Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Magnuson - Heft on Wheels - Approach - HELP

    I feel like I might get yelled at for asking this, but I have a few questions.

    I just finished reading Mike Magnuson's "Heft on Wheels" and it really spoke to me. As a bigger guy (6'4'' 275lbs) he really helped me to understand the plight of the big man.

    Anyway - Mike, said that to jump start his diet that he drank, I'm assuming, protein shakes for 3 meals a day and was riding everyday.

    1. Does anyone know what protein shakes he was consuming??
    2. What sort of backlash/health issues could expect from this form of drastic diet change?
    3. Is it something to consider, or is it something very dangerous and should be avoided?

    I appologize if this offends anyone, and I'm not looking for a "quick fix", but I am trying to lose weight and increase my saddle time. Besides, a month or so of drastic dieting in the fashion would probably be less damaging than non-existent diet that I have been on for my entire life.

    I would seriously appreciate any insightful comments/suggestions.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off I think that an eating change should be viewed as just that, a change. Diets imply a short-term modification and there is rarely something structured for the back end of that term, resulting in stagnation or weight re-gain.

    Many folks, myself included, have lost weight by eating more regular, smaller meals. These 5 to 6 meals a day, each containing a good amount of protein and high quality carbs, keep the body's metabolism working steady. One of the main benifits to this is the lack of feeling hungry. Think about it, last time you were really famished, did you stop when you could of? or did you keep eating a bit?

    I followed the Body for Life program and lost 35 pounds. Its good that you recognize there is no quick fix. Perhaps you'll also be able to acknowlege that what you have been doing obviously wasnt working they way you would like. Thus a change is in order. That change should encompass both eating habits, excersise and proper sleep.

    Good luck to you and congratulations on wanting to make a change!!
    Its all downhill from somewhere.

  3. #3
    H23
    H23 is offline
    Senior Member H23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    bianchi
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I saw that book while browsing at the barnes and noble. Its definately not a pretty sight, the guy did good, he had a great outcome, but he certainly defied his personal safety and health to get there. His approach, aside from a bizarre diet was to go out with the "A group" riders, go full blast, get dropped immediately, and try again the next day.

    I also saw another book in the barnes and noble about some guy that runs extreme ultra marathons-- like 100+ miles at a time. Apparently, when someone burns that many calories, the body generates hunger urges that cannot be denied. The guy wrote about how he once bought an extra large pizza and how he ATE IT ALL while still running, balancing the pizza with one arm. He has also run 100 milers naked and in extreme environments.

    Then I thought... what is there to learn from these people? Answer: Nothing. These are extreme cases. They paint a very wierd almost unbelieveable picture of human will power. This stuff sells more copy than the sensible story of someone who makes careful decisions and transforms slowly over years of well-calculated effort.


    edit.... yeah, not pretty at all!
    Last edited by H23; 06-16-05 at 10:54 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just wondering what health issues one my face if drastic measures were taken. I just need to figure out WHAT to eat and When to eat it. I'm 23, and I'm constantly on the go - I go to school full time, and work 30 hrs per week. It is very hard to prepare one of those many meals in a day.

    Are there any meal suppliment bars or whatever. I can prepare lunch and dinner, but if I can find something to solve the other 3 - 4 meals then I might be able to make it work.

  5. #5
    Senior Member kf5nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX 77095
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For breakfast, I drink whey protein powder than I buy at COSTCO, being allergic to milk I use soy milk, I make a shake out of it. I have some fruit. I have some cereal. There you go, pretty balanced right there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member kf5nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX 77095
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a quick snack, try 1/2 of an energy bar. Those things have 200 calories in them, so don't snarf down 1 in the AM, 1 in the PM. Eat enough to take the edge off your hunger, not stamp it down into the ground.

  7. #7
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrino
    I was just wondering what health issues one my face if drastic measures were taken. I just need to figure out WHAT to eat and When to eat it. I'm 23, and I'm constantly on the go - I go to school full time, and work 30 hrs per week. It is very hard to prepare one of those many meals in a day.

    Are there any meal suppliment bars or whatever. I can prepare lunch and dinner, but if I can find something to solve the other 3 - 4 meals then I might be able to make it work.
    Richard Simmons went on an extreme diet too. He drank 1 class of milk every 3 days. No thanks.

    My personal perspective is that the important thing is to change your lifestyle and eating habbits to what is obtainable. Going on fad diets, whether it's Atkin's or a protien shake 3x a day, isn't realistic. Also, trying to lose über amounts of weight in short periods of time is unrealistic.

    We all want McDiet in our instant gratification society. Unfortunately, that's not how the human body works. When a person goes on an extreme diet the first thing that is going to happen is the metabolism is going to want to slow down to a crawl, which is the exact opposite of what is desired! This is because 10,000 years ago the humans that survived the ice age had to exist through famines. We don't. But our genes still carry these famine traits with them all the way into modern society where work is sitting in an office chair and food is plentiful.

    Then if one does get down to their ideal fighting weight and starts eating again, their slower metabolism will pack the weight back on more quickly than ever, hence the yo-yo effect that you hear dieters talk about.

    I was just wondering what health issues one my face if drastic measures were taken
    Cardiac problems, hormonal problems (thyroid, insuline, adrenaline), immune problems, brain works at a sub-par level (not good for a student!!). Do you need any more? Screw the fad diets.
    Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 06-21-05 at 01:52 AM.
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Thanks for the information.

    Can someone give me a example of a daily diet that would be resonable and attainable. I just need some help because I've never done this before.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kf5nd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX 77095
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those are just recipies....

  11. #11
    H23
    H23 is offline
    Senior Member H23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    bianchi
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrino
    Awesome. Thanks for the information.

    Can someone give me a example of a daily diet that would be resonable and attainable. I just need some help because I've never done this before.

    Okay, here's the short answer (easier said than done, but doable), YMMV...

    Count calories. Consume about 2000 a day, following USA government guidelines or whatever your ethnic/cultural background demands. Exercise with moderate intensity one hour a day. You will loose weight.

    There are some rare freaks-of-nature who will disagree with the above and swear that you should follow some wild diet, while they may have found success, they are only able to speak for themselves.

    The 2005 dietary guidlines are actually quite good and give solid examples of diet and exercise needed to sustain weight loss and maintain a healthy weight.

  12. #12
    Senior Member biodiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing something really similar to his diet for about a month now.

    I'll answer the questions from my perspective in order.

    1. GNC brand Mega MRP. or IsoPure.
    Each has 35% of the daily nutrients or better and 40-50 grams of protien.
    2. A little tired when i started. I don't know how many calories i ate per day to begin with (if i kept track i probably wouldn't have weight loss issues) but the diet is 1500 calories per day.
    The biggest issues to watch out for are of course nutritional deficits. The longer you go on replacement the more likely you are to be missing something. (That's why you should always include real food.) Forget the hype about a 1500-2000 calorie a day diet causing all that physical harm. Thats the stuff that convinces people to stay overweight. If you continue eating and don't drastically drop weight, stay well nourished, and balance your electrolytes it's just weight loss.
    3. Cutting calories safely isn't dangerous. The trick is "safely". Use Meal Replacement stuff for what it's intended, replacing a few meals, but not all food.

    Here's my plan.
    3 meal replacements a day = 900 calories and about 130 grams of protien.
    2 small snacks of about 100 cal each from a short list:
    light yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, small salad with a spoonful of dressing, a hard boiled egg, 1/2 cup of nuts, 2 large rice cakes, a slice of toast, a piece of fruit, couple other things i forget right now.
    1 dinner 300-400 calories.

    my tips;
    Variety is everything. You have to cover all the trace elements, rare vitamins and random stuff that might not be in the meal replacements. Make sure your one meal a day is good food, organic salads and stuff.
    Only replace half of what you burn. Two reasons. One, you overestimate what you burn and underestimate what you consume (or you'd be thin.) Two, your body will burn calories when it's forced to. Go for a long bike ride with fewer calories and you'll be forced to burn fat for fuel while still keeping the electrolytes up.

    Not easy, dropping about 3-4 pounds a week and stalling after 15 pounds as my metabolisms adjusting. Toughest part is keeping up the energy levels.

    And i loved that book.

  13. #13
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel
    I've been doing something really similar to his diet for about a month now.

    I'll answer the questions from my perspective in order.

    1. GNC brand Mega MRP. or IsoPure.
    Each has 35% of the daily nutrients or better and 40-50 grams of protien.
    2. A little tired when i started. I don't know how many calories i ate per day to begin with (if i kept track i probably wouldn't have weight loss issues) but the diet is 1500 calories per day.
    The biggest issues to watch out for are of course nutritional deficits. The longer you go on replacement the more likely you are to be missing something. (That's why you should always include real food.) Forget the hype about a 1500-2000 calorie a day diet causing all that physical harm. Thats the stuff that convinces people to stay overweight. If you continue eating and don't drastically drop weight, stay well nourished, and balance your electrolytes it's just weight loss.
    3. Cutting calories safely isn't dangerous. The trick is "safely". Use Meal Replacement stuff for what it's intended, replacing a few meals, but not all food.

    Here's my plan.
    3 meal replacements a day = 900 calories and about 130 grams of protien.
    2 small snacks of about 100 cal each from a short list:
    light yogurt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, small salad with a spoonful of dressing, a hard boiled egg, 1/2 cup of nuts, 2 large rice cakes, a slice of toast, a piece of fruit, couple other things i forget right now.
    1 dinner 300-400 calories.

    my tips;
    Variety is everything. You have to cover all the trace elements, rare vitamins and random stuff that might not be in the meal replacements. Make sure your one meal a day is good food, organic salads and stuff.
    For somebody that's not into fad or drastic diets, 3 meal replacements a day sure sounds odd. Your body was designed to digest and utilize food, not shakes, powders and elixars.


    Only replace half of what you burn. Two reasons. One, you overestimate what you burn and underestimate what you consume (or you'd be thin.) Two, your body will burn calories when it's forced to. Go for a long bike ride with fewer calories and you'll be forced to burn fat for fuel while still keeping the electrolytes up.
    Chances are you'll just end up bonking on your rides. What's the point? Why not eat proper and adequate nutrition from the start AND improve your fitness levels?


    Not easy, dropping about 3-4 pounds a week and stalling after 15 pounds as my metabolisms adjusting. Toughest part is keeping up the energy levels.
    And stalling is exactly what'll happen if someone tries to diet off 3 to 4 lbs a week. What do you think is going to happen to you when you get tired of this so called diet and start eating again, especially since you're wrecked your metabolism?

    NO McDIETS!!!
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  14. #14
    I fear angry birds Santaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Recalculating
    My Bikes
    2013 Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    2,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serious, this is the secret

    Exercise often and hard.
    Eat in moderation.
    Eat lots of veggies and fruits.
    Eat little meat (preferably none).
    Repeat daily.
    Lose weight.
    THE DEVIL

    Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
    If that was my house and you put your stupid bike in my flower garden to take a picture, I would come outside in my underwear and light you on fire.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaria
    Serious, this is the secret

    Exercise often and hard.
    Eat in moderation.
    Eat lots of veggies and fruits.
    Eat little meat (preferably none).
    Repeat daily.
    Lose weight.
    Agreed, w/ slight modification (320 -> 220 in 2 years, and heading for 180).

    Exercise often and *in moderation*
    Eat in moderation
    Eat lots of veggies and a fair amount of fruit (esp. apples, citrus)
    Eat meat in moderation (esp. fish, lean meat)
    Repeat daily
    Lose weight, keep it off for life, and stay healthy.

    Magnuson's book *is* interesting. I just read it. It's more a study in addiction/obsession than either biking or personal health.

  16. #16
    "I love lamp"
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    My Bikes
    06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a way Magnuson's idea sort of makes sense its a like a fight fire with fire concept. He got the way he was by doing an extreme amount of eating and drinking so cure with an extreme amount of dieting. And as someone who did a lot of crazy dieting in high school for wrestling I know how the guy felt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •