Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 80 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2457
  1. #1976
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Bay Area
    My Bikes
    trek 7.2, 7.3FX, 5200 OCLV
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from 250lbs to 195lbs, so I lost 55lbs eversince started biking last year. For my 6'2" body frame, 195lbs is the ideal weight but I'm looking to lose another 10lbs. The commute is 12 miles one way (24 miles both way) to work everyday and still eat loosely. Here in Atlanta is pretty hilly and windy, so I do get a pretty well rounded cross training. So far I have logged 3000 miles from May 2006 till now. Feels great without the extra burden on body. Backpain and ankle problems went way. Clothes won't fit anymore.


    H23NC,

  2. #1977
    jrn
    jrn is offline
    Downhill from here jrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South of the 22nd parallel
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice jobs Ginny and H23!! My commute is about 12 miles each way also, I reeeally need to start biking it (without getting run over ...

  3. #1978
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Holt, MI
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbikem
    I sense another Southern African on the forum. Lechwe -- are you from Zambia? I am Zimbabwean. My family lived in Kitwe for 2 years (1994-1996) and I attended Lechwe School.
    Unfortunately I have never seen the continent although that is a dream of mine. I chose that screen name because the Lecwhe is one of my favorites and I have always wanted one. It was also a different name than everyone else had. Only people from over there have any idea what Lechwe means so it keeps the others guessing.

  4. #1979
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Bay Area
    My Bikes
    trek 7.2, 7.3FX, 5200 OCLV
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jrn,



    Thanks. I'm sure you can do it too, especially living in Hawaii with the nice weather all year round and the expensive gasoline tax overthere. How many pounds you're looking to lose? Keep up with the bike commute. later.




    H23NC,




    Quote Originally Posted by jrn
    Nice jobs Ginny and H23!! My commute is about 12 miles each way also, I reeeally need to start biking it (without getting run over ...

  5. #1980
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone. I currently weigh about 260-270 and am about 6'2". Can't believe it, I was about 225lb when I got out of college about 2 years ago. I'd love to get back down to that and lower. Just need to get riding a decent distance daily and eat better. I bike commute, but I only live about 2-2.5mi from work so it is a quick 10-15 minute ride.

  6. #1981
    jrn
    jrn is offline
    Downhill from here jrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South of the 22nd parallel
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H23,
    I think the main obstacle for me commuting is my wife thinks it's just very dangerous in general riding on roads with cars. I think we'll have to compromise somewhere in the middle. I've gone from 210 to 185 since april but my ideal weight is somewhere around 155-165. I'm still pluggin along!

  7. #1982
    CAG
    CAG is offline
    Speed on the Flats! CAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 FX
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAG
    I am in my mid 40s, 6' 2" 250, but I am a life long weightlifter as well as a new biker. My goal is to cut about 20 or 25 more pounds off my frame, while maintaining as much of my muscle mass as possible, so far its been successful, mixing my workouts with biking 2 or 3 hours a day, still doing the heavyweight workouts in the late afternoon and doing the starimaster at the gym in the evening (I have cut back to every other workout), but I am thinking that as the weather gets better, I will be spending even more time on the bike, until summer hits like a flat iron (Texas!) so I will likely be dropping the stairmaster until late in the summer...

    But what I really need is nutritional guidance, as I know next to nothing about real nutrition, except dont exceed meal sizes and stay away from junk...
    I have lost another 20 pounds since I posted this, and my am biking, on average, has increased to 250 miles or so a week on my Trek Madone 5.9 SL. I've also ridden in 5 rallies (including the MS-150) and I do 4 group rides a week (averaging over 21 mph) and 1 day on the velodrome track here locally on my Bianchi Pista. I have been bitten by the ride bug and its sunk its teeth in deep!

  8. #1983
    Live to ride,ride to live joshdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Prelude
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New guy here. I just started cycling about 2.5 months ago. And I hit the ground running. I love this and can't get enough of it. Each time I ride I feel I have accomplished something. I am 22 years old and I have struggled with being obese my entire life. I was at my heaviest about 2 years ago, 450+ lbs. Now I am at 260 lbs. Yay me! I picked up cycling as part of a weightloss activity but in the short amount of time I have been doing it I have fallin' in love with the sport.

    My goal weight is 180.

  9. #1984
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Holt, MI
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

    That's awesome. Keep up the good work.

  10. #1985
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Aggieland
    My Bikes
    Cannondale 2.8 Ultegra / 105
    Posts
    520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

    Welcome to weight loss club and bikeforums. You're doing great, keep up the good work.

    Come down to Nashville sometime and we will go riding on the trace. I would like to get some riding done in hills around m'boro too.

    Have you joined the local bike club yet?

  11. #1986
    Live to ride,ride to live joshdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Prelude
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticlineage
    Josh,

    Welcome to weight loss club and bikeforums. You're doing great, keep up the good work.

    Come down to Nashville sometime and we will go riding on the trace. I would like to get some riding done in hills around m'boro too.

    Have you joined the local bike club yet?
    I acctually work in Nashville. I recently did the Tour de Nash. We had a ride on Sunday that went down Windrow Hill, 45+ mph downhill, that was the first time I had gone that fast. I am sending in my dues tonight to officially join, http://www.mborobike.com . I am always looking for new places that are safe to ride around here.

  12. #1987
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My weight has boinged up as high as 168# from a low on May 14th of 151# (started around 195 last summer, I'm 5'8"). Nonetheless, my new 32" waist pants still fit, and the 34" ones are staying baggy and I've top-shelved them. I have basically stopped all biking but my commute, trying to avoid/mitigate ankle injuries, plus I had a bunch of travel so wasn't even biking, and was eating bad (or, rather, good but naughty) travel food.

    I think it's all good, that the point estimates of weight I got from my scale were not necessarily capturing the range of variation in my weight from hour-to-hour or day-to-day (that 151 thing I know was a fluke, 1st thing in the am, day after 50+ mile bike day), so I'm not going to really worry unless I start bulging out of these new pants. I am drinking boatloads more water now, so I think I may have fewer dehydrated low-weight points to capture on the scale.

  13. #1988
    Senior Member rkimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ashland City, TN
    My Bikes
    None....Looking to buy!
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job Josh! I just started riding two weeks ago on the staionar bike at the gym. This past Saturday I got myself a road bike. I have not owned a bike since I was a teenager. I live in Ashland City and I'm currently looking for good places to ride. If you know of any please drop me a PM.

  14. #1989
    Live to ride,ride to live joshdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Prelude
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkimble
    Great job Josh! I just started riding two weeks ago on the staionar bike at the gym. This past Saturday I got myself a road bike. I have not owned a bike since I was a teenager. I live in Ashland City and I'm currently looking for good places to ride. If you know of any please drop me a PM.
    Thanks and PM sent

  15. #1990
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to this forum and was able to read some of the success stories. My current wt is 230 lbs, and my max was 265lbs two years ago. Was on and off biking, and struggled a lot to lose wt. I started to bike to work about 26 miles roundtrip 3x/week and 40 miles during the weekend. my target wt is 180 and I'm 5-11.
    I know I can do this...

  16. #1991
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Aggieland
    My Bikes
    Cannondale 2.8 Ultegra / 105
    Posts
    520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tagalog, way to go. You're doing it and you're going to achieve your goals. Continue what you're doing. All the best.

  17. #1992
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has to be the BEST thread on the internet!

    So many people. so much in common, so inspiring.

    I need to lose 25-30 lbs. Been riding only 2 weeks, and made some slight diet changes.
    So far, I only lost 4 lbs, but it's a start.

  18. #1993
    mateo for short mateo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 pounds is more than zero! Don't knock it!

    Pound by pound!
    << no sig at this time >>

  19. #1994
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First posting. just joining. I have been cycling for the last two months. main reason is that I love it but also to lose weight. Currently 235 pounds. I didn't weight myself before starting but my current weight is about what I remember my weight being the last time I was weighed about 7 months ago. I am a bit suprised I haven't lost more. I have been slowly increasing the amount i cycle in terms of distance and strenuous effort. Over the last month I have climbed 1500 meters probably on average every two days. I have also covered probably an average of 20kms a day (mostly off road). I am definately getting much stronger on the bike or fitter. My question is should I be concentrating on anything to increase weight loss? I should mention that my diet has also improved although no major change.
    Look forward to hearing responses
    MC

  20. #1995
    mateo for short mateo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should figure out about how many calories you're consuming each day. I've found if I don't count calories, I invariably consume much more than I think I am.

    My guess is that your caloric intake is still too high. If you're taking in more than you're burning, you won't lose weight, even if you're riding regularly. You probably need to tighten up your diet.

    Welcome, BTW!
    << no sig at this time >>

  21. #1996
    jrn
    jrn is offline
    Downhill from here jrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South of the 22nd parallel
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo44
    You should figure out about how many calories you're consuming each day. I've found if I don't count calories, I invariably consume much more than I think I am.

    My guess is that your caloric intake is still too high. If you're taking in more than you're burning, you won't lose weight, even if you're riding regularly. You probably need to tighten up your diet.

