Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   Show Off your Track Training and Racing Bikes (2014+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/931020-show-off-your-track-training-racing-bikes-2014-a.html)

carleton 01-22-14 12:56 PM

Show Off your Track Training and Racing Bikes (2014+)
 
The old thread was nearly 7 years old and we as mods need to sort of purge old, long threads to relieve some of the stress on the database.

So, Post your Track training and Racing Bikes! Some of us like to see other setups in order to learn or simply nerd-out on bikes. Show us your bike.

Here's a chance to repost your bikes if you posted in the old thread :D



Please, not street fixed gears or proper track bikes that don't actually go to the track. There is a separate forum for that here: http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...amp-Fixed-Gear

carleton 01-22-14 01:07 PM

My current bike:

Tiemeyer Signature Track
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6...20fa9593_b.jpg

My previous bikes:

LOOK 496 Pista
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/8...296a30dd_b.jpg

Dolan DF3
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5155/6...3446b3c6_b.jpg

Tiemeyer Signature Track (Annodized)
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2760/5...a067312910.jpg

AlexTaylor 01-22-14 01:48 PM

Oof! Nice selection!

carleton 01-22-14 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexTaylor (Post 16432147)
Oof! Nice selection!

Thanks! I have more money than sense :(

Here's what I learned:

- Fit trumps materials every time. A properly fitting aluminum bike is better than carbon.
- Proprietary stems slip.
- Proprietary seatposts slip. 27.2mm seatposts are king.
- Steel track ends slip.
- Titanium track ends don't slip.

bmontgomery87 01-22-14 03:17 PM

Your current setup is definitely the best looking one, I know that doesn't matter in terms of racing. But that's a really attractive setup you've got.

Brian Ratliff 01-22-14 04:03 PM

That saddle on that LOOK seems weirdly placed to me, compared to the other three bikes. Way further back than the others.

carleton 01-22-14 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff (Post 16432536)
That saddle on that LOOK seems weirdly placed to me, compared to the other three bikes. Way further back than the others.

Good eye.

I used to ride 165mm cranks and sit way forward in order to spin them. Last year (under Kirk) I switched to longer cranks, moved the saddle back, and changed other parts of the fit in order to push bigger gears. It was starting to work. Power numbers went up. But, I quit as the season started when work got really stressful.

Here is a more recent pic of my setup:

Notice the setback.
http://i.imgur.com/McaAJXM.jpg

I don't use the Arione anymore, though.

AlexTaylor 01-22-14 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16432299)
Thanks! I have more money than sense :(

Same here, which isn't best ever as I hardly have any money...

Brian Ratliff 01-22-14 05:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New toy:

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...8&d=1390433345

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...9&d=1390433347

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360898http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360899

Mikey58 01-22-14 05:31 PM

Here's mine...
 
1 Attachment(s)
My Felt TK2. I plan to race this at T-town in the Sat. afternoon "Rookies & Masters" races in 2014. The bike is pretty much bone stock. I did replace the Felt aero carbon seatpost with a Nitto alloy unit. Also, I'm currently using 38 cm FSA bars - not really ideal, but they're good enough for now (and better than the funky 3T Sphinx bars that came with it from the factory, IMO).

Mike


http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360897

AlexTaylor 01-22-14 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff (Post 16432766)
New toy

Cool! I ordered one of those a week or so ago. I live 35 minutes away from Dolan so I went in person and will be going to collect it when it's ready and Mr Dolan will make sure it fits :thumb:

carleton 01-22-14 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 (Post 16432417)
Your current setup is definitely the best looking one, I know that doesn't matter in terms of racing. But that's a really attractive setup you've got.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff (Post 16432766)
New toy:

Nice! have you been on the track with it yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey58 (Post 16432773)
My Felt TK2. I plan to race this at T-town in the Sat. afternoon "Rookies & Masters" races in 2014. The bike is pretty much bone stock. I did replace the Felt aero carbon seatpost with a Nitto alloy unit. Also, I'm currently using 38 cm FSA bars - not really ideal, but they're good enough for now (and better than the funky 3T Sphinx bars that came with it from the factory, IMO).

Mike

I've always loved that bike. It's a great all-around bike.

Brian Ratliff 01-22-14 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexTaylor (Post 16432896)
Cool! I ordered one of those a week or so ago. I live 35 minutes away from Dolan so I went in person and will be going to collect it when it's ready and Mr Dolan will make sure it fits :thumb:

It's a pretty fine bike. You'll love it.

One thing that struck me... the Forza is billed as a pursuit and enduro bike, but the geometry is almost identical to the DF3 so I figured I'd get this since it was priced better and the front end geometry was a little more like my other bikes (74.5 degree headtube as opposed to 74 degree for the DF3). Well, I was struck by how stout this bike is; the frame is surprisingly heavy, especially the aero seat post. Not at all like the carbon road bike frames I've seen. I'm a sprinter, so this is a good thing. I don't really care what their marketing copy says... this bike is a fine sprint bike. I can't wait until the track opens up in the spring.

Brian Ratliff 01-22-14 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16432935)
...
Nice! have you been on the track with it yet?
...

Not yet. Just got it this month. Do you know if Alpenrose is even rideable right now? It's been an unnaturally dry winter this year... maybe I'll take it out soon and give it a whirl.

carleton 01-22-14 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff (Post 16432957)
Not yet. Just got it this month. Do you know if Alpenrose is even rideable right now? It's been an unnaturally dry winter this year... maybe I'll take it out soon and give it a whirl.

I was wondering the same thing. It has been relatively warm, too. I'll ask Kirk. He'd probably know.

wens 01-22-14 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff (Post 16432766)
New toy:

[bike pics snipped]

Pretty!

I'm a little bummed I missed out on Tiemeyers. I'm sure the void will be filled though, so I should have an opportunity to get the next great thing.

AlexTaylor 01-22-14 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff (Post 16432947)
It's a pretty fine bike. You'll love it.

One thing that struck me... the Forza is billed as a pursuit and enduro bike, but the geometry is almost identical to the DF3 so I figured I'd get this since it was priced better and the front end geometry was a little more like my other bikes (74.5 degree headtube as opposed to 74 degree for the DF3). Well, I was struck by how stout this bike is; the frame is surprisingly heavy, especially the aero seat post. Not at all like the carbon road bike frames I've seen. I'm a sprinter, so this is a good thing. I don't really care what their marketing copy says... this bike is a fine sprint bike. I can't wait until the track opens up in the spring.

I've heard a few people say that the Forza is plenty stiff enough for the sprints. In fact there are a few sprinters have them and they are on special offer at Dolan so it was rude not to...

I'll be using mine for track and he's drilling the fork for me so I can use it as a fixed TT bike. Can't wait to get it! As soon as I do I'll be trying it out at Manchester velodrome.

Quinn8it 01-22-14 10:10 PM

The Tiemeyer! RIP! i am apparently the only person in nearly 700 bikes that broke the binder bolt support on the frame.. awesome bike!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-h...o/IMAG0313.jpg

i love the DF3! a buddy sold me his used- really a great bike!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n...3756439602.jpg

i was demo'ing this one for the distributor.. had some post slip issues that were made worse by the fact i had to change saddles 2x a day (saddle set-back reg) now that i can have 1 saddle position for sprint and TT i will likely give the Eimei another try..
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-D...001_140734.jpg

Baby Puke 01-22-14 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 16432693)
Good eye.

I used to ride 165mm cranks and sit way forward in order to spin them. Last year (under Kirk) I switched to longer cranks, moved the saddle back, and changed other parts of the fit in order to push bigger gears. It was starting to work. Power numbers went up. But, I quit as the season started when work got really stressful.

Here is a more recent pic of my setup:

Notice the setback.
http://i.imgur.com/McaAJXM.jpg

I don't use the Arione anymore, though.

What is your setback currently?

Brian Ratliff 01-22-14 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16433468)
...
i was demo'ing this one for the distributor.. had some post slip issues that were made worse by the fact i had to change saddles 2x a day (saddle set-back reg) now that i can have 1 saddle position for sprint and TT i will likely give the Eimei another try..
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-D...001_140734.jpg

What is this bike? It looks like a Dolan rear dropout/triangle and fork; almost like a DF3 but with an aero seatpost. That seatpost is also exactly like the Forza seatpost.

I have to admit, I am a little wary of the seatpost slipping on my Forza. OTOH, I had to use a mallet to (very gently) tap the seatpost into the frame and saddle height adjustment requires me to work the seatpost back and forth to make it move; it doesn't slide freely.

Quinn8it 01-22-14 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff (Post 16433513)
What is this bike? It looks like a Dolan rear dropout/triangle and fork; almost like a DF3 but with an aero seatpost. That seatpost is also exactly like the Forza seatpost.

I have to admit, I am a little wary of the seatpost slipping on my Forza. OTOH, I had to use a mallet to (very gently) tap the seatpost into the frame and saddle height adjustment requires me to work the seatpost back and forth to make it move; it doesn't slide freely.

the best i can tell it is the "Dolan Arc" (also sold as a Teschner Track Pro) but with the dropouts from the Forza..

it is being sold as a "Girls Keirin" bike.. looks like all the njs producers are branding carbon frames for the girls..

i am hopeful that upgrading the bolts and using tons of carbon paste will fix the slip... but i know the Arc slipped as well.. so i am nervous.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-s...o/IMAG0887.jpg

Baby Puke 01-22-14 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...6&d=1390456515http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360946

Here's mine.

Edit: How the hell do you get the image to show up full size in the post??

Edit 2: Hmm, That didn't quite do it, but thanks for trying, Brian. I'm not that web savvy.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...6&d=1390456515

Brian Ratliff 01-23-14 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 16433602)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=360946

Here's mine.

Edit: How the hell do you get the image to show up full size in the post??

I don't know the "official" way of doing it, but I publish the post, just like you did, then I click on the thumbnail to open the full size picture in a new window, copy the web address of the picture, and edit the post I just made. Really round about, but I don't know another way except to post the picture on a third party web server.

Brian Ratliff 01-23-14 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 16433564)
the best i can tell it is the "Dolan Arc" (also sold as a Teschner Track Pro) but with the dropouts from the Forza..

it is being sold as a "Girls Keirin" bike.. looks like all the njs producers are branding carbon frames for the girls..

i am hopeful that upgrading the bolts and using tons of carbon paste will fix the slip... but i know the Arc slipped as well.. so i am nervous.

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-siXtdjAP7EI/UZ5C7r_bcJI/AAAAAAAAFn0/yKZSOYeLxSY/w786-h442-no/IMAG0887.jpg[/I MG]

I would think about using a shim. Does the post slip in and out of the frame freely?

carleton 01-23-14 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 16433508)
What is your setback currently?

Was 5cm (in those older photos), now it's around 7cm.

The seat tube angle is an aggressive 76 degrees. That's why I have to jam the saddle all the way back and use a set-back post to get it far enough back.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 PM.