Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   Training Status (http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/931307-training-status.html)

carleton 06-07-14 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theblackbullet (Post 16831042)
Unable to get any time on the track today since I had to get to work by the time we got the track clean enough. Hoping to get some time behind the motor tomorrow though. Gotta be ready for Indy next week!

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...51035445_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...74900945_n.jpg

picked up little bits of information from the neighbors. there was a pretty bad accident that sent a car through the fence, the boards, and then down into the infield around 11 last night. Glass is everywhere :(

That's terrible. I hope that the driver was OK and that you guys get it back up and running soon.

Jaytron 06-09-14 10:57 AM

Hmm, went to my girl's crossfit gym the other day just to check it out (no crossfit work was done by me.. I was allowed to do my own workout). Tested my jumping height and got to about 46.5in without much trouble. Not too bad, I think I want to go for an even 48in next time.

DanAVL 06-12-14 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaytron (Post 16835024)
Hmm, went to my girl's crossfit gym the other day just to check it out (no crossfit work was done by me.. I was allowed to do my own workout). Tested my jumping height and got to about 46.5in without much trouble. Not too bad, I think I want to go for an even 48in next time.

Whenever I want to get one of our guy's box jump height up for a workout including max height in a competition, we usually get an inch or two out of just mobilizing their hips well and focusing on the tuck-jump portion. Your hips are still going to go just as high, but if you can efficiently tuck your legs up further and faster, you can land considerably higher in a deeper squat. Assuming you already have a capacity for jumping and some basic squatting mobility. Then it's just a timing issue.


Training has been great lately. All of my bike efforts are getting stronger and more consistent. I've been stuck on my 250 time for a few weeks but now I can run one second off of it eight times instead of only in one all out effort. That feels like progress? And, it's still fun. That's nice. Barbell strength is coming around surprisingly well. Thought it would take a bit longer with so much time on the bike each week and the level of effort I'm trying to hit. Also, finally caved in and got a vehicle. Which is good because minus the 14 mile commute my legs stay much fresher.

I've seen a few of you guys mention you've moved away from any effort to maintain an aerobic base if you're intention is sprinting. Is this more experienced based? As in, yes everyone should spend time developing or maintaining this LSD base and then move exclusively to sprints and intervals for their sprint training. ?? Without the commute I'd have to factor some of these rides into training. I appreciate any thoughts.

Downside to the truck purchase, the bike fund had to take a hit. Womp, womp, womp.... And I've now seen two locals on full track rigs on our local mellowdrome.
So I'm getting eager to do some informal races with these guys. I enjoy racing the clock but competition is motivating for me. There were a lot of local tri guys out today. Packed. 250m repeats were entertaining.

jmikami 06-13-14 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanAVL (Post 16846755)
Whenever I want to get one of our guy's box jump height up for a workout including max height in a competition, we usually get an inch or two out of just mobilizing their hips well and focusing on the tuck-jump portion. Your hips are still going to go just as high, but if you can efficiently tuck your legs up further and faster, you can land considerably higher in a deeper squat. Assuming you already have a capacity for jumping and some basic squatting mobility. Then it's just a timing issue.


Training has been great lately. All of my bike efforts are getting stronger and more consistent. I've been stuck on my 250 time for a few weeks but now I can run one second off of it eight times instead of only in one all out effort. That feels like progress? And, it's still fun. That's nice. Barbell strength is coming around surprisingly well. Thought it would take a bit longer with so much time on the bike each week and the level of effort I'm trying to hit. Also, finally caved in and got a vehicle. Which is good because minus the 14 mile commute my legs stay much fresher.

I've seen a few of you guys mention you've moved away from any effort to maintain an aerobic base if you're intention is sprinting. Is this more experienced based? As in, yes everyone should spend time developing or maintaining this LSD base and then move exclusively to sprints and intervals for their sprint training. ?? Without the commute I'd have to factor some of these rides into training. I appreciate any thoughts.

Downside to the truck purchase, the bike fund had to take a hit. Womp, womp, womp.... And I've now seen two locals on full track rigs on our local mellowdrome.
So I'm getting eager to do some informal races with these guys. I enjoy racing the clock but competition is motivating for me. There were a lot of local tri guys out today. Packed. 250m repeats were entertaining.

I am no true track sprinter by any means, but I always advise my sprinter friends to keep up some amount of base to ensure I don't kilo them all day long. Plus warm up and warm down and a day of racing makes for some need for general fitness ... even for the sprinters.

That said, a sprint is not an endurance event, so I am sure that people can go faster than me without any aerobic work at all. But can they keep it up and win in the finals as well?

I am curious what advise the sprinter types give you.

Baby Puke 06-15-14 11:07 PM

Dammit, I got the job. This could ruin everything.

carleton 06-16-14 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 16854421)
Dammit, I got the job. This could ruin everything.

Best bad news ever.

VanceMac 06-19-14 06:46 AM

Bit of post-States depression. Feels like season is over, even though Master States in just a few weeks. Haven't ridden all week... thank goodness for the weights.

gtrob 06-19-14 08:19 AM

Nationals' schedule was posted yesterday, sort of a kick in the arse reminder. Trying to put together a TP team but its not going overly well, might have to be a last minute entry, if at all. Might have to be made up of US riders lol. Otherwise going to try for the Omnium, focus is IP and Kilo from a training perspective. No more road racing non-sense.

queerpunk 06-19-14 09:51 AM

yeah, i just saw the nationals schedule, too.

I'm not sure if i'm just going to do mass start races, or if i'm also going to do the international omnium.

kind of like how much time can i take off?

gtrob 06-19-14 10:59 AM

The TP being in the middle of a Thursday is going to make it even harder to get people haha


I was thinking of doing the Omnium in the international event the week before nationals, but have no thoughts of doing well. UCI CL1 event right before worlds. Not to mention the track will be hosting PanAm games 8 months later... Probably going to see some heavy hitters. But its 15mins from my house, can't NOT go lol

VanceMac 06-19-14 11:08 AM

Sadly, no International Omnium at Masters Nats... despite strong participation when they tried it 2 years ago: The Official Website - USA Cycling

gtrob 06-19-14 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queerpunk (Post 16864690)
yeah, i just saw the nationals schedule, too.

I'm not sure if i'm just going to do mass start races, or if i'm also going to do the international omnium.

kind of like how much time can i take off?

Where are you coming from again? would you fly here? Let me know what dates you are ever coming, I live between the airport and the track so can help you get sorted if you are in town.

queerpunk 06-19-14 11:44 AM

thanks! but, whoops, it looks like you're talkin' about canada and i'm talkin' about the usa.

slindell 06-19-14 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanceMac (Post 16864969)
Sadly, no International Omnium at Masters Nats... despite strong participation when they tried it 2 years ago: The Official Website - USA Cycling

The omnium at masters nats listed there is not an event. They just collect the points from the individual events and calculate the omnium points from the placings like a standard race night. There was some award, not sure if there is a medal to go with it. It was popular because you are entered if you enter and place in any race. If not showing up for other years it may just be a reporting difference.

gtrob 06-19-14 12:38 PM

well if you want to hurt, come to this :)

Milton International Challenge - Domestic - Events - Track - Cycling Canada Cyclisme

VanceMac 06-19-14 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slindell (Post 16865220)
The omnium at masters nats listed there is not an event. They just collect the points from the individual events and calculate the omnium points from the placings like a standard race night. There was some award, not sure if there is a medal to go with it. It was popular because you are entered if you enter and place in any race. If not showing up for other years it may just be a reporting difference.

You are correct. There WAS a masters IO at Elite Nats that year, but it was only 35+.

VanceMac 01-18-15 05:42 PM

Was planning on taking a year semi-off track and doing more MTB.

Screw that. Kilos forever.


dunderhi 01-18-15 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanceMac (Post 17480800)
Screw that. Kilos forever.

I just turned 50 and apparently a kilo is too long for guy my age. Half-kilos forever. :lol:

Hermes 01-18-15 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanceMac (Post 17480800)
Was planning on taking a year semi-off track and doing more MTB.

Screw that. Kilos forever.


I was thinking what is VanceMac up to. We will be the the Feb LAVRA.

VanceMac 01-18-15 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 17480901)
I was thinking what is VanceMac up to. We will be the the Feb LAVRA.

I will try to make it over and say hi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunderhi (Post 17480877)
I just turned 50 and apparently a kilo is too long for guy my age. Half-kilos forever. :lol:

I just turned 52, which is old enough to not let UCI/USAC tell me what to do. ;)

dunderhi 01-18-15 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanceMac (Post 17480933)
I just turned 52, which is old enough to not let UCI/USAC tell me what to do. ;)

Yeah, but I bet the USAC officials will get pretty upset when you do those extra two laps at the Masters Nationals. :eek:

gtrob 01-18-15 08:48 PM

fast cool downs.

Im trying a more sprinter training approach this year. I'm never, ever, going to be able to keep up with the pro/c1 road riders who come to the track, and find the points race and pursuit to be quite dull anyway.

To that end, do you 'sprinters' actively shy away from longer efforts? For example in the summer, do you avoid going for a 2 or 3 hour ride on the weekend? Talking more to the guys who CAN ride for 3hrs :P Im a firm believer in riding long and slow makes you good at riding long and slow, not short and fast. But how much would 1 long ride per week hurt my efforts in a quicker 200m?

I have to say I would miss those occasional long rides in the country side to the various bakeries. Driving to them is never as satisfying..

carleton 01-18-15 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrob (Post 17481209)
fast cool downs.

Im trying a more sprinter training approach this year. I'm never, ever, going to be able to keep up with the pro/c1 road riders who come to the track, and find the points race and pursuit to be quite dull anyway.

To that end, do you 'sprinters' actively shy away from longer efforts? For example in the summer, do you avoid going for a 2 or 3 hour ride on the weekend? Talking more to the guys who CAN ride for 3hrs :P Im a firm believer in riding long and slow makes you good at riding long and slow, not short and fast. But how much would 1 long ride per week hurt my efforts in a quicker 200m?

I have to say I would miss those occasional long rides in the country side to the various bakeries. Driving to them is never as satisfying..

Yeah, I believe that modern coaching methodologies dictate around an hour and no more than 2 of road riding per road session for dedicated sprinters. This, of course, is assuming that you are already fit and don't need LSD rides to burn fat.

This ties in with the idea that between "fast twitch" and "slow twitch" muscle fiber types there is a middle type that can be converted either way based on training. So, as a sprinter, if you train using long endurance rides, they will convert to "slow twitch". If you don't, they will convert to "fast twitch".

There are a few studies that back this up. I've read one in particular from UP UP UP, I think, that backed this idea up.

gtrob 01-18-15 09:19 PM

Ok how about this situation

sun is shining, Sunday traffic is low, I HAVE to be outside on my bike. As a sprinter would it be better to:

A: rider super slow, like Z1/2, go to the gym after/before.
B: really push it, Z3/4 most of the time, lots of climbs, make it a real workout.
C: do Z2 for the most part, but schedule in 30-90s hard efforts. This is still a 2hr ride though, so its a long time between efforts.

I think C makes the most sense from a sprinter perspective, but not sure how enjoyable it would end up being.


Also, again I realize Im a little all over the place, but where does a 3-5min VO2 max climb fit in? There is a hill I love to train on that is like 18%, 4-5min slow cadence effort. Is this a useless effort for a sprinter?

VanceMac 01-18-15 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrob (Post 17481289)
sun is shining, Sunday traffic is low, I HAVE to be outside on my bike. As a sprinter would it be better to:

A: rider super slow, like Z1/2, go to the gym after/before.
B: really push it, Z3/4 most of the time, lots of climbs, make it a real workout.
C: do Z2 for the most part, but schedule in 30-90s hard efforts. This is still a 2hr ride though, so its a long time between efforts.

Even as an enduro, and I do not like (and have no use for) anything in z1/2. I'll see my road racer friends (whose training I used to mimic, in those days before track) doing 300-400 mile weeks with most of them looking like this:


No thank you. I am aware of the supposed benefits that the establishment conveys to these types of rides. I will begrudgingly concede a couple of those benefits for the road racer crowd... but don't buy any of them for anyone "shorter" (crit, omnium, sprinter). If you enjoy it, that's fine. But I wholeheartedly believe that "volume is a speed killer" (Aussies ).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.