Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   The Golden Cheetah- Track Q&A Thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/923793-golden-cheetah-track-q-thread.html)

Hida Yanra 01-04-14 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16376787)
On a related note:

About 2 years ago I saw a GoPro type video of a guy in a scratch local race. The cool thing was that the video had an overlay of the data from his power meter.
...

If I ever decide that the benefits would be worth the time investment, I'd make them myself - but I didn't see it for RRs/crits last year - maybe since track races are shorter, maybe this winter?
Eh - we'll see.

slindell 01-05-14 11:42 AM

And in a related topic it looks like Chevy will be offering the data recording/playback with telemetry on the 2015 Stingray
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...DDLE_Video_Top
so the thing looks like it has hit mainstream. They mention voice recording too so you will have to watch your language and I suspect the insurance companies will ask for the recording along with the claim.

Quinn8it 02-11-14 09:05 PM

I am sure there is somewhere out there where i could get a bigger pool of people to help me with this- but since this is the only forum i frequent... ill start here.

i am having issues with the "Find Intervals" function on my SRM files.. other files with power data from 2 bikes with Stages meters collected with Garmin are not having issues.. i cant get any intervals to show..

anyone know what im doing wrong?

Quinn8it 02-13-14 11:08 AM

adding a bit more info to this- hoping for some help while i search elsewhere on the web for the answer...

so my issue is only on SRM files from an Ergo-
I can use the "find peak intervals" function
the "find best intervals" function is not working
both functions work properly on all my other files (all garmin/Stages)

Thanks

carleton 02-13-14 11:23 AM

I've found that the Golden Cheetah developers to be really approachable. I ID'd a bug a couple of years ago and a developer from Germany worked with me via email to get it sorted out.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...-cheetah-users

carleton 02-13-14 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16492719)
adding a bit more info to this- hoping for some help while i search elsewhere on the web for the answer...

so my issue is only on SRM files from an Ergo-
I can use the "find peak intervals" function
the "find best intervals" function is not working
both functions work properly on all my other files (all garmin/Stages)

Thanks

OH! I think I know what might be happening.

Because you are on an ergo, your front wheel isn't turning. This means that you aren't registering any distance traveled. This may also be registering as time not elapsing either. Not sure. I know that when I home-trainer efforts on the track bike using the SRM, when I download the file into SRM software, I have to lower the threshold for it to accept data. The default is something like 5 minutes or something like that. Put it to 0.

I'm writing from memory, sorry to be imprecise.

Quinn8it 02-13-14 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16492789)
OH! I think I know what might be happening.

Because you are on an ergo, your front wheel isn't turning. This means that you aren't registering any distance traveled. This may also be registering as time not elapsing either. Not sure. I know that when I home-trainer efforts on the track bike using the SRM, when I download the file into SRM software, I have to lower the threshold for it to accept data. The default is something like 5 minutes or something like that. Put it to 0.

I'm writing from memory, sorry to be imprecise.

i think you are on to something…

i am using a Mac at home- so i don't have the SRM software installed… and i think my PC at work with the SRM software took a dive into the crapper yesterday.. so i may not be able to play with that..
i originally had it set up to 0- ill have to confirm that it still is..

thanks Carleton

rensho3 02-13-14 04:07 PM

Kind of off topic, but what is your erg setup? I am thinking of setting one up and would appreciate any information.

John

Quinn8it 02-13-14 06:07 PM

https://predatorcycling.com/wp-conte...ergo-bike.jpeg

carleton 02-13-14 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16493965)

Have you considered mounting the SRM speed sensor to that wheel in order to get a complete data set (speed, cadence, and power) in the file?

Quinn8it 02-13-14 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16494009)
Have you considered mounting the SRM speed sensor to that wheel in order to get a complete data set (speed, cadence, and power) in the file?

Yeh- I've played around with it. Just need a spacer to get the sensor in position, and I need to go into the SRM software and program the wheel size to something Tiny.. That wheel spins at 75mph+ on a hard jump!

carleton 02-13-14 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16494029)
Yeh- I've played around with it. Just need a spacer to get the sensor in position, and I need to go into the SRM software and program the wheel size to something Tiny.. That wheel spins at 75mph+ on a hard jump!

Or you can just ignore the speed data. In Golden Cheetah, you may be able to go into that tab that shows the data records and just delete the Speed column from files from the erg files so it doesn't throw off your stats.

JMR 02-13-14 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalai (Post 16378113)
Thanks for posting this. Had just got back from Europe so didn't race that one, but this is my local indoor track I normally race Tuesday nights and on searching through his videos found one I'm in...

Was in a short lived two man break at the 9min mark but it unfortunately didn't stick. My mate Cam was up the track in the final laps so I soft pedaled when on the front but also in the end I should have moved up earlier as gaps opened and I was too far back; made up heaps of ground but only came in 5th. I'm in the red skinsuit and running a disc.


Is this at DISC Dalai?

The guy that won that race (Chris Hickey) is up here in Brisbane now.

Are you going to Nationals in March?

JMR

Dalai 02-14-14 03:42 AM

Footage is at DISC JMR. Chris being up in Brisbane explains why I haven't seen him in a while...

I will be racing the Nationals - pursuit and scratch. You?

rensho3 02-14-14 03:59 PM

Very nice! Do you just use the wheel for drag, or is there something I can't see that adds resistance?

Quinn8it 02-14-14 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rensho3 (Post 16496635)
Very nice! Do you just use the wheel for drag, or is there something I can't see that adds resistance?

The wheel has fan blades to create wind resistance.
the Double Drivetrain gets the wheel spinning at 2-3x normal speed. I've clocked it a near 100mph. The power curve is really realistic. The beat feeling resistance trainer I've ever used.

rensho3 02-17-14 11:18 AM

Thanks. Wish I could afford the $2500 Predator wants for one. Heavy Sigh!

MarkWW 02-18-14 02:16 PM

My knowledge and usage of power for training is pretty basic. For those who are deeper into it, are you able to see your torque values? I'm guessing that would be torque at the crank and not the hub, right? What kind of max torque values would a cat 2 sprinter expect to see?

carleton 02-18-14 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkWW (Post 16506526)
My knowledge and usage of power for training is pretty basic. For those who are deeper into it, are you able to see your torque values? I'm guessing that would be torque at the crank and not the hub, right? What kind of max torque values would a cat 2 sprinter expect to see?

It's hard to answer. Just like Power, Torque is directly related to a rider's body weight. A 250lb guy pressing his left foot on a crank arm produces more torque than a 175lb guy. The resulting power will also be different...but they can have the exact same acceleration and top speed.

Maybe look for Torque/Kg just like people look for Watts/Kg as a way to compare different riders.

Here is a chart made by Andy Coggan where he generalizes W/Kg over different time periods (5sec, 1min, 5min, Functional Threshold) to describe different categories of riders:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cyclinganal...ower-table.png

Take it with a grain of salt. That table is no different that comparing Squat numbers and trying to extrapolate Flying 200M times from it.

Quinn8it 02-18-14 02:56 PM

Based on 1min power that chart puts me right in the middle of cat-5

Quinn8it 02-23-14 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16492719)
adding a bit more info to this- hoping for some help while i search elsewhere on the web for the answer...

so my issue is only on SRM files from an Ergo-
I can use the "find peak intervals" function
the "find best intervals" function is not working
both functions work properly on all my other files (all garmin/Stages)

Thanks

so updating to the newest version of GC resolved this issue..

VanceMac 02-23-14 04:11 PM

Did it resolve your cat 5 power? :p

carleton 02-23-14 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanceMac (Post 16520344)
Did it resolve your cat 5 power? :p

Hahahaha! You guys are hilarious tonight!

carleton 03-23-14 01:04 PM

Does anyone here know how to make custom charts in Golden Cheetah?

I'd like to plot acceleration using speed data. Is this possible?

Trackliche 04-29-14 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16603784)
Does anyone here know how to make custom charts in Golden Cheetah?

I'd like to plot acceleration using speed data. Is this possible?

How about plotting/viewing three variables at once? I'd like to see speed, time, and distance all displayed. I want to analyze 200m approaches, jumps, speeds, and fades. Tough to get accurate information when I'm jumping back and forth between "Time" and "Distance" Performance charts.

-TC


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.