Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Polar HRM - changing battery

    Has anyone tried changing the battery in a Polar HRM themselves (I've got the S725), rather than sending it back to Polar as they recommend? If so, any problems? When mine eventually runs flat, I'm not keen on sending it away and being without it for a few days (weeks?). Thanks.

  2. #2
    Guest
    Guest
    I've never tried, but they do say if you try to change it and something goes wrong, they can't help you or do much for you. They really do their best to put the fear of God into you.

    On the other hand, you can call around to jewellers in the area and see if any of them can do it for you.

    Koffee

  3. #3
    On Your Right ZackJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    1,422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed the battery in my old Polar Coach and it worked fine until I replaced with with a S625X.
    "You never fail, you simply produce results. Learn from these" - Anonymous

  4. #4
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,873
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A watch shop guy did my old Polar Edge a few years ago with no problems.

    The last I heard, Polar say they must be pressure and water tested, but I don't swim with mine, so there

    But, I just had my 2+ year old Polar A3 sent off for a new battery, and they "coincidentally" found that the belt was no good, and therefore needed replacing. Total service cost: $72 AUS for a $170 Monitor.

    The cynic in me wonders how often customers get the call that "an extra fault has been detected; we recommend you spend much more money."

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Aegis Swift, Titus Racer x
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago, I had a guy in a fitness equipment store swear that he was authorized to replace the batteries in Polar HRM's so I let him do it. The seal was broken and even though I don't swim with it every time I went out on a humid day the face fogged up.

    Fortunately, Polar knew about this guy and replaced the unit for free. Whew!

    I now have a 610 and last week I got a message when I downloaded my exercise information that my battery is low. I will definitely send it back to Polar for repair. I won't take a chance again.

    In the meantime I ordered a Cambriatta www.cambiatta.com. as a substitute. I only need an uncoded HRM strap. It should be in Tuesday.

    Kathi

  6. #6
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed the battery in my s710 with no problems.. The biggest issue is finding the battery.. I called 5 watch shops and many other places and could not find a battery..

    I ended up buying 2 on ebay and then did it myself.. If you have the right screwdrivers its very easy..

    They use a model CR2354. Here is the link to seller, I had them checked and they were full strength..

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to maintain warranty, send it back to Polar to do. Otherwise, any local jeweller.

  8. #8
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,873
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed

    you've ventured onto the training forum? bit of a rarity

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 531Aussie
    Ed

    you've ventured onto the training forum? bit of a rarity

    I'm bored, shags.....I'll see who I can stir up around here.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Just did it on my s710 . seems to work good. Just be sure the seal ring is clean and

    Quote Originally Posted by viva View Post
    Has anyone tried changing the battery in a Polar HRM themselves (I've got the S725), rather than sending it back to Polar as they recommend? If so, any problems? When mine eventually runs flat, I'm not keen on sending it away and being without it for a few days (weeks?). Thanks.
    in place when you put it back together. Battery was less than $2 on ebay

  11. #11
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I changed the battery on my 725 several times until I must have made some mistake and had to send it in to have the guts replaced. I don't think I came out on it, but it was close. I sent it to a local authorized repair guy and got it back in 2-3 days. A jeweler is not an authorized Polar facility unless they say so. I'd just as soon do it myself.

  12. #12
    Senior Member nkfrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Posts
    1,464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my Polar RS800CX into a local jeweler / authorized Polar repair; and he had a very difficult time getting the wristwatch unit plastic back removed without tearing it up.
    The dime slot took a beating, Polar had it torqued down too tight.
    Next time (very soon) it will have to go back to Polar. The jeweler said he wouldn't be able to work on it again.

    The HRM was marketed as "multi-sport" so imagine my surprise when it did not transmit while swimming.
    So I will be using my swimming HRM on the bike while the RS800CX is getting serviced.
    It won't show my cadence in the polarpersonaltrainer.com website but it handles the important stuff - speed, distance, heartrate.

    My employer gives us financial incentives to log our physical activity using the VirginHealthMiles site; it only accepts the web-uploadable Polar HRM's and the GoZone pedometers.
    So I am pretty much locked into Polar for now.

  13. #13
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nkfrench View Post
    I took my Polar RS800CX into a local jeweler / authorized Polar repair; and he had a very difficult time getting the wristwatch unit plastic back removed without tearing it up.
    The dime slot took a beating, Polar had it torqued down too tight.
    Next time (very soon) it will have to go back to Polar. The jeweler said he wouldn't be able to work on it again.

    The HRM was marketed as "multi-sport" so imagine my surprise when it did not transmit while swimming.
    So I will be using my swimming HRM on the bike while the RS800CX is getting serviced.
    It won't show my cadence in the polarpersonaltrainer.com website but it handles the important stuff - speed, distance, heartrate.

    My employer gives us financial incentives to log our physical activity using the VirginHealthMiles site; it only accepts the web-uploadable Polar HRM's and the GoZone pedometers.
    So I am pretty much locked into Polar for now.
    There are only seven authorized Polar repair facilities in the Unites States:
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/service
    You took it to one of these? I've had very good experiences with the center that serves my part of the country.

    They're not supposed to ruin it and give it back to you. That's the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Replace battery

    Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    in place when you put it back together. Battery was less than $2 on ebay
    Why bother recharging a $2 battery?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •