Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-14, 09:53 AM   #826
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough of it.
queerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 10:19 AM   #827
dro.pru
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NJ
Bikes: Windsor Hour Track Frame, Motobecane Cafe Fixed, Gravity Road Bike
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
A buddy made one of those for me, once. He used steel that was too soft and eventually it got all bit up, and the chain snapped out of it.
Just used it for the first time. Steel was too soft.....
dro.pru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 10:45 AM   #828
rensho3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Ana
Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought one from the Velodrome shop in England. I can't get a pix of it right now to show you, but it is a thing of beauty. And brutally strong. The chain part has a little magnet on one end to keep it neat when stored. I love it, and since I have had it, changing cogs, even after a series of standing starts, is just not a problem.
rensho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 03:52 PM   #829
Velocirapture
Senior Member
 
Velocirapture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Africa
Bikes: S-1 :-D
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough of it.
that used to be my philosophy.. but after stripping a few bolts (and half a threaded BB shell) I revised my view. Torque wrench ftw.
Velocirapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 09:36 PM   #830
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,131
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Tomorrow (Sunday) is the first clinic of the season at Kissena Velodrome, and I've enrolled and will be there. The organizer sent a last minute email saying (among other things) that it would be ideal to have a gear ratio in the low 70's. That was a relief to me, because I knew it was time to gear up. I went from a 65" and switched up to 77". Scary at first, and not great for early season sprinting for this newbie. So great, I went to my LBS and developed a relation with one of the mechanics there. I bought a cog, and him put it on.

I took a vigorous ride around Central Park and found that the drivetrain was quite noisy. Scary, because I wondered about the risk of the chain jumping off while riding. I went back to Martin and asked him about it. He said the problem was that my chain was stretched. Already, huh? OK, so I had him put a new chain. At each visit, I tipped him $5, and I think I'm in good hands. And yeah, the chain is quiet how. Much pleasanter.

No question specifically. I just wanted to weigh in while I anticipate my big day.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 08:22 AM   #831
Velocirapture
Senior Member
 
Velocirapture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Africa
Bikes: S-1 :-D
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
Tomorrow (Sunday) is the first clinic of the season at Kissena Velodrome, and I've enrolled and will be there...
No question specifically. I just wanted to weigh in while I anticipate my big day.
How did it go?
Velocirapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 06:07 PM   #832
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,131
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
It went GREAT! I had a barrel of fun. I learned a lot about how it works, and I learned a lot of skill. It felt so good to be moving so fast on the track.

I was in a couple of mock races and came in last in one and either last or second-last. And I had a great time in them anyway. Now I know where I stand. I've got the skills. I haven't got the speed. Gotta do some speed work.

My attitude is if I am learning and having fun, my standings aren't important.

Met some nice people, too. There were all kinds of people there: 30 registrants in all. One guy was 59. Another might have been older. There were people -- men and women -- who appeared to be in their early 20's. There was one boy from high school. The folks from Pink Rhino Racing held the clinic and they were super encouraging and helpful.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 08:43 PM   #833
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
It went GREAT! I had a barrel of fun. I learned a lot about how it works, and I learned a lot of skill. It felt so good to be moving so fast on the track.

I was in a couple of mock races and came in last in one and either last or second-last. And I had a great time in them anyway. Now I know where I stand. I've got the skills. I haven't got the speed. Gotta do some speed work.

My attitude is if I am learning and having fun, my standings aren't important.

Met some nice people, too. There were all kinds of people there: 30 registrants in all. One guy was 59. Another might have been older. There were people -- men and women -- who appeared to be in their early 20's. There was one boy from high school. The folks from Pink Rhino Racing held the clinic and they were super encouraging and helpful.
Nice! Sounds like a great time.

As you have already done, don't worry about how you place in these mock races. Be sure to get what you need out of them, namely comfort in close quarters and 360 degrees of perception.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:28 AM   #834
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,131
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
I've always been good at 360 degree perception on the bike, so I got it on the track quickly. Comfort in close quarters came after a few laps, and it improved over more laps.

It was interesting that we were told never to apply backward pressure to the pedals. I didn't know about that, and I got the hang of slowing with the other methods available (sitting up to catch wind, moving up (to the right) and just spinning easily).

I knew not to worry about my standings. I'm going to enter races as soon as I can, and I expect to come in last for quite a while, but I know I'll have fun anyway, and I'll learn from all of it. I'll be working on strength and speed now, because those are the two things I lack the most.

The captain of Pink Rhino Racing, who held the clinic, said he could see my good attitude, and that was encouraging for me. My daughter taught me a lesson when she was in sixth grade. She was on the school wrestling tam for a while. In her first competitive match, she lost resoundingly, and when she got home, she said, "I lost, and I had a great time!"

I have a Garmin Edge 200, and I'll follow my progress as I ride the streets and roads.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:31 AM   #835
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
The captain of Pink Rhino Racing, who held the clinic, said he could see my good attitude, and that was encouraging for me.
Brean is great.
He threw the first alleycat I ever did, which I found out about on the SSFG section of bikeforums, and it got me into racing.
So that dude gets a perpetual high-five from me.
queerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:35 AM   #836
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,131
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Agreed about Brean. Great guy.

Are you going to be in any events in NYC soon?
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:43 AM   #837
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,131
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho3 View Post
I bought one from the Velodrome shop in England. I can't get a pix of it right now to show you, but it is a thing of beauty. And brutally strong. The chain part has a little magnet on one end to keep it neat when stored. I love it, and since I have had it, changing cogs, even after a series of standing starts, is just not a problem.
I just saw the Shimano chain whip on the interwebs. Looks to be good, and at that price, it better be.

The Wipperman one looks good, to, and it's only $21.

My LBS mechanic just uses his bench vise. That's nice, but I can't bring that with me.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:58 AM   #838
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Unfortunately no.
I'm there for occasional holidays, but no racing.
queerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 10:12 AM   #839
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
In her first competitive match, she lost resoundingly, and when she got home, she said, "I lost, and I had a great time!"
That's the story of my track racing career!
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 01:16 PM   #840
Velocirapture
Senior Member
 
Velocirapture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Africa
Bikes: S-1 :-D
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
It was interesting that we were told never to apply backward pressure to the pedals. I didn't know about that, and I got the hang of slowing with the other methods available (sitting up to catch wind, moving up (to the right) and just spinning easily).
huh?

Would love more input/ background on this. New to me - but granted, we have a very small track scene and only informal intro sessions, if a club is keen and arranges one.
Velocirapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 02:49 PM   #841
gtrob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Bikes: T1, S2, P3
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirapture View Post
huh?

Would love more input/ background on this. New to me - but granted, we have a very small track scene and only informal intro sessions, if a club is keen and arranges one.
I think he means in a pace line with other riders, in order to not slow down suddenly. Soft pedaling/sitting up slows you down pretty good, and if you want to make small changes in a turn to simply move up a few inches to fall back a bit. We teach something similar in our intro classes, to stay off the brakes until you are off the track.

Obviously as the speeds and experience go up this wouldn't apply anymore.
gtrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 03:43 PM   #842
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
It was interesting that we were told never to apply backward pressure to the pedals. I didn't know about that, and I got the hang of slowing with the other methods available (sitting up to catch wind, moving up (to the right) and just spinning easily).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
I think he means in a pace line with other riders, in order to not slow down suddenly. Soft pedaling/sitting up slows you down pretty good, and if you want to make small changes in a turn to simply move up a few inches to fall back a bit. We teach something similar in our intro classes, to stay off the brakes until you are off the track.

Obviously as the speeds and experience go up this wouldn't apply anymore.
+1

Yeah, I've seen guys in the beginner class actually skip and skid on the track as they would on the street.

noglider, I think what the instructor may have been trying to communicate is that you shouldn't slow suddenly and you should learn to manage your gaps smoothly. It's kinda like how you teach new drivers to not use their brakes on the highway. Of course you'll use your brakes on the highway, but the ideal way is to manage your speed with appropriate gaps and subtle acceleration and coasting (floating). On the highway, you don't want a driver closing a gap by surging up to 80mph then suddenly braking down to 60mph when they encounter traffic ahead of them. The smooth way is to accelerate gently to like 65mph then coast down to 60mph as you approach the car in front.

So, yeah, like that
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:01 PM   #843
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
OK, I was waaaay out of the loop on track racing last summer when they split up US Elites into "Timed" and "Mass Start" national championships (weird, I know).

Timed: https://www.usacycling.org/results/?permit=2013-18
Mass Start: https://www.usacycling.org/results/?permit=2013-7

So, it seems that there the Flying 200M event was held in the "Timed" event in California and the Sprints took place in the "Mass Start" event in South Carolina. There were different participants. How did they seed the racers in the Sprints tournament? Did they run unofficial flying 200s or something and did not record them in the records website?

EDIT: Also, both hosted a Keirin tournamnet. Which one was the official Keirin for the national championship?
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:12 PM   #844
Quinn8it
Senior Member
 
Quinn8it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Keirin Tournament at Timed Nats in Los Angeles was a Demonstration Event only- and the 200m was the seeding event for the Keirin..

keirin at Rock Hill was for the Jersey
Quinn8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 07:41 PM   #845
Pole Line Stand
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone provide feedback pertaining to the Free Lap Timing Systems? The reviews I have read so far seem solid. However, I wanted to see if the system would be feasible for use on a velodrome for training sprints, like a 200tt. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pole Line Stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 01:19 PM   #846
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,131
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
+1

Yeah, I've seen guys in the beginner class actually skip and skid on the track as they would on the street.

noglider, I think what the instructor may have been trying to communicate is that you shouldn't slow suddenly and you should learn to manage your gaps smoothly. It's kinda like how you teach new drivers to not use their brakes on the highway. Of course you'll use your brakes on the highway, but the ideal way is to manage your speed with appropriate gaps and subtle acceleration and coasting (floating). On the highway, you don't want a driver closing a gap by surging up to 80mph then suddenly braking down to 60mph when they encounter traffic ahead of them. The smooth way is to accelerate gently to like 65mph then coast down to 60mph as you approach the car in front.

So, yeah, like that
Aha! This enhances my understanding of what we were told.

He also said the bike messengers who ride fixies on the street have the most inappropriate habits for track and are therefore hardest to teach, and here I was, trying to develop those habits. Now I can stop. I'll just use my brake on the street most of the time.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 06:27 PM   #847
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Mack track

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bits View Post
So, I've got a pair of hubs but they have those annoying allen bolts, the inside wall of the bolts are kinda flat it feels like they wouldn't grip/torque properly at the dropout. Is there any type of bolt that I can replace it that would be better?
Your Macks are slipping?

Soil_Sampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 07:08 PM   #848
8bits
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
it's much more a preemptive question tbh, the design doesn't seem to inspire confidence but I'll give it a try, my carbon hoops are on the way so I can build the wheel, I'll update you guys about it when I built and use it.
8bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:35 PM   #849
JMR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole Line Stand View Post
Can anyone provide feedback pertaining to the Free Lap Timing Systems? The reviews I have read so far seem solid. However, I wanted to see if the system would be feasible for use on a velodrome for training sprints, like a 200tt. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
They are great... Guys I train with use them, I will get one for next season. The only downside is that you need to go within 70cm or so of the sensor... so when timing a flying 200 on our 333m track, we put one sensor about 3/4 up the bank on the start line (200m to go), then one at 100m to go, and one at the finish line.

Just have to make sure that other riders (especially the moto) know the sensor is there and to avoid it.

We have a pretty good group at our sprint sessions so it isn't really an issue.

JMR
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 10:04 PM   #850
gtrob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Bikes: T1, S2, P3
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We have a shared system at our track so you just need to get a transponder. Mylaps I think its called.

Ive used something similar to freelaps in my race car, its basically a beam that you set on a wall and a receiver/screen in the car. Now that I think of it would be kind of trick on a bike, as if gives you a lot of easy to read data (fastest lap, if you are slowing or speeding up, etc). A little bulky for a bike Im sure though.
gtrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 PM.