Let's get some updates. Who are the next generation of American sprinters? What's happened to the last crew?
Here's what I know:
- Jimmy Watkins retired (but who doesn't love this guy's story?)
- Kevin Masker "blew up his knee and sold all his stuff". Any details here?
- Michael Blatchford was making a comeback in '12, but I heard he got selected for the first manned mission to Saturn and has been undergoing some rigorous testing in a remote government facility on the dark side of the moon. Anyone heard different?
- Giddeon Massie is, please forgive me, past his prime.
- Matt Baronowski is still in the game, but I sense he's pretty much reached his highest attainable level. I would love to be wrong.
- TrackCliche is on his way up, and once he improves his F200 by around 20% will be in contention at the World Cup level
- Lakatosh? I get the impression he's a good T-town rider, but not really World caliber.
Let's stay away from the usual blame game to be played with USAC's lack of development, the likelihood that "sprinter-types" will go to the NFL, yadda yadda. And yes, we've got good enduro women.
Where are our Nothsteins, Gorskis, Vailses, Hartwells, and Carpenters? Who's next?