Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-05, 11:02 PM   #1
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 9,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why doesn't Gatorade have magnesium?

and why does it make a point of it, by putting on their label: "mangnesium.....0.0mg"?

other products have mag, but Gatorade are like: "look, we don't have ANY magnesium."


???
531Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 11:32 PM   #2
steveknight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: portland or
Bikes:
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
because as usual they sell hype over health.
steveknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 11:39 PM   #3
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno
Bikes:
Posts: 5,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hmm....I have 2 bottles right here and neither of them mention magnesium. I see calories, fat, sodium, potassium, carbohydrates, and protein. The protein and fat are there at zero, but I'm guessing those are required categories.

The endurance formula has magnesium in it.
DXchulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 12:49 AM   #4
SSP
Software for Cyclists
 
SSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redding, California
Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Posts: 4,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Standard Gatorade is also short on sodium (IMO), and potassium. It's called a "thirst quencher", not an "endurance exercise energy and electrolytes performance drink".

It's better than nothing, but if you're going long, I recommend adding (per bottle) 1/4 tsp or so of salt, 1/8 tsp of "No Salt" (potassium chloride), and a dash of magnesium citrate powder (available through vitamin outlets). I also like to add some calcium citrate, and some ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 02:34 AM   #5
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 9,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Hmm....I have 2 bottles right here and neither of them mention magnesium. I see calories, fat, sodium, potassium, carbohydrates, and protein. The protein and fat are there at zero, but I'm guessing those are required categories.

The endurance formula has magnesium in it.
might be a South Pacific thing




I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with having magnesium?

I can't imagine why

Last edited by 531Aussie; 04-18-05 at 02:56 AM.
531Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 02:56 AM   #6
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder
 
Joe Gardner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Utah.
Bikes:
Posts: 4,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some athletes think potassium or magnesium help combat cramping due to excessive sweat loss, however fluid and sodium depletion is more likely the cause. The amount of magnesium lost through sweat is negligible, making magnesium supplementation unnecessary. Magnesium and potassium are stored in the body, so deficits are rare. Potassium supplements can be dangerous - abnormal heart rhythms have occurred. Sports drinks like Gatorade contain sodium and potassium in amounts sufficient to replace what is lost through sweat.

-- Ellen Coleman, MPH, MA, RD, Sports Nutritionist, marathoner, cyclist and two-time Ironman finisher

Source: http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/4..._q5.cfm?pid=38
Joe Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 02:59 AM   #7
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 9,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP
I also like to add some calcium citrate, and some ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
this one has calcium silicate
531Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 04:41 AM   #8
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,928
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Quik-Eze. One tablet and you're fixed. It's the magnesium AND calcium that counts. But only in my experience, of course.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 05:35 AM   #9
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino
 
gcasillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfield, OH
Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker
Posts: 3,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If some folks had their way, fluids would be so saturated with everything they're "missing," they'd be solids. Hey, there's an idea: food.
gcasillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 05:37 AM   #10
capsicum
Evil Genius
 
capsicum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sumner, WA
Bikes: '92 novara ponderosa, '74 schwinn le tour, Novara fusion, novara transfer, novara randonee(2), novara careema pro, novara bonita(2).
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
Some athletes think potassium or magnesium help combat cramping due to excessive sweat loss, however fluid and sodium depletion is more likely the cause. The amount of magnesium lost through sweat is negligible, making magnesium supplementation unnecessary. Magnesium and potassium are stored in the body, so deficits are rare. Potassium supplements can be dangerous - abnormal heart rhythms have occurred. Sports drinks like Gatorade contain sodium and potassium in amounts sufficient to replace what is lost through sweat.

-- Ellen Coleman, MPH, MA, RD, Sports Nutritionist, marathoner, cyclist and two-time Ironman finisher

Source: http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/4..._q5.cfm?pid=38
A lot of potassium is lost through sweat(not as much as sodium) but the others are only minor losses lik you say. However americans are generally mag deficiant anyway and without enough mag, calcium is not utilized and just flushes on out.

The risk of overly high K levels and their effect is quite real and should be kept in mind.
However it takes a moderately heavy hand to cause problems when using K suppliments, you won't ever get enough from fresh food alone to cause problems, and a 1/6teaspoon(1g) of nusalt is about like a bannana at 530mg and a medium potato has 750mg, heck the minimum RDA is 2,000mg (DON'T TAKE 2,000mg AT ONCE!! It could kill you.)
capsicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 06:38 AM   #11
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 9,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
The risk of overly high K levels and their effect is quite real and should be kept in mind.
However it takes a moderately heavy hand to cause problems when using K suppliments, you won't ever get enough from fresh food alone to cause problems, and a 1/6teaspoon(1g) of nusalt is about like a bannana at 530mg and a medium potato has 750mg, heck the minimum RDA is 2,000mg (DON'T TAKE 2,000mg AT ONCE!! It could kill you.)
that's what I was thinkin'. As far as I know, loss of potassium on long, hot rides can also be dangerous as it is essential for (among other things) normal cardiac muscle function. And who's gunna be poppin GRAMS of the stuff???!!!


http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/a.../Potassium.htm
531Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 08:43 AM   #12
SSP
Software for Cyclists
 
SSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redding, California
Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Posts: 4,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
A lot of potassium is lost through sweat(not as much as sodium) but the others are only minor losses lik you say. However americans are generally mag deficiant anyway and without enough mag, calcium is not utilized and just flushes on out.

The risk of overly high K levels and their effect is quite real and should be kept in mind.
However it takes a moderately heavy hand to cause problems when using K suppliments, you won't ever get enough from fresh food alone to cause problems, and a 1/6teaspoon(1g) of nusalt is about like a bannana at 530mg and a medium potato has 750mg, heck the minimum RDA is 2,000mg (DON'T TAKE 2,000mg AT ONCE!! It could kill you.)
That's an important safety tip.

FYI - the RDA for potassium was raised last fall to 4,700 mg/day, for adults and adolescents. I think this was based on how higher levels of potassium help reduce blood pressure.

Ironically, you can buy straight potassium chloride (No Salt, or salt substitute) in the grocery store, but potassium supplements in pill form are limited to 99 mg per pill.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 08:46 AM   #13
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno
Bikes:
Posts: 5,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP
Standard Gatorade is also short on sodium (IMO), and potassium. It's called a "thirst quencher", not an "endurance exercise energy and electrolytes performance drink".

It's better than nothing, but if you're going long, I recommend adding (per bottle) 1/4 tsp or so of salt, 1/8 tsp of "No Salt" (potassium chloride), and a dash of magnesium citrate powder (available through vitamin outlets). I also like to add some calcium citrate, and some ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
The Endurance Forumla has more of both sodium and potassium.
DXchulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 08:50 AM   #14
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno
Bikes:
Posts: 5,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
might be a South Pacific thing




I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with having magnesium?

I can't imagine why
Yeah....that's completely different, even with the spelling of "flavour" (Lemon-Lime is the best, BTW). Check out gatorade.com for an American label. Maybe they have to report magnesium as part of the standard nutrition fact guide.

mmol on a Gatorade label? The USA is too afraid of science for that.
DXchulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 09:03 AM   #15
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 9,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
could be

the Aus/New Zealand food assoc. are apparently quite powerful
531Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 PM.