Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-14, 03:23 PM   #51
Quinn8it
Senior Member
 
Quinn8it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never exceeded and rarely replicate the Max-Power numbers I logged in my first year of coached training... Despite every time getting significantly faster since then.

1-sec power doesn't mean ****!
Quinn8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 03:43 PM   #52
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Posting power numbers is pointless as they pertain to the individual racer and would need a lot of context explanation to understand. A max power number generated during a standing start is different from one generated at 140 rpm. However, power is a racers' currency to buy speed. The more currency you have the more speed you can buy. However, the cost of the speed is a function of many factors including CdA, friction, wind, Rho, and other factors.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 05:07 PM   #53
Cantrackie
Junior Member
 
Cantrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Bikes: TK1
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All valid points, just to clarify the tests were "6 sec max power" with the same protocols. They also had similar drop off on the curves.
Just posted because I found it interesting how over time the number hadn't changed much, especially interesting to me because the lack of training
Cantrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 05:19 PM   #54
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrackie View Post
All valid points, just to clarify the tests were "6 sec max power" with the same protocols. They also had similar drop off on the curves.
Just posted because I found it interesting how over time the number hadn't changed much, especially interesting to me because the lack of training
To be honest, those numbers are great.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 05:24 PM   #55
jmikami
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alpenrose - Portland
Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The key to sprinting, IMO, is max 25 sec power, I use 30 second because it is built into my software, but they are all really 25 second efforts when I look at them. After that the ability to do so at high and changing RPMs as you have to race in one gear only. So as is often said max wattage will sound cool, but not equate to a fast 200m, flying lap or even standing start, and certainly not win your sprint. My max power is far less than most top sprinters, but I have added another ability to my tool chest, recovery. By riding more miles than most sprinters and doing more hill work, crits and endurance riding in general I will often turn my fastest 200 meter time during my last ride of a sprint tournament. Most sprinters tend to die out and not look forward to best 2 or 3 finals. I need a best 2 of 3 and will usually get better as the day gets longer.

That said, a 2000 watt max 5 sec or even 1 second burst is going to be very useful if you have the rest of the package to support it. And I would agree that my sprint is there all year round too, what changes are the rest of the tools and my ability to recover and sprint again or sprint for longer than 5 seconds. When I came back to racing every year after my 2 to 6 month winter break, my top end is there on day one, my ability to get there and hold it however need to be trained through sprint work outs. So, IMO, the point of sprint workouts for some of us is to round out the rest of the package, not increase your max 1 or 5 second time. However there is training that will increase 1 and 5 second numbers for those of us under 2k watts, not sure if you are going to get much over that if you are already there, so you need to work on the rest.
jmikami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 05:33 PM   #56
jmikami
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alpenrose - Portland
Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
On a related note: I watched a masters guy (6'2", 220lbs, built like a linebacker) over the course of several years spend tens of thousands of dollars on the kind of bike gear that you see in magazines so that he could hang on for dear life on the back of CAT4 crits and get dropped on road races. He had several accomplished trackie friends say, "You should really try the track...seriously." For years, he resisted. Then one year he tried it and guess what? He rarely finished out of the top 3 of any race he contested. Even after the relatively moderate success, he still went back to road/crit riding for more back-of-the-pack suffering. I never understood that.
I can very much relate to that. My body likely lends itself to being a pure sprinter and most of my results point towards that, but I have always wanted more. I have done more stage races than sprint tournaments, but I am often dead last, or bottom 5 at best in most stage races. However, there is something about that suffering and general idea of stage race that makes me want to do them. I also love the idea of hard races and part of me would feel much better winning a hard hilly and technical crit or road race than winning a track race, even though they do not suit me or my training style. I am not sure why, and lately I have tended towards track races as I have kids and the velodrome is close, but the allure of winning a road race or the GC of a stage race is still in my head while out on my training rides.
jmikami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 07:04 PM   #57
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrackie View Post
All valid points, just to clarify the tests were "6 sec max power" with the same protocols. They also had similar drop off on the curves.
Just posted because I found it interesting how over time the number hadn't changed much, especially interesting to me because the lack of training
BTW, your power is just sick, ridiculous and amazing. And you can buy a lot of speed for that amount of power. When I did standing start clinics with the Brits, they were all about focus and commitment to the start. Max power is very much mental as it is physical. You may have had an amazing day years back and or a not so hot mental day lately.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 07:32 PM   #58
Quinn8it
Senior Member
 
Quinn8it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrackie View Post
tests were "6 sec max power" with the same protocols.
so 2100w for 6sec? assuming you are 200lbs that puts you off the charts
Quinn8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 07:36 PM   #59
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn8it View Post
so 2100w for 6sec? assuming you are 200lbs that puts you off the charts
We will have to call him Sir Cantrackie.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 12:42 AM   #60
Cantrackie
Junior Member
 
Cantrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Bikes: TK1
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quinn,
it is a 6 sec peak power test, first 2 seconds are peak then drop off. Plain and simple max power.

test
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn8it View Post
so 2100w for 6sec? assuming you are 200lbs that puts you off the charts
Cantrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 12:43 AM   #61
Cantrackie
Junior Member
 
Cantrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Bikes: TK1
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's a lot better than what I'm usually called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
We will have to call him Sir Cantrackie.
Cantrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 09:26 AM   #62
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,481
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Does anyone have a good guide and the spreadsheet for calibrating SRM Cranks?
If you didn't get this, let me know. I built one out.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 10:32 AM   #63
flip.flop
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have average cadence figures for endurance races? Would like to know what other people regularly output to see if this is something I need to particularly work on or not. Thanks in advance.
flip.flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 10:47 AM   #64
jmikami
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alpenrose - Portland
Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip.flop View Post
Does anyone have average cadence figures for endurance races? Would like to know what other people regularly output to see if this is something I need to particularly work on or not. Thanks in advance.
I target 105 with gear choice - give or take - but that is me and I do it so I can keep a cadence of closer to 90 for when the race slows down.. 88 for slower races and 94 for the fastest races. More important than average cadence in an endurance race is how jumpy is the race. in a lower category or a slow points race, it pays off to have a little gear, in a point a lap or typically even paced race it can pay off to have a bigger gear. If you want to get in a break and keep the pace up, go big, if you want to stay back and jump a lot go low.

Edit: 88 to 94 is talking gear inches for the races.

Last edited by jmikami; 04-06-14 at 01:43 PM.
jmikami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 11:09 AM   #65
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
If you didn't get this, let me know. I built one out.
I found one. Thanks!
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 07:30 PM   #66
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,481
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip.flop View Post
Does anyone have average cadence figures for endurance races? Would like to know what other people regularly output to see if this is something I need to particularly work on or not. Thanks in advance.
How tall is a tree?

if I ride 105 RPM average it means I rode 105 RPM average. It doesn't mean that's my most effective cadence, or your most effective cadence. It might have been the race that dictated that number, or my choice of gearing for that particular day.

The better question is "should I work on my maximum effective cadence?"

And there is no "best" MEC, it varies individually.

If you need to ride a small gear to handle the surges, and find yourself undergeared in the sprints, that answer is most likely "yes", though it may be that you need to work on lower RPM force generation as well.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 12:19 AM   #67
flip.flop
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks both who answered.

Racer ex, I see your point(s), and wasn't looking for a best anything, more like some data to compare to. When you say effective, I would understand you mean effective in a race - I was trying to understand what other people find effective to get a feel for where my data lies.
flip.flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 12:11 PM   #68
slindell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrackie View Post
All valid points, just to clarify the tests were "6 sec max power" with the same protocols. They also had similar drop off on the curves.
Just posted because I found it interesting how over time the number hadn't changed much, especially interesting to me because the lack of training
To bring in the wisdom of C&W songs - "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was".
I have found training is more for repeated efforts and sustained work, the single shorter efforts can even be better with minimal training. So a single sprint, or short scratch race is ok, a points race will probably hurt.
slindell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 12:17 PM   #69
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,961
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
How tall is a tree?
Usually about 45-50.
queerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 03:58 PM   #70
Quinn8it
Senior Member
 
Quinn8it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe we should steer this thread back over to power analysis??
Quinn8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 04:02 PM   #71
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn8it View Post
Maybe we should steer this thread back over to power analysis??
Good point.

I've moved that conversation to the questions thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycl...re-thread.html
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 04:14 PM   #72
Quinn8it
Senior Member
 
Quinn8it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll get us back on course-

the Coggin Cycling Category by W/Kg is not a good metric for me- and despite having a respectable kilo- it puts me squarely in cat-5 for 1-min power...

Is W/Kg totally useless for track?

thinking about this because after losing 20lbs- I set a 5-sec W/kg PR at my first track session of the year.. Where I never switched out of warm-up gear (81").. (It was a beginner intro session I helped with)
Quinn8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 04:35 PM   #73
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn8it View Post
I'll get us back on course-

the Coggin Cycling Category by W/Kg is not a good metric for me- and despite having a respectable kilo- it puts me squarely in cat-5 for 1-min power...

Is W/Kg totally useless for track?

thinking about this because after losing 20lbs- I set a 5-sec W/kg PR at my first track session of the year.. Where I never switched out of warm-up gear (81").. (It was a beginner intro session I helped with)
Yeah, that W/Kg chart can be misleading just like a squat standards chart: "If you weigh x a good squat will be y." There was one floating around that Rippetoe used then denounced.

I think Coggan's W/Kg chart was a fun thing to do with all of the data that he had. But, it's not as useful as one might think. Just like BMI standards based on height vs weight. In short, it's bad statistics.

So, any conclusions drawn from it are all houses built on sand.

As you know, you can manipulate your max power by using lower-than-race gears. Also, spikes of power can skew the averages greatly.

Instead of the "2,000W Club" being a thing, there should be "40mph/65kph Club" and "45mph/70kph Club"...that would be more telling.

Last edited by carleton; 04-14-14 at 04:38 PM.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:14 PM   #74
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I did the 500 meter, 4K team pursuit and 2K individual pursuit on Sunday at the LAVRA TT at Velo Sports Center in Carson, CA - 250 meter indoor wooden track 45 degrees of banking.

Here is the power profile for the 2K. I included the L/R balance (Vector Power Meter) that appear as dots in the individual pursuit.



Here is the 4k team pursuit.



Great day of racing.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:21 PM   #75
Quinn8it
Senior Member
 
Quinn8it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice Hermes!!
Is that initial drop in power on the 2K your transition to seated/aero position?
Quinn8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 PM.