hahaha). So, build in time to eat beforehand.
    well i have learned the hard way with that one, ate a burger and fries right before a dream omnium and upchucked it all. haha

  14. #14
    Senior Member Velocirapture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    My Bikes
    S-1 :-D
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
    i get my healthy fats from:
    olive oil; yogurt; goat cheese; and avocados.
    +1
    'healthy' fat is generally your plant fats, so olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc are great. yoghurt and goats cheese are also 'healthier' versions of animal fat than a big slab of fat on a steak or even full cream milk.

    if there is fat in a processed product, go for 'unsaturated'. 'Polyunsaturated' is even better than 'monounsaturated' (saturated has got to do with the chemical bonds within the molecules, encase you are interested).

    Keep as far away from anything with 'hydrogenated vegetable oils' as possible, the vegetable in there is a trick to make you think its good. Once they hydrogenate it, they turn it into something more evil than the slab of fat on the steak. You might just as well eat your plastic lunch box.

    The easy way to stay away from the not so good fats is to stay away from all the processed stuff. if it looks like it was picked, grown, or farmed, its better than if it looks like it came out of a factory (a picture of a plant on the bottle is also a trick- if that plant/ fruit/ tomatoe is not what you actually see, then its processed!)
    Last edited by Velocirapture; 09-20-13 at 05:00 AM. Reason: typos

  15. #15
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunit7 View Post
    oooh, is it the chain arch with an x in the middle and symbols? I dont know his name but there is this guy on your team with an oldish spesh langster and is good friends with nikos and sam.
    Yep that is Zach. He is a great dude, we started racing together back in the day. He is going to school at Loyola now, so you will a lot of him. And gives all of us a place to stay up there to race more.
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    unknown lv2, dk bmx, felt f75
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    Yep that is Zach. He is a great dude, we started racing together back in the day. He is going to school at Loyola now, so you will a lot of him. And gives all of us a place to stay up there to race more.
    yea, he seems cool, I ride for ten27 with john mager, alec dinerstein, chuck judy and chris mailing. you might know one of us.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Kayce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you going to be at Velocampus this weekend? We have 7-8 people making the roadtrip to race.
    If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Bikes
    unknown lv2, dk bmx, felt f75
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    Are you going to be at Velocampus this weekend? We have 7-8 people making the roadtrip to race.
    yup, I will also be there saturday to get certified and maybe race on sunday which pends on lady problems. Hopefully i'll see you there

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •