Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   Interesting finds around the web (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/929230-interesting-finds-around-web.html)

Kayce 01-27-14 05:39 PM

http://missyerickson.wordpress.com/2...-track-cup-ii/

Pretty cool personal blog from Missy Erickson on her trip to Japan.

shrinkboy 01-28-14 02:32 PM

your sig line mentions what is perhaps my all time favorite book in my field of psychotherapy, kayce

Kayce 01-31-14 11:33 AM

http://translate.google.com/translat...iew%2F&act=url

Interview with Zak K. while he was stayher racing in Berlin. Google translate is fun.

Dalai 02-06-14 05:42 AM

Need a set of rollers you can take flying interstate / overseas without remortgaging your house to pay for excess baggage charges? This may be the ticket though may need to remortgage the house to purchase...

http://www.sportcrafters.com/products/omnium-trainer

http://www.sportcrafters.com/sites/d...?itok=3tHaGE9Z

8bits 02-06-14 09:03 AM

how a hed 3 is made, was actually surprised by the amount of foam inside of it! I thought it was going to be much less


queerpunk 02-10-14 02:06 PM

Elia Viviani is riding a track version of a Cannondale CAAD10 - nice.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...99173637_n.jpg

carleton 02-10-14 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queerpunk (Post 16484052)
Elia Viviani is riding a track version of a Cannondale CAAD10 - nice.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...99173637_n.jpg

Nice.


More:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinT (Post 16484630)


More: https://www.facebook.com/CannondaleP.../photos_stream


Is it a new offering or a one-off for a team member? I remember Specialized did one for Cavendish after he won the road World Championship and raced some 6-days afterwards. It even had some custom track cranks. That bike never went to market.

carleton 02-10-14 07:02 PM

http://forallmyfriends.com/wp-conten...type-track.jpg

Impreza_aL 02-10-14 07:11 PM

hollowgram sl srm w/ sram tt ring on the track...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../AceDoWant.gif

shrinkboy 02-12-14 09:00 AM

holy crap the stem on that thing!

Brian Ratliff 02-12-14 09:06 AM

^^^Is a very compact bar. With a standard shaped bar, the stem would be a more normal length.

carleton 02-12-14 01:33 PM

Track racer Giovanni Rey made two very good apps for the track racing crowd. These are actually track racing specific apps. They are both $0.99 and worth much more. They haven't been updated in a while, but they still work just fine.


GearCalc

Quote:

Simple fast and to the point... Calculate your gear, roll out, and speed or time over a fixed distance given cadence.
http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple...en480x480.jpeghttp://a2.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple...en480x480.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gear...412947619?mt=8



VeloTimeMachine

This is *really* good for coaches.

Quote:

The First fully functional, high precision stop watch for the iPhone. Loaded with Track cycling specific features. Including automatic lap-by-lap analysis of speed and cadence, automatic instantaneous emaling of results, and much much more....

Writing by a Cat1/UCI-pro velodrome racer for velodrome racers, coaches, officials, and fans.

Features:

- High Precision stop watch with "no-look" full screen start/lap button.

- Calculates Speed and Cadence for every lap instantly

- Instantly posts results to the internet using automatic seamless integration with iPhone eMail and AddressBook

- Log file management for easily tracking results on the iPhone.

- Unique timing features for counting and estimating missed lap splits or click errors. Also the ability to arbitrarily time sub-laps without disturbing the lap count or lap splits.

- Searchable pre-made or custom event templates for common track events including 1km, 4km, Scratch race and other events on several different track. Including the ability to adjust calculations for odd length tracks and.or race distances.

- Optional Count-down-to-start beeper. 10 second then traditional 5,4,3,2,1 beeps.

- Multiple run-time views including views emphasizing splits formatted to be yelled out.


Overview:


Running the Timer


View of the Timer in run mode showing some of the options. (1) is classic view with speed and cadence analysis turned on. (2) is lap Call out mode where an extra easy to read field has been added that holds just the Second and Tenth of second portion of the last lap split. (3) is an example of the count down to start option. This 10 second animated countdown is accompanied by the traditional 5-beeps if sounds are enabled. Note that any portion of the the large green button may be used to start/lap the timer.


There is no Stop button, after ending the final lap Hit the “done” button. This automatically opens an email window addressed to the rider with an optional CC field. The log has been printed into the body of the message. The final time and event name are in the subject. It is editable, additional comments can be typed before sending.


All times are save in a searchable database. Saved files and be edited for rider name, velodrome/track-length, and missed or inaccurate lap times can be replaced with placeholder timestamps.
http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple...en480x480.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/velo...418069969?mt=8

carleton 02-12-14 01:39 PM

Here is detailed commentary and info about his apps: http://giosiphone.blogspot.com/

carleton 02-16-14 03:05 PM

Ever have a hard time trying to understand which stem to use to get the desired effect?

This will help: http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

zizou 02-21-14 07:42 AM

Interesting article about BT bikes and the design of their bike around the 2000 Olympic Games.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...1/s3109543.htm

carleton 02-21-14 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zizou (Post 16514521)
Interesting article about BT bikes and the design of their bike around the 2000 Olympic Games.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...1/s3109543.htm

That's an awesome read. I'd heard that there was some drama, I just didn't know how much!


http://farm1.staticflickr.com/110/36...60e73f41_o.jpg
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/...bt_stealth.jpg

Velocirapture 02-28-14 06:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So this is not technically from the web (well, the raw data is: http://www.cyclingmasters.com/site/results ), but it occurred to me that it might be interesting for others.

This is a simple comparison of race time changes across age and gender groups (very simple - done in excel as an 'i wonder..' exercise). The avg and stdev are based on predominantly 2012 and 2013 World Masters results, top ten places per event, and the age on the x-axis refers to the starting age of the particular age range.
NB - 2000m pursuit times for age groups that do longer distances, are based on the 2000m split for the longer distance. Likewise for the 500m times - this is just the split for the kilo or 750m as relevant.
Horizontal error bars are an artefact - ignore. the vertical error bars are based on the data sets.



http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=366427

Nagrom_ 02-28-14 09:19 AM

I hate to highlight crashes, but this is pretty spectacular. Looks like the bike goes 10+ feet into the air.

They say the Dutchman made contact, but I don't see it.
Didn't know you could high-side a bicycle.



Glad there were no serious injuries.

queerpunk 02-28-14 11:34 AM

oof. that's a fascinating spill to try to pick apart.

carleton 02-28-14 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocirapture (Post 16534624)
So this is not technically from the web (well, the raw data is: http://www.cyclingmasters.com/site/results ), but it occurred to me that it might be interesting for others.

This is a simple comparison of race time changes across age and gender groups (very simple - done in excel as an 'i wonder..' exercise). The avg and stdev are based on predominantly 2012 and 2013 World Masters results, top ten places per event, and the age on the x-axis refers to the starting age of the particular age range.
NB - 2000m pursuit times for age groups that do longer distances, are based on the 2000m split for the longer distance. Likewise for the 500m times - this is just the split for the kilo or 750m as relevant.
Horizontal error bars are an artefact - ignore. the vertical error bars are based on the data sets.



http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=366427

Nice.

I love data...a lot.

Maybe instead of time in the Y axis, you plot average speed in KPH.

If you want more data (ages, times) you can find lots on USA Cycling's site (which seems to be down at the moment, otherwise I'd add specific links).

Velocirapture 02-28-14 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16535645)
Nice.

I love data...a lot.

Maybe instead of time in the Y axis, you plot average speed in KPH.

If you want more data (ages, times) you can find lots on USA Cycling's site (which seems to be down at the moment, otherwise I'd add specific links).


Great idea. will do that over the weekend and pop the results back up here.
And thanks - i'll have a look at the site. i'm also a definite datanerd :D

Kayce 02-28-14 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queerpunk (Post 16535556)
oof. that's a fascinating spill to try to pick apart.

The track sprinting fb group has some high quality stills in it. From those its pretty obvious that the Dutchman's right leg pushed up on the aussie's arm and lifted the front end off the track. Its a weird one.

Velocirapture 02-28-14 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this still doesn't give any insight into the crash, but its pretty spectacular nonetheless.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=366478

carleton 02-28-14 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocirapture (Post 16535668)
Great idea. will do that over the weekend and pop the results back up here.
And thanks - i'll have a look at the site. i'm also a definite datanerd :D

Here are the results for the last 5 USA Masters Track Nationals:

2009: https://www.usacycling.org/results/i...-2389&view=cat
2010: https://www.usacycling.org/results/i...-2069&view=cat
2011: https://www.usacycling.org/results/i...1-175&view=cat
2012: https://www.usacycling.org/results/i...12-25&view=cat
2013: https://www.usacycling.org/results/i...13-15&view=cat

Go nuts!

Remember to take note of the city and make adjustments or disregard those events that happened at altitude. 2009 and 2012 were held in Colorado Springs, Colorado where the elevation is 6,000ft

Impreza_aL 02-28-14 01:41 PM

though it's a bit dated. pervis interview!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.