Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-05, 05:29 PM   #1
will dehne
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cycleops fluid2 quality question

Has anyone noticed that the Cycleops fluid2 trainer looses resistance after one month of use?

Here is what I noticed. I train every day for over one month at about 17 MPH with intervals at 20 MPH.
I checked my Cateye Astrale 8 against a calculated speed. 85 RPM, 53/21 gears, 700 x 28 tires (checked 120 PSI) equals ~17 MPH same as the Cateye 8.
My HRM was about 125 max. a month ago doing this speed for one hour.
Today my HRM was 115 Max over a 90 minute workout. I was by no means maxed out.
Did I get stronger OR did the Cycleops fluid2 get weaker? Another possible explaination is Nutrition.
I really would appreciate feedback on this.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-05, 05:41 PM   #2
oldspark
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Peterson Iowa
Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had mine for a year with a fair amount of use and no change in the resistance
oldspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-05, 08:19 AM   #3
will dehne
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspark
I have had mine for a year with a fair amount of use and no change in the resistance
OK, thanks for this feedback. I guess I must have gotten stronger, I hope. I will see again this evening.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 04:39 PM   #4
will dehne
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did two more sessions at 17 MPH for one Hour in 20 minute segments for hydration.
Maximum HRM was 115.
That means that training for one month at one to two hours/day brought positive results UNLESS the CycleOps Fluid2 is kidding me. All other variables were held constant.
Anybody out there done similar training?
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 04:43 PM   #5
OC Roadie
Out of Commission
 
OC Roadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
Posts: 2,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will dehne
Has anyone noticed that the Cycleops fluid2 trainer looses resistance after one month of use?

Here is what I noticed. I train every day for over one month at about 17 MPH with intervals at 20 MPH.
I checked my Cateye Astrale 8 against a calculated speed. 85 RPM, 53/21 gears, 700 x 28 tires (checked 120 PSI) equals ~17 MPH same as the Cateye 8.
My HRM was about 125 max. a month ago doing this speed for one hour.
Today my HRM was 115 Max over a 90 minute workout. I was by no means maxed out.
Did I get stronger OR did the Cycleops fluid2 get weaker? Another possible explaination is Nutrition.
I really would appreciate feedback on this.
As your fitness improves, your heart rate will lower. You will now have to work out harder to reach the same heart rates that you were previuosly at.
__________________
If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.
OC Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 07:19 PM   #6
will dehne
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Roadie
As your fitness improves, your heart rate will lower. You will now have to work out harder to reach the same heart rates that you were previuosly at.
OC Roadie.
I was hoping for this positive result. This thread was created to make sure I do not deceive my-selves.
Do you think that one month of daily training for 60 to 90 minutes at 16 to 17 MPH will bring such results?
If yes, that is very good for my objective. I am training for a tour of 27 days at that speed for 100 to 150 miles/day. I should have no problems if my HR is low enough. BTW I am 64.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 08:24 PM   #7
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hi. I would also recommend not using 53/21 combination too often. It puts a stress on a chain, plus you can achieve a similar ratio in 39. I would also try spinning at higher cadence in easier gears, less stress on the knees.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 09:28 PM   #8
will dehne
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Hi. I would also recommend not using 53/21 combination too often. It puts a stress on a chain, plus you can achieve a similar ratio in 39. I would also try spinning at higher cadence in easier gears, less stress on the knees.
Thank you, I will take your advise.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 09:36 PM   #9
will dehne
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW, I found that HR varies quite a bit with time of the day and nutrition.
Specifically, training after breakfast as compared training after dinner.

I am posting this in case someone does what I do.
We all know that higher cadence will increase HR but is easier on the joints.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 01:58 PM   #10
will dehne
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Hi. I would also recommend not using 53/21 combination too often. It puts a stress on a chain, plus you can achieve a similar ratio in 39. I would also try spinning at higher cadence in easier gears, less stress on the knees.
I have changed my training to use 39/18 gears at 95 to 100 RPM. This feels better in my joints but of course my HR is now max. 125. I think this is more sustainable for longer duration's.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 AM.