Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-14, 08:52 PM   #1
bobbyl1966
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
question for velodrome.

What is the difference between track and velodrome. How do you learn ride bike with no brakes. In the city i live have open velodrome i have two road bikes with gears i want go ride in the velodrome see how is. Is allowed bikes with gears and brakes or that palces is just for bikes made for velodrome or track. No gears and no brakes. And how do you deside or know what size crank and cog you put in your bikes
bobbyl1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 09:29 PM   #2
gtrob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Bikes: T1, S2, P3
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A track is a song on an album. If you put your CD player on random, it will play a random track for example.


I would ask the people at the local velodrome what kind of bike they allow. They may have bikes you can borrow. All velodromes all over the world have different rules and speeds. See if they have an introductory class you can take.
gtrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 09:54 PM   #3
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl1966 View Post
What is the difference between track and velodrome. How do you learn ride bike with no brakes. In the city i live have open velodrome i have two road bikes with gears i want go ride in the velodrome see how is. Is allowed bikes with gears and brakes or that palces is just for bikes made for velodrome or track. No gears and no brakes. And how do you deside or know what size crank and cog you put in your bikes
In what city do you live?
Does that velodrome have a website? Usually rules and classes are posted there.

There is no difference between a "velodrome" and a "track". "Velodrome" is French. "Track" is German.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 10:04 PM   #4
bobbyl1966
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Atlanta ga. The velodrome called dicklane. the website is The Dick Lane Velodrome. I not see ionfo for what bikes can use. I see the fee is $5. i see have email i write tommorow and ask info about the bikes can use or i go in person one day and ask.
bobbyl1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 10:05 PM   #5
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
There is no difference between a "velodrome" and a "track". "Velodrome" is French. "Track" is German.
To clarify...in this context (among Trackies) "velodrome" and "track" mean the same thing. In the broader world, a velodrome is a specific type of track like an orange is a specific kind of fruit.

There are obviously other kinds of track:
- Auto race tracks
- Athletics tracks
- Go-cart tracks
- Inline skating tracks
- etc...

So to people who participate in those activities, "track" means something different to them.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 10:12 PM   #6
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl1966 View Post
I live in Atlanta ga. The velodrome called dicklane. the website is The Dick Lane Velodrome. I not see ionfo for what bikes can use. I see the fee is $5. i see have email i write tommorow and ask info about the bikes can use or i go in person one day and ask.
Ha! Were you at DLV tonight? I was there. I was the fabulous lap counter dude.

I wrote some of the information in the DLV website. Look closely.

Certification Classes | The Dick Lane Velodrome
FAQ | The Dick Lane Velodrome

Keep an eye out for a fall certification class. There is an email address on that page. Email Brian and ask when he's hosting the next class.

You definitely cannot ride a road bike on the DLV track.
Although the track has an open gate, you must complete the beginner's course, sign a waver, and pay a small fee to train there.
The gate is unlocked because neighbors walk around the apron for exercise.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 10:14 PM   #7
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
There is racing tomorrow night and next Tuesday and Wednesday nights, then that is the end of the racing season. I'd suggest that you come and watch and see the fun before the season ends.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 10:26 PM   #8
bobbyl1966
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thank you for the info. I do want watch the race. Thank you for you tell me i cant use road bike in the velodrome. Do you rent bikes. The class and learn i want do that. I really want learn to ride bike with no brakes and how do people deside what size crank and cog is good for the velodrome.
bobbyl1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 11:25 PM   #9
Tman1965
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
...
There is no difference between a "velodrome" and a "track". "Velodrome" is French. "Track" is German.
Ahja, wirklich? Wenn ich mich so recht entsinne, nennt sich der "Track" "Radrennbahn". And according to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam Webster;
Origin of TRACK
Middle English trak, from Middle French trac
First Known Use: 15th century
even track has french origin.
And considering that the Brits had her their first "track", ehm I meant velodrome, in 1868 and the first "Radrennbahn", I meant "track", in Germany was built in 1880, the word "track" must be German. or was it the other way round? I'm confused now, but German and also in ATL.
Tman1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 02:13 AM   #10
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl1966 View Post
thank you for the info. I do want watch the race. Thank you for you tell me i cant use road bike in the velodrome. Do you rent bikes. The class and learn i want do that. I really want learn to ride bike with no brakes and how do people deside what size crank and cog is good for the velodrome.
The bike will be provided in the beginner classes. But you will eventually have to purchase your own. Please email Brian for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman1965 View Post
Ahja, wirklich? Wenn ich mich so recht entsinne, nennt sich der "Track" "Radrennbahn". And according to
even track has french origin.
And considering that the Brits had her their first "track", ehm I meant velodrome, in 1868 and the first "Radrennbahn", I meant "track", in Germany was built in 1880, the word "track" must be German. or was it the other way round? I'm confused now, but German and also in ATL.
Before it was the Frech "trac" or "traquer" it was the Low German/Dutch "trek"

carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 04:57 AM   #11
Tman1965
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
...
Before it was the Frech "trac" or "traquer" it was the Low German/Dutch "trek"

Source? You know the science game

All I can find says "possibly" or "perhaps" like your image, not too too much for a claim. Even Centre National de Ressources Textuelles et Lexicales, which should be the authority, do not agree. They find the proposed Dutch origin (Diez) not so likely for reasons of geography and first appearance. But then again French are notorious for not accepting any external influences when it comes to their language... and Germans are anal... Americans are...
Anybody here with prejudices?
Tman1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 08:39 AM   #12
gtrob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Bikes: T1, S2, P3
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There is only one dictionary on the internet that matters

Urban Dictionary: Track
gtrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 02:15 PM   #13
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman1965 View Post
Source? You know the science game

All I can find says "possibly" or "perhaps" like your image, not too too much for a claim. Even Centre National de Ressources Textuelles et Lexicales, which should be the authority, do not agree. They find the proposed Dutch origin (Diez) not so likely for reasons of geography and first appearance. But then again French are notorious for not accepting any external influences when it comes to their language... and Germans are anal... Americans are...
Anybody here with prejudices?
My source
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 03:21 PM   #14
Baby Puke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF3, Intense Pro24 BMX
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OED: Etymology: < Old French trac (1440 in Hatzfeld and Darmesteter), traq, French trac: ulterior derivation uncertain, but generally thought to be from Germanic. Diez and Scheler would connect it with Middle Low German and Dutch treck , trek draught, drawing, pull, line drawn, etc., < trecken , trekken to draw, pull, tug, drag, haul (in Middle Dutch rarely tracken ): see track v.2
Baby Puke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 03:33 PM   #15
gtrob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Bikes: T1, S2, P3
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
sticky?
gtrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 AM.