    Welcome, BTW!
    Yep, those are the basics. Actually tracking your calories can really open your eyes.

  22. #1997
    Down 10# and 11 inches Ginny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver-ish
    My Bikes
    Jamis, Specialized, CoMotion
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another check in from Ginny!

    I weighed in this morning at 166! That's down from 178 on May 8. I went an entire week without losing, just hovering at the 170 mark. So I decided to stop going by what my sports nutrition book and cut out carbs unless I'm going to road ride that day. Since my morning training is on my trainer BEFORE I even eat breakfast, I don't do carbs for it. My body has never gotten along with carbs, though they are the fuel for the muscles. So if I know I'm going to road ride I'll eat a PB&J about 30 minutes before the ride and have water/gatorade mix in my bottle. It's just the right amount for my 20 mile ride and doesn't pack on or keep me from losing. So I got over that hump and and losing nicely.
    Please don't chide me for cutting out carbs (I do get some, just in veggies, no pasta, bread, rice, beans), some bodies just don't deal well with them.
    But, I'm doing well, eating a big salad at lunch with cheese and chicken chunks. Good amounts of protien, but right in the calorie range I need to be in. Loads of water, but have been adding Crystal Light Lemonage packets, no sugar, no carbs and 5 calories per 32 ounces. Gotta have flavor lately.
    Got a tandem bike and we're having a lot of fun on that. Keeps me close to the husband in more ways than one and keeps me from pushing so hard to keep up with him that I stay OUT (high) of my perfect HR.
    And we can have full conversations about life, love and the pursuit of happiness.
    The DH is also trying to lose which makes it even easier for me.

    Well, that's my check in!
    166 with 26 to go!
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    Ginny in Denver
    05 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Mine)
    04 Jamis Nova Cyclocross (His)
    05 CoMotion Primera Tandem (Ours)

  23. #1998
    Senior Member sherbornpeddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    weight loss by biking like crazy

    I track my weight and have been biking this year like crazy, almost daily. I fluctuate eating fruit, veggies and fish then relapsing to burger, pizza and ice cream. I haven't figured a convenient way to track calories. There was a web site system but I didn't feel like logging in everytime I grab something and it took 15 min or more to record my daily intake. How do you folks do it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #1999
    jrn
    jrn is offline
    Downhill from here jrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South of the 22nd parallel
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginny
    Another check in from Ginny!

    I weighed in this morning at 166! That's down from 178 on May 8. I went an entire week without losing, just hovering at the 170 mark. So I decided to stop going by what my sports nutrition book and cut out carbs unless I'm going to road ride that day. Since my morning training is on my trainer BEFORE I even eat breakfast, I don't do carbs for it. My body has never gotten along with carbs, though they are the fuel for the muscles. So if I know I'm going to road ride I'll eat a PB&J about 30 minutes before the ride and have water/gatorade mix in my bottle. It's just the right amount for my 20 mile ride and doesn't pack on or keep me from losing. So I got over that hump and and losing nicely.
    Please don't chide me for cutting out carbs (I do get some, just in veggies, no pasta, bread, rice, beans), some bodies just don't deal well with them.
    But, I'm doing well, eating a big salad at lunch with cheese and chicken chunks. Good amounts of protien, but right in the calorie range I need to be in. Loads of water, but have been adding Crystal Light Lemonage packets, no sugar, no carbs and 5 calories per 32 ounces. Gotta have flavor lately.
    Got a tandem bike and we're having a lot of fun on that. Keeps me close to the husband in more ways than one and keeps me from pushing so hard to keep up with him that I stay OUT (high) of my perfect HR.
    And we can have full conversations about life, love and the pursuit of happiness.
    The DH is also trying to lose which makes it even easier for me.

    Well, that's my check in!
    166 with 26 to go!
    Nice Ginny! It sounds like you're doing really well! I would looove to get a tandem so I could ride with my wife, despite being very skinny she's never been an athlete and can't come anywhere near to keeping up with me on a bike. I want to get a road bike (currently ride a full suspension everywhere) but I think as soon as I do that I'll wish I had bought a tandem (and vice versa). Oh well, maybe one of these day I'll make up my mind

  25. #2000
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Hi, I normally post to the Clydesdale board, but I saw the weight loss thread here, and I wanted to chime in. I've lost 140 pounds since January 2006 through proper eating and exercise alone. I took up cycling six months ago, and I've dropped 30 pounds during that time.

    Me at 360, after losing 25 pounds.


    And now, or more precisely two weeks ago. No, that's not my bike in the photo.

Page 80 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •