Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 491

Thread: Training Status

  1. #101
    Senior Member VanceMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    4,178
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
    I'm never doing it for more than an hour.
    That's 3x longer than I've ever made it...

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi road, Panasonic track, Dolan DF3
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMac View Post
    That's 3x longer than I've ever made it...
    Haha! I'm usually done in half that, the only reason I'd last an hour is if I add in longer rest periods.

  3. #103
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Confession: I have inquired about a ridiculously expensive frame that I do not need.

  4. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi road, Panasonic track, Dolan DF3
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Confession: I have inquired about a ridiculously expensive frame that I do not need.
    Ok, spill the details!

  5. #105
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
    Ok, spill the details!
    Well...

    I have adopted a much different bike fit over the past year. Between getting better flexibility, better leg/belly clearance, I'm laying down flatter and extending arms further. This is MUCH longer reach than I've used in the past. When I use a 130mm stem and the long reach EC90 bars I still don't have the reach my new position requires. I'm already exceeding the "bars can't be further than 5cm in front of the front axle" rule. The end result is that I need a 60cm TT. My Tiemyer is 58cm with a Reach of 438mm.

    Mr. Tiemeyer has retired, otherwise I'd ask him to make me another.

    There are only a few middle to high-end track frames that come in a true 60cm that would offer significantly more than 438mm of reach. (Learning about Stack and Reach has been amazing for me, BTW). For example, the "61cm" Felt TK2's reach is 438mm...the same as my 58cm Tiemeyer, which is the same as the 59cm Dolan DF3.

    The frames with longer Reach are:

    - Hoy Fiorenzuola
    - Fuji Track Elite
    - Felt TK1

    Concerns:

    Hoy Fiorenzuola: It's an entry level frame. I'm a heavy guy that stress frames a lot during standing starts. Hoy says that it can withstand his starts...but he's selling bikes now I can't find any reviews yet.

    Fuji Track Elite: It uses the Ritchey Seat Mast Topper using a 1-bolt seat rail binder that has been known to allow the saddle slip and tilt, even under moderate weight roadies. It uses a proprietary carbon seatpost that may slip. That's a deal breaker. I'm going to pass on this one.

    Felt TK1: It uses proprietary seatpost, but it's a dead-stop post that you have to cut to measure. Also, the 3T seat binder is indexed, so no tilting. But, you can add shims to stack it back up. It has a 40mm offset fork (was sluggish to me). That is not a deal breaker.

    So, it's down to two:
    - Hoy Fiorenzuola
    - Felt TK1


    Am I missing any other 60cm bikes?

  6. #106
    Senior Member Quinn8it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hollywood
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit wins!

    id go high end steel...
    http://mothattack.com/

  7. #107
    VeloSIRraptor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,318
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno how soon you are wanting the new bike, but you could talk to JTW- I bet he'd build you one of those homegrown "beefy bikes" around an Alpina Wing Pista (30mm rake)
    He could give you the front.center & wheelbase you want while are at it (since I *know* you have opinions about those)

    Or, I hear Stoemper is making bikes these days? (you gotta like rad paint schemes tho)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    If it comes down to a field sprint, you probably won't win, so don't let it.

  8. #108
    Snail-paced new boy AlexTaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    My Bikes
    Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter
    Posts
    1,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoy was at my local track trying the bike out before it was released with two coaches from the track. He was absolutely giving it full gas. He said to them he wouldn't sell it if it wasn't up to his standard...
    Twitter - @NapD
    Current number of working legs - 1************X****2
    eWang - 3X******************4 w/kg

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi road, Panasonic track, Dolan DF3
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YAMAGUCHI, kudasai!

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be keeping an eye on this development Carleton.

    Since JS has stopped making his Alien frames, I have often wondered what I would do if mine broke or I wanted to upgrade. Seeing as it's a 61cmTT, there aren't many directions to go from here besides custom. My sprint setup already uses a 140mm stem on the bike. The next best opportunity would be 60cmTT, so I'm interested. Also because of your stance with seatposts, I'm interested.

    Is there any particular reason for not looking at the Serenity? I know you've had issues in the past with the seat posts, but there's not many around here, let alone under anyone other than a middleweight, so not much genuinely similar experience to draw on. I'm happy with my seat mast, so I was interested in the Serenity seat mast option.

    Although a TK1 would be nice, it's not listed on the Australian Felt site at all, only the 2/3.

  11. #111
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn8it View Post
    Fit wins!

    id go high end steel...
    http://mothattack.com/
    I totally agree. It doesn't have to be carbon.

    When I had the TK1 before, I bought it new. The saddle kept dipping on me. I later found out that this was a known issue that lighter riders experienced, too. I imagine that's why they switched from the Ritchey seat mast topper to the 3T. But, I sold the TK1 at a slight loss and took the funds and bought a new Tiemeyer.

    Moth Attack looks great. The "Mothra" is priced at $2,600.



    I priced another similar "sprinter-friendly" steel bike at just under $3,000. Those make my $1,500-ish Tiemeyer seem like a steal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hida Yanra View Post
    I dunno how soon you are wanting the new bike, but you could talk to JTW- I bet he'd build you one of those homegrown "beefy bikes" around an Alpina Wing Pista (30mm rake)
    He could give you the front.center & wheelbase you want while are at it (since I *know* you have opinions about those)

    Or, I hear Stoemper is making bikes these days? (you gotta like rad paint schemes tho)
    Who is "JTW"?

    Yes. I have LOTS of opinions!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaylor View Post
    Hoy was at my local track trying the bike out before it was released with two coaches from the track. He was absolutely giving it full gas. He said to them he wouldn't sell it if it wasn't up to his standard...
    That is great to hear! At $1,000 ($1,250 shipped to the US) for a complete bike, that's an amazing value. Who needs aero tubes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
    YAMAGUCHI, kudasai!
    I actually looked at those.

  12. #112
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
    I'm going to be keeping an eye on this development Carleton.

    Since JS has stopped making his Alien frames, I have often wondered what I would do if mine broke or I wanted to upgrade. Seeing as it's a 61cmTT, there aren't many directions to go from here besides custom. My sprint setup already uses a 140mm stem on the bike. The next best opportunity would be 60cmTT, so I'm interested. Also because of your stance with seatposts, I'm interested.

    Is there any particular reason for not looking at the Serenity? I know you've had issues in the past with the seat posts, but there's not many around here, let alone under anyone other than a middleweight, so not much genuinely similar experience to draw on. I'm happy with my seat mast, so I was interested in the Serenity seat mast option.

    Although a TK1 would be nice, it's not listed on the Australian Felt site at all, only the 2/3.
    I've seen too many people have issues with the one-bolt saddle clamp systems and proprietary seatposts that can slip. So, I categorically reject them.

    The only reason I'm considering the TK1 is because the "difflock" system is splinded and indexed. So, in order to tilt it, you have to remove the guts, tilt, then re-install the guts.



    I still think that a 27.2 Thomson is the best seatpost ever. This is why the Hoy is on the list and the Fuji and Serenity are not. It kills me to see bike manufacturers fix something that isn't broken.
    Last edited by carleton; 02-19-14 at 03:45 PM.

  13. #113
    Senior Member Brian Ratliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Near Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
    Posts
    9,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carleton, if you are considering custom steel, check out Ti Cycles. Some of the sprinters at the Alpenrose really like his frames.
    Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
    "If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

  14. #114
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff View Post
    Carleton, if you are considering custom steel, check out Ti Cycles. Some of the sprinters at the Alpenrose really like his frames.
    Yeah, that's the one that was quoted to be "Just under 3 grand." for one that would suit me. That's a lot for a steel bike that won't have the same resale value (speaking of percentage of initial cost) as one of the others mentioned above.

  15. #115
    VeloSIRraptor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,318
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, FTW- finger slip.
    (Frank the Welder)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    If it comes down to a field sprint, you probably won't win, so don't let it.

  16. #116
    Senior Member Brian Ratliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Near Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
    Posts
    9,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    ...
    The only reason I'm considering the TK1 is because the "difflock" system is splinded and indexed. So, in order to tilt it, you have to remove the guts, tilt, then re-install the guts.
    ...
    Man, that "difflock" system looks over-complicated. And even though it has that fancy double splined thing to make the pitch finer, at the end of the day, it's still splined. Notice in their video, the saddle went from nose low to very slightly nose-high. IMHO, there are several ways of making solid one and two bolt systems and with the difflock it seems like the engineers all went on a bender and picked the most complicated system possible just to be different. I'm sure it works fine, but damn, they chose a complicated route to get there.

    My new Dolan came with a two bolt system very similar to the Thomson and it is solid. I agree with you, the Thomson style clamp is the most fundamentally sound seatclamp you can find. Forces in all directions are taken up by bolts in tension (as opposed to splines or *gulp* friction), just as god intended.
    Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 02-19-14 at 04:09 PM.
    Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
    "If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

  17. #117
    Senior Member Brian Ratliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Near Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
    Posts
    9,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Yeah, that's the one that was quoted to be "Just under 3 grand." for one that would suit me. That's a lot for a steel bike that won't have the same resale value (speaking of percentage of initial cost) as one of the others mentioned above.
    As I was writing that, I was wondering if you hadn't already talked to them. Oh well. There's a reason I didn't go this route either...

    FWIW, my Dolan looks solid. I'm pretty certain the seatpost won't be slipping on me (good seatpost fit and well-designed clamp).
    Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
    "If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi road, Panasonic track, Dolan DF3
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually looked at those.[/QUOTE]

    ...and then you bought one? Yamaguchi is a not-so-secret lust of mine. Probably also not cheap.

  19. #119
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
    ...and then you bought one? Yamaguchi is a not-so-secret lust of mine. Probably also not cheap.
    Why is their website soooo dated?
    http://www.yamaguchibike.com/content/Frames/Track

    But the prices are from the future:

    Price List
    Aero Track $2,500 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Aero Road $2,650 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Messenger-2 $2,500 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Lugged Track $2,800 (NJS Keirin Frame Looks)
    Lugged Road $2,950 (Traditional Lugged Road)
    Team USA Track $2,800 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Team USA Road $2,950 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Cyclocross $3,000 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    700 CMX $3,000 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Magnum Track $3,300 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Magnum Road $3,450 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Team USA Kilo/Pursuit $3,800 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Team USA Time Trial $3,950 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Team EDS STD $4,500 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Team EDS DX $7,000 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze with Ti Aero Fins)
    Asymmetric $6,000 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)
    Tandem $7,000 (Lug-less Fillet-Braze)

  20. #120
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By the way, the award for the Least Informative Bike Website goes to BT.


    http://www.biketechnologies.com/inde...d=54&Itemid=60

    It only has like 10 detailed pics of the frame and the only info offered:

    Product information coming soon.
    It's been that way since 2009. No price (sorta important), no specs, no size options, no angles, no geometry, no marketing jargon. Oh and what if I want to buy one? Sorry. Ask Santa. Maybe he'll bring you one because the website won't tell you how to get one.

  21. #121
    Senior Member VanceMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    4,178
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    It's been that way since 2009. No price (sorta important), no specs, no size options, no angles, no geometry, no marketing jargon. Oh and what if I want to buy one? Sorry. Ask Santa. Maybe he'll bring you one because the website won't tell you how to get one.
    Intentional, no? My impression is that they don't want to sell to consumers, they only go through the motions to satisfy UCI (or Olympic?) requirements?

  22. #122
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMac View Post
    Intentional, no? My impression is that they don't want to sell to consumers, they only go through the motions to satisfy UCI (or Olympic?) requirements?
    Really? Ha.

    Why do so many show up on the local/masters scene in Australia and whatnot? It looks like they are just as popular as US company high-end bikes are in the US (Felt TK1, Serenity, etc...)

    (Don't give us Masters crap for spending lots on bikes when we are slow as molassas. That money helps the bike companies )

  23. #123
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,046
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Update on the bike:

    Living in Portland is awesome. I just talked to a local frame builder and I'm meeting him after work. His ballpark prices are reasonable.

  24. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi road, Panasonic track, Dolan DF3
    Posts
    672
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, contact BT and see what the deal is. That is my #1 dream bike. I can live vicariously through you.

  25. #125
    Senior Member Quinn8it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hollywood
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i had normal dimensions- instead of being built like Pan,

    Id just ride an EAI Bare Knuckle..

    all you need is a stiff- strong bike that isn't a total anchor and it HAS TO FIT!

    save your money for other stuff..

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •