Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why doesn't Gatorade have magnesium?

    and why does it make a point of it, by putting on their label: "mangnesium.....0.0mg"?

    other products have mag, but Gatorade are like: "look, we don't have ANY magnesium."


    ???

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    portland or
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because as usual they sell hype over health.

  3. #3
    Upgrading my engine DXchulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm....I have 2 bottles right here and neither of them mention magnesium. I see calories, fat, sodium, potassium, carbohydrates, and protein. The protein and fat are there at zero, but I'm guessing those are required categories.

    The endurance formula has magnesium in it.

  4. #4
    SSP
    SSP is offline
    Software for Cyclists SSP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Redding, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Posts
    4,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard Gatorade is also short on sodium (IMO), and potassium. It's called a "thirst quencher", not an "endurance exercise energy and electrolytes performance drink".

    It's better than nothing, but if you're going long, I recommend adding (per bottle) 1/4 tsp or so of salt, 1/8 tsp of "No Salt" (potassium chloride), and a dash of magnesium citrate powder (available through vitamin outlets). I also like to add some calcium citrate, and some ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

  5. #5
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DXchulo
    Hmm....I have 2 bottles right here and neither of them mention magnesium. I see calories, fat, sodium, potassium, carbohydrates, and protein. The protein and fat are there at zero, but I'm guessing those are required categories.

    The endurance formula has magnesium in it.
    might be a South Pacific thing




    I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with having magnesium?

    I can't imagine why
    Last edited by 531Aussie; 04-18-05 at 02:56 AM.

  6. #6
    BikeForums Founder Joe Gardner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Holladay, Utah.
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Superlight w/ Roholoff 500 & Bob IBEX
    Posts
    4,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some athletes think potassium or magnesium help combat cramping due to excessive sweat loss, however fluid and sodium depletion is more likely the cause. The amount of magnesium lost through sweat is negligible, making magnesium supplementation unnecessary. Magnesium and potassium are stored in the body, so deficits are rare. Potassium supplements can be dangerous - abnormal heart rhythms have occurred. Sports drinks like Gatorade contain sodium and potassium in amounts sufficient to replace what is lost through sweat.

    -- Ellen Coleman, MPH, MA, RD, Sports Nutritionist, marathoner, cyclist and two-time Ironman finisher

    Source: http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/4..._q5.cfm?pid=38

  7. #7
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    I also like to add some calcium citrate, and some ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
    this one has calcium silicate

  8. #8
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,929
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quik-Eze. One tablet and you're fixed. It's the magnesium AND calcium that counts. But only in my experience, of course.

  9. #9
    Maglia Ciclamino gcasillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If some folks had their way, fluids would be so saturated with everything they're "missing," they'd be solids. Hey, there's an idea: food.

  10. #10
    Evil Genius capsicum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sumner, WA
    My Bikes
    '92 novara ponderosa, '74 schwinn le tour, Novara fusion, novara transfer, novara randonee(2), novara careema pro, novara bonita(2).
    Posts
    1,529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    Some athletes think potassium or magnesium help combat cramping due to excessive sweat loss, however fluid and sodium depletion is more likely the cause. The amount of magnesium lost through sweat is negligible, making magnesium supplementation unnecessary. Magnesium and potassium are stored in the body, so deficits are rare. Potassium supplements can be dangerous - abnormal heart rhythms have occurred. Sports drinks like Gatorade contain sodium and potassium in amounts sufficient to replace what is lost through sweat.

    -- Ellen Coleman, MPH, MA, RD, Sports Nutritionist, marathoner, cyclist and two-time Ironman finisher

    Source: http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/4..._q5.cfm?pid=38
    A lot of potassium is lost through sweat(not as much as sodium) but the others are only minor losses lik you say. However americans are generally mag deficiant anyway and without enough mag, calcium is not utilized and just flushes on out.

    The risk of overly high K levels and their effect is quite real and should be kept in mind.
    However it takes a moderately heavy hand to cause problems when using K suppliments, you won't ever get enough from fresh food alone to cause problems, and a 1/6teaspoon(1g) of nusalt is about like a bannana at 530mg and a medium potato has 750mg, heck the minimum RDA is 2,000mg (DON'T TAKE 2,000mg AT ONCE!! It could kill you.)
    "Data is not the plural form of annecdote."
    "yuo ned to be deadurcated"

  11. #11
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capsicum
    The risk of overly high K levels and their effect is quite real and should be kept in mind.
    However it takes a moderately heavy hand to cause problems when using K suppliments, you won't ever get enough from fresh food alone to cause problems, and a 1/6teaspoon(1g) of nusalt is about like a bannana at 530mg and a medium potato has 750mg, heck the minimum RDA is 2,000mg (DON'T TAKE 2,000mg AT ONCE!! It could kill you.)
    that's what I was thinkin'. As far as I know, loss of potassium on long, hot rides can also be dangerous as it is essential for (among other things) normal cardiac muscle function. And who's gunna be poppin GRAMS of the stuff???!!!


    http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/a.../Potassium.htm

  12. #12
    SSP
    SSP is offline
    Software for Cyclists SSP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Redding, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Posts
    4,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capsicum
    A lot of potassium is lost through sweat(not as much as sodium) but the others are only minor losses lik you say. However americans are generally mag deficiant anyway and without enough mag, calcium is not utilized and just flushes on out.

    The risk of overly high K levels and their effect is quite real and should be kept in mind.
    However it takes a moderately heavy hand to cause problems when using K suppliments, you won't ever get enough from fresh food alone to cause problems, and a 1/6teaspoon(1g) of nusalt is about like a bannana at 530mg and a medium potato has 750mg, heck the minimum RDA is 2,000mg (DON'T TAKE 2,000mg AT ONCE!! It could kill you.)
    That's an important safety tip.

    FYI - the RDA for potassium was raised last fall to 4,700 mg/day, for adults and adolescents. I think this was based on how higher levels of potassium help reduce blood pressure.

    Ironically, you can buy straight potassium chloride (No Salt, or salt substitute) in the grocery store, but potassium supplements in pill form are limited to 99 mg per pill.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

  13. #13
    Upgrading my engine DXchulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Standard Gatorade is also short on sodium (IMO), and potassium. It's called a "thirst quencher", not an "endurance exercise energy and electrolytes performance drink".

    It's better than nothing, but if you're going long, I recommend adding (per bottle) 1/4 tsp or so of salt, 1/8 tsp of "No Salt" (potassium chloride), and a dash of magnesium citrate powder (available through vitamin outlets). I also like to add some calcium citrate, and some ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
    The Endurance Forumla has more of both sodium and potassium.

  14. #14
    Upgrading my engine DXchulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    5,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 531Aussie
    might be a South Pacific thing




    I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with having magnesium?

    I can't imagine why
    Yeah....that's completely different, even with the spelling of "flavour" (Lemon-Lime is the best, BTW). Check out gatorade.com for an American label. Maybe they have to report magnesium as part of the standard nutrition fact guide.

    mmol on a Gatorade label? The USA is too afraid of science for that.

  15. #15
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be

    the Aus/New Zealand food assoc. are apparently quite powerful

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •