Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is this a good bike tour diet?

    I am training for a big trip at 100 to 150 miles per day for many days. I like comments on this typical diet I follow.

    A recent day with 100 miles in 6.5 hours (including stops), 100 degree temperature and high (?) humidity. I am 195 lb.
    Lime stone path, flat, variable winds 50% from front and 50% from back.
    The diet:
    Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal, plate of fresh fruit, sandwich with two eggs, tea.

    Bike for 25 miles with 3 liter water consumed.

    Snack: Six inch Subway with chicken and veggies, ice tea.

    Bike for 25 miles with 3 liter water.

    Two Powerbars, more water.

    Bike for 25 miles with 3 liter water.

    Chicken sandwich with salad, ice tea.

    Bike for 25 miles, 3 liter water.

    Dinner with fish and pasta and salad and good bottle of red wine.

  2. #2
    No longer in Wimbledon... womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by 'good'? Balanced and nutritious? Or sufficient in calories? Or cheap?

    I rode around Patagonia for three months and subsisted, with very little variation, on:

    Oatmeal breakfasts
    Peanut butter sandwhich lunches
    Pasta/Rice + tomato paste + cheese dinners
    Intermeal snack was carmelised milk which was readily available in supermarkets in 1 litre bags. And of course chocolate.

    Balanced? I really doubt it. Didn't cause any suffering though. Cheap? Extremely. Sufficient calories? Definitely.
    Last edited by womble; 07-27-05 at 12:33 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    What do you mean by 'good'? Balanced and nutritious? Or sufficient in calories? Or cheap?

    You are making a good point. I am not specific enough.
    Good in my case means:
    1) Come out of this 30 day trip healthy.
    2) Be able to keep up with substantially younger bikers. I will be 64.
    I have never done such a trip. My most extreeme biking experience is limited to four centuries back to back on Wisconsin's relatively level ground. I have done two 150 mile/day trip with no ill effect.

    Cost is not a concern, availability of suitable food is a concern.

  4. #4
    Castiron Perineum Bockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.
    My Bikes
    '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will, I like your food schedule, my only suggestion is more immediately available carbohydrates such as 'trail mix', from which you should grab a handful or two every time you think of it.

    I might also suggest electrolite replacement in your water after your first bottle of the day.
    The best libertarian podcast on the internet! freedomainradio.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bunabayashi
    will, I like your food schedule, my only suggestion is more immediately available carbohydrates such as 'trail mix', from which you should grab a handful or two every time you think of it.

    I might also suggest electrolite replacement in your water after your first bottle of the day.
    bunabayashi:
    Thank you. Your answer is helpful.
    While I bike a lot, I have never done such a tour. So I am trying to be prepared.
    Electrolyte replacement is not a term I am familiar with. (I am an immigrant, English is incomplete)
    I can use Google or perhaps you can point me in the right direction where to get it best.

  6. #6
    Recumbent Evangelist
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
    Posts
    2,991
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He means Gatorade or some other "sports drink" that helps replace the minerals that you lose by sweating. You can get them pre-bottled or in powder form, which you mix into water yourself.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    K.C. MO. USA
    My Bikes
    Giant, Cannondale, Tittus
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Carbs!! Pasta, potatoes, whole grain bread!! Maybe another bottle of wine

  8. #8
    No longer in Wimbledon... womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you riding? You mention Subway, so I assume that you will be rolling through towns in the US or Canada. If that's the case, and cost is unimportant, then you should have a wide variety of feeding options. Just stuff yourself silly with lots of carbs and you should be fine*. Carry powerbars or gel shots for snacks.

    Make sure you get enough salt to replace what you sweat out (either expensive sports drinks or carry some McDonalds salt packets in case you get heat stroke).


    * You mention that you are 64. I don't know how important diet is with age.

  9. #9
    Race to train jrennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    suffering on the back
    Posts
    3,115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while I don't know the variations in cooking methods(ie oil in the pasta, toppings on the sandwiches) but it sounds like you are low on calories. over a long period of time(30 days of this) I think you'll drop alot of weight(poss. a desired result) Also as womble had mentioned all that water and activity you need more sodium.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-o
    He means Gatorade or some other "sports drink" that helps replace the minerals that you lose by sweating. You can get them pre-bottled or in powder form, which you mix into water yourself.
    OK, that settles that. Thank You.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giant_shimano
    More Carbs!! Pasta, potatoes, whole grain bread!! Maybe another bottle of wine
    Pasta it is. I am maxed out on wine.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrennie
    while I don't know the variations in cooking methods(ie oil in the pasta, toppings on the sandwiches) but it sounds like you are low on calories. over a long period of time(30 days of this) I think you'll drop alot of weight(poss. a desired result) Also as womble had mentioned all that water and activity you need more sodium.

    Weight loss is not desired. So I agree that I need to pig out. 6000 calories/day. Does that not sound good? I love food and wine.
    Talked today to a lady who done this trip from Irvine, CA to Savannah, GA in eleven days. On a Tandem bike!
    Mt goodness, I am sweating how to do it in 27 days?
    Anyway, she said what you say and she is skin and bones. I am not skinny. My wife will be seriously upset if I loose a lot of weight. So I will not.
    I am concerned about the sodium! Thanks for the posting.

  13. #13
    Senior Member jazzy_cyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North Central Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Posts
    1,281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Tour De France coverage I recall one of the announcers saying that tour riders consume up to 9,000 calories/day. Granted that you aren't riding as hard as they do, but you will be going the same or more distance-wise.

  14. #14
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne

    Dinner with fish and pasta and salad and good bottle of red wine.
    Don't know about the rest, but it really does end well.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
    On the Tour De France coverage I recall one of the announcers saying that tour riders consume up to 9,000 calories/day. Granted that you aren't riding as hard as they do, but you will be going the same or more distance-wise.
    Yes, spoke to a guy who did that trip in eleven days. 11,000 calories.
    That is a lot of food. I love food and wine.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan
    Don't know about the rest, but it really does end well.
    That is one of the attractions of long distance biking. Another one is the energy generated by all that good stuff going through your (or my) system. I think that is getting more obvious as you get older and compare with inactive folks.
    The only downside is sport injuries, and I forgot, it costs money.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Where are you riding? You mention Subway, so I assume that you will be rolling through towns in the US or Canada. If that's the case, and cost is unimportant, then you should have a wide variety of feeding options. Just stuff yourself silly with lots of carbs and you should be fine*. Carry powerbars or gel shots for snacks.

    Make sure you get enough salt to replace what you sweat out (either expensive sports drinks or carry some McDonalds salt packets in case you get heat stroke).


    * You mention that you are 64. I don't know how important diet is with age.
    Womble:
    I just noticed that I failed to reply to your nice and useful post.
    I did read it several times.
    We go the southern route from Irvine, Ca to Savannah, GA from hotel to hotel fully supported. I do not expect to go hungry or thirsty. I will pig out as you suggest.

    The salt worries me. Prior tours have hospitalized riders due to "electrolyte" deficiency (whatever that means) Of course I like to avoid that and hope to get advise from the tour leader or from this forum.
    Is there such a thing as a powder to put into each bottle of water? Is that a good idea? I hate salt in pure form. Buried into food it is OK. Typical processed food is loaded you know? So I could just eat salami and pepperoni and such?

    Age 64 means that you need to work harder to keep up and therefore nutrition may become key to performance. I could abuse my body more in my younger years.

  18. #18
    No longer in Wimbledon... womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone else mentioned, you can buy Gatorade powder from the supermarket. That's and okay idea. Make it weaker than the instructions suggest though as the usual concentrations of Gatorade and other sports drinks are set up for consumer taste rather than speedy absorbtion. Or salt buried into food should be fine.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    As someone else mentioned, you can buy Gatorade powder from the supermarket. That's and okay idea. Make it weaker than the instructions suggest though as the usual concentrations of Gatorade and other sports drinks are set up for consumer taste rather than speedy absorbtion. Or salt buried into food should be fine.
    Thanks, will do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •