Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sick... AHHH!

  1. #1
    Meow! my58vw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverside, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
    Posts
    6,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sick... AHHH!

    Alright I just got sick... first time in about 3 years it seems.

    Yesterday I was doing a nice endurance ride on the trainer to get ready for today. That turned into an LT workout with anaerobic sprints (20 seconds). On my last sprint (number 5) I went for about 10 seconds then all the sudden I felt week and I leaned forward causing my feet came unclipped and I fell off the trainer. I got up stunned and I felt misrable. I immeditaly drunk some water and my throat was on fire. I layed down and my whole body felt weak. After about an hour I started feeling a little better. I got up and went to work.

    I progressivly got worse at work, I felt dizzy and my nose started running. On the way home I was out of it, ended up stopping and sleeping in my car for a few hours at the gas station about 7 miles from home. I went home about 2 am and fell asleep on the couch as soon as I got in. My alarm went off around 6:00 am for my group ride, I had set it the day before but I could not get up to shut it off. I ended up missing my Sunday morning ride and was in bed all day. I am now at work, feeling crappy but sitting behind a desk I am just vegitating. I have no appatite, I can not eat anything substantial.

    How long do I need to be off the bike before I can get back to riding? How do you recommend that I come back? I hope to be feeling better by Monday but I do not know how long this thing will last. All I could think lying in bed was the race next Sunday....

    Thanks...
    Just your average club rider... :)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ann arbor, mi
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe you should just take a week or 2 off from riding.

    i know very very little about optimal training etc, but: what you just said in the above post is 'unusual' and 'strange'. take a break. don't think about riding. go chase girls or whatever excites you. it's spring, fer chrissakes. love is in the air.

    seriously: i've noticed great gains in my fitness from taking time off. if you want to not be sick, and be able to stay w/ the pack, you really need relax and let your body get stronger. can't force it.

    but that's just my opinion. good luck

  3. #3
    Meow! my58vw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverside, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
    Posts
    6,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitly agree with that, that is why I am adding more rest days in my schedule... expecially with an increase in the internsity of my workouts...

    As I said I do not get sick all that often. It could be just the time of year. I can not afford to take a week off though... unless the sickness lasts that long... we will see.
    Just your average club rider... :)

  4. #4
    the dog ate my earbuds KirkeIsWaiting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    My Bikes
    '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel
    Posts
    2,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hair07
    maybe you should just take a week or 2 off from riding.
    take a break. don't think about riding. go chase girls or whatever excites you. i've noticed great gains in my fitness from taking time off.
    but that's just my opinion. good luck

    That's very good advice. I'll second that.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ann arbor, mi
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my58vw
    I definitly agree with that, that is why I am adding more rest days in my schedule... expecially with an increase in the internsity of my workouts...

    As I said I do not get sick all that often. It could be just the time of year. I can not afford to take a week off though... unless the sickness lasts that long... we will see.

    again, just my uninformed opinion, but:
    rest days do not equal week off. sorry. take a week off. not a rest day. not an 'easy day'. and what the hell is an endurance ride which turns into an lt ride? i've never heard of that. take a week off. what do you mean you can't take a week off? are you pulling in needed income from bike racing? if you are, then ok. but if not, what 'can't afford'? you can afford. maybe you can't afford to keep going the way you are? it's making you sick and fall off trainers and sleep at gas stations etc. unless you usually do this stuff, for some odd reason riding bikes has screwed your head. i suggest taking a week off. just so you don't worry: my experience has always been that after taking a week off, my first day back i feel stronger than before. not weaker. so you might even gain. i would just say this: where has overtraining (which is, afterall, what you're doing) gotten you? what do you have to lose?

    but what do i know.

  6. #6
    Meow! my58vw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverside, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
    Posts
    6,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that I am not getting "paid" to race but that is not what I mean by can not afford to take a week off. I took a six days off about 2 weeks ago after the Redlands Classic. I felt very strong after that week off. Since then I have cut my workouts to 4 -5 max days per week.

    I am now getting 8 - 10 hours of sleep per day, my body feels strong going into each workout, I can not say that before. The race next Sunday is very important to me as a indicator of how far I have come since I raced the same race about 8 weeks ago. I opted out of the race this week so I will feel strong going into next Sunday.

    I am sure the warning signs were there about getting sick even on Friday. Some flu bug has been going around here lately. I do not think it is a function of overtraining this time because my legs are not tired, they actually feel ready to go. I am not exhibiting any simptoms of overtraining right now. Any one can get sick, it is just how it goes. My body just decided that when I stated riding that it was going to finally manafest that it was sick.

    How does an endurance workout turn into an LT workout... easy, riding how I feel. I just had a day off completly and I was feeling strong. I rode for about 30 minutes in the small ring (39-14) before deciding to push a little. I did not do a full LT workout though, small intervals with sprints. I had noy real direction going into this workout, that is how it went to where it went.

    Now if the sickness continues to come then I will have to evaluate whether I am overtraining or not. You ask where has "over"training got me - nowhere, but I ask where has "training" got me - 1 MPH off the pace in a crit, being able to not be laped in a one hour crit after being dropped, 2 MPH faster overall speed average, increase of power...

    BTW good advice from someone who says "but what do I know?"
    Just your average club rider... :)

  7. #7
    sundy hopeful berny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    My Bikes
    Connondale MTB, Malvern Star (historic) Orbea, GT (newest)
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go see the doc!!!!!
    The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ann arbor, mi
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my58vw
    I agree that I am not getting "paid" to race but that is not what I mean by can not afford to take a week off. I took a six days off about 2 weeks ago after the Redlands Classic. I felt very strong after that week off. Since then I have cut my workouts to 4 -5 max days per week.

    I am now getting 8 - 10 hours of sleep per day, my body feels strong going into each workout, I can not say that before. The race next Sunday is very important to me as a indicator of how far I have come since I raced the same race about 8 weeks ago. I opted out of the race this week so I will feel strong going into next Sunday.

    I am sure the warning signs were there about getting sick even on Friday. Some flu bug has been going around here lately. I do not think it is a function of overtraining this time because my legs are not tired, they actually feel ready to go. I am not exhibiting any simptoms of overtraining right now. Any one can get sick, it is just how it goes. My body just decided that when I stated riding that it was going to finally manafest that it was sick.

    How does an endurance workout turn into an LT workout... easy, riding how I feel. I just had a day off completly and I was feeling strong. I rode for about 30 minutes in the small ring (39-14) before deciding to push a little. I did not do a full LT workout though, small intervals with sprints. I had noy real direction going into this workout, that is how it went to where it went.

    Now if the sickness continues to come then I will have to evaluate whether I am overtraining or not. You ask where has "over"training got me - nowhere, but I ask where has "training" got me - 1 MPH off the pace in a crit, being able to not be laped in a one hour crit after being dropped, 2 MPH faster overall speed average, increase of power...

    BTW good advice from someone who says "but what do I know?"
    good luck and get well.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    My Bikes
    Cecil Walker-about 20years old
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some echinacea into you and enjoy your break.Your obviously very motivated and it wont be long until your peaking again.

  10. #10
    Meow! my58vw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverside, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
    Posts
    6,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just wanted to let everyone know what is going on.

    My research professor had a really nasty flu a week ago and he was out for a few days. I called him up and he said this was exactly what he was going though for a few days. The last few days I have been stuck in bed. Last night was horrible though.

    I was feeling better so I decided to go to work. Things went downhill quickly and I ended up getting real hot real quick. After an 8 hour shift I was starting to get un corridinated and my body was burning up bad. My whole body was in pain, the kind of pain you get after a hard race. I got in my car and headed over to the ER because I was feeling so bad. On the way there I got pulled over, I guess I was swerving on the road, I do not remember that but... The officer called my parents to pick up the car and take me to the ER.

    My temperature was 104 degrees, I was serverly dehydrated (even with drinking about 1 gallon of water). I was disoriented and stayed there for 6 hours with an IV. They said I had a very bad fever and the flu. I got a shot and they sent me home. I have been in bed all day, and said do not eat anything solid until tomarrow. The doctor said I should be back on the bike by Wednesday if I am feeling better.

    I am glad I went to the ER, who knows what could have happened if I would have went home. Tonight I am feeling much better.
    Just your average club rider... :)

  11. #11
    sundy hopeful berny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    My Bikes
    Connondale MTB, Malvern Star (historic) Orbea, GT (newest)
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get well.
    The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •