Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   2014 Flying 200m Challenge (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/924945-2014-flying-200m-challenge.html)

queerpunk 12-11-13 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16321243)
you and i could ride it as a relay… madison pursuit?

Not that crazy of an idea. The madison kilo is a staple event in sixes.

Quinn8it 12-11-13 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queerpunk (Post 16321258)
Not that crazy of an idea. The madison kilo is a staple event in sixes.

No thanks! I'm good!
i witnessed a horrendous crash from an exchange gone wrong- throwing the first rider into a Madison kilo...

carleton 12-11-13 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queerpunk (Post 16321258)
Not that crazy of an idea. The madison kilo is a staple event in sixes.

Yes! It's pretty awesome to watch:

Andy Fenn and Franco Marvulli at Revolution 31

queerpunk 12-11-13 03:22 PM

Pretty awesome to do, too, especially with Franco in the infield offering pointers.

Racer Ex 12-11-13 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16321202)
Wait...is the 4K more than 4 laps?

Depends on who's lined up on the other side. I passed a guy 750m into a 2k once ;)

We won't talk about getting passed at Elites this year...

wens 12-11-13 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 16321102)
I guess I need to ride a 200 to enter?

I think we should do this for the 4k and drag all you fat boys into my sick little pain cave.

Sounds good to me. Figuring pursuit out halfway is on my goal list right now (which I really need to actually write down). I'm even going nuts and actually getting aerobars for it. Well, that and to see what I can do in a kilo, just for kicks and giggles.

zizou 12-12-13 05:52 AM

I was going to post that mine is 16.1 but as it was the only one i've done i decided to have another go a couple of nights ago hoping to get under 16 and managed to get 13.58. That was just a coach timing me rather than in competition.


Was pretty pleased with that improvement. Then i discovered my 16.1 was a flying lap not a flying 200 and i havent made any improvement at all :o

Allegheny Jet 12-12-13 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wens (Post 16322694)
Sounds good to me. Figuring pursuit out halfway is on my goal list right now (which I really need to actually write down). I'm even going nuts and actually getting aerobars for it. Well, that and to see what I can do in a kilo, just for kicks and giggles.

That's good to hear. I wont be the only one doing inervals in the 'drome next summer.

carleton 12-12-13 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 16323736)
That's good to hear. I wont be the only one doing inervals in the 'drome next summer.

Nobody calls it a "'drome". "Track" is short for "Velodrome". Calling the velodrome "the drome" is like people calling San Francisco "Frisco".

Allegheny Jet 12-12-13 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16324116)
Nobody calls it a "'drome". "Track" is short for "Velodrome". Calling the velodrome "the drome" is like people calling San Francisco "Frisco".

I do, I'm old, lazy and set in my ways.;)

Jaytron 12-12-13 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16324116)
calling San Francisco "Frisco".

My reaction to this every time:
http://i.imgur.com/l7dGJ.gif

amybikes 12-12-13 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16324116)
Nobody calls it a "'drome". "Track" is short for "Velodrome". Calling the velodrome "the drome" is like people calling San Francisco "Frisco".

Collegiate nationals was at Frisco 2 years ago. (The superdrome, in Frisco, TX)

A girl, who was a newcomer to track, and a newcomer to our team decided to come with us. (I was in San Diego at the time). For the whole two months of preparation, she thought we were going to San Francisco, and was annoyed we bought a plane ticket for her, she kept insisting she could drive. I'm not totally sure when she figured out we were going to TX not San Francisco... but it was within the last few days before we left.

If everyone called things what they were, how would we ever get the opportunity to laugh so hard as we did when she admitted this!! haha

carleton 12-12-13 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amybikes (Post 16324892)
Collegiate nationals was at Frisco 2 years ago. (The superdrome, in Frisco, TX)

A girl, who was a newcomer to track, and a newcomer to our team decided to come with us. (I was in San Diego at the time). For the whole two months of preparation, she thought we were going to San Francisco, and was annoyed we bought a plane ticket for her, she kept insisting she could drive. I'm not totally sure when she figured out we were going to TX not San Francisco... but it was within the last few days before we left.

If everyone called things what they were, how would we ever get the opportunity to laugh so hard as we did when she admitted this!! haha

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Guys? Guys. The plane let us off in Texas. Guys? Why are we in Texas?"

Baby Puke 12-12-13 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wens (Post 16322694)
Sounds good to me. Figuring pursuit out halfway is on my goal list right now (which I really need to actually write down). I'm even going nuts and actually getting aerobars for it. Well, that and to see what I can do in a kilo, just for kicks and giggles.

Believe me when I say you won't be doing a lot of giggling!

carleton 12-12-13 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 16324941)
Believe me when I say you won't be doing a lot of giggling!

Yeah, if you do a kilo right, there won't be any giggling.

My favorite "Kilo Moment" was at 2009 Collegiate Track Nationals when David Espinoza finished his winning kilo, coasted back around to the home-straight apron and simply flopped over on his side...feet still in pedals.

amybikes 12-12-13 03:47 PM

haha!
Some of the guys I race with employ a 'catcher' for the end of kilos. Aka we follow them around the apron when they come off the track, ready to catch them when they can't turn the pedals over anymore.

Quinn8it 12-12-13 04:02 PM

Kilo is not for everyone..
I giggled after when I saw my time on the jumbo tron at e-Nats 2012...

But I'm weird

wens 12-12-13 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 16323736)
That's good to hear. I wont be the only one doing inervals in the 'drome next summer.

I gave that some thought a month or 2 ago. Seems like the perfect place to do threshold intervals. Shouldn't need to change gears for those anyhow, and no stop signs/lights/cars to make me stop, just warm up, bust out 20 mins, roll around the infield for 5, bust out another 20 mins, warm down, and go home, or similar intervals. Seems like a great opportunity.

wens 12-12-13 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16324961)
Yeah, if you do a kilo right, there won't be any giggling.

My favorite "Kilo Moment" was at 2009 Collegiate Track Nationals when David Espinoza finished his winning kilo, coasted back around to the home-straight apron and simply flopped over on his side...feet still in pedals.

Ya, every time I've done one, including a couple times at the end of crits/road races, there's been at least a half hour period where I'm convinced I'm never doing that again. The giggles is because it's not really that similar or relevant to the rest of the training/racing I have planned, and I'm just going to do a little standing start work and see where I end up rather than aim my training that direction.

Baby Puke 12-12-13 06:07 PM

We really need a 'like' button on this thing.

Carleton, does this mean you are racing next season?

carleton 12-12-13 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 16325327)
We really need a 'like' button on this thing.

Carleton, does this mean you are racing next season?

Yeah, I'm back in for next season :D

I'm changing a lot about my program (diet, training, etc...). I did pretty much the same thing for 5 seasons (in terms of volume and intensity) and had moderate gains. I'm now addressing Rule #1 of Masters Track Racing: Don't Be Fat.

I'm also changing how and when I train. Training like the pros just isn't feasible. I did it, and I realized that I sacrificed A LOT to do so. Plus I really think that I was over-training, either mildly or majorly at times. So, now I'm back to creating a solid work/training/life balance.

Brian Ratliff 12-12-13 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16325381)
Yeah, I'm back in for next season :D
...

All right! It's on!

Racer Ex 12-12-13 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff (Post 16325482)
All right! It's on!

Like Donkey Kong.

I think we should age adjust this as well...it's unfair to think that guys are going to get faster once they hit a certain age.

smarter and willing to play the system to their advantage, yes...

wens 12-12-13 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 16325527)
Like Donkey Kong.

I think we should age adjust this as well...it's unfair to think that guys are going to get faster once they hit a certain age.

smarter and willing to play the system to their advantage, yes...

I'm eagerly awaiting the age adjusted 4k equation so I know what my goal should be. Of course I'm going to be trying this with aerobars for the first time this season, so I suppose if I get those sorted reasonably well I should probably make that improvement on position alone. I hope.

carleton 12-12-13 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian ratliff (Post 16325482)
all right! It's on!

:)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 PM.