Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-06, 09:17 PM   #1
tekhna
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quality HRM under 50 dollars?

I am looking for a decent HRM that won't break the bank. Any suggestions? I suppose at this price point it is way to cheap to be able to find one that will allow me to upload and track my data.

Thanks!

Ben
tekhna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 05:49 AM   #2
Az B
Fattest Thin Man
 
Az B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a Polar at Target for $30. It ain't fancy, but if all you want to know is your heart rate, your average heart rate for the training period, and the length of the training period, it'll work.

Az
Az B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 07:34 AM   #3
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype
 
RiPHRaPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: chicagoland area
Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict
Posts: 2,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
polar FS-1.
RiPHRaPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 11:17 PM   #4
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhna
I am looking for a decent HRM that won't break the bank. Any suggestions? I suppose at this price point it is way to cheap to be able to find one that will allow me to upload and track my data.

Thanks!

Ben
I have had a Sigma PC14 HRM for about seven months. I paid $39 for it at Performance, and it has served me well so far. I only use it at the gym though. Good luck

Regards,
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 03:31 PM   #5
salamibender
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Jersey, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Accumen basic, from heartratemonitors USA.$43.00 w/free shipping.
salamibender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 06:00 PM   #6
hodadmike
Senior Member
 
hodadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCAS
I have had a Sigma PC14 HRM for about seven months. I paid $39 for it at Performance, and it has served me well so far. I only use it at the gym though. Good luck

Regards,
I just bought the same at Performance and have used it twice so far. Being a first time user, I don't really know what I should be seeing. First time, water on the chest contacts, and I didn't see a HR reading for at least 10 minutes. Changes in display happened about every 5 minutes. Second time, aloe vera gel on the contacts, and nothing for 20 min. of hard riding, then occasional readings every 5 or 10 minutes. Aren't these supposed to read in "real time", I mean updated every few seconds like a bike cyclometer? I'm ready to shave and/or use that EKG gel if thats what it takes to see better results. Or, is this just the way an inexpensive HRM works?
hodadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 02:54 AM   #7
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodadmike
I just bought the same at Performance and have used it twice so far. Being a first time user, I don't really know what I should be seeing. First time, water on the chest contacts, and I didn't see a HR reading for at least 10 minutes. Changes in display happened about every 5 minutes. Second time, aloe vera gel on the contacts, and nothing for 20 min. of hard riding, then occasional readings every 5 or 10 minutes. Aren't these supposed to read in "real time", I mean updated every few seconds like a bike cyclometer? I'm ready to shave and/or use that EKG gel if thats what it takes to see better results. Or, is this just the way an inexpensive HRM works?
I use a homemade five per cent solution of salt and water as my "gel" . I just put it in a little "eye drops" bottle and put two drops on each side of the chest strap, then smear the drops all over the chest contacts and everything works beautifully. The stationary bikes at my gym has built-in Polar HRM readers, and these readers confirm the accuracy of my Sigma PC14 every time I use it at the gym. The HRM has worked beautifully for me. No complaints whatsoever.

Make sure you use the brochure in setting all your reference numbers, and everything should be fine. No need to buy the gel or shave.

They really are very good for the money one paid for them.

Good luck, and if I can be of further help re:working out the kinks in your Sigma PC14, send me a PM with questions you may have.

Regards,
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 12:20 AM   #8
hodadmike
Senior Member
 
hodadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Lucas, I'll give that a try. I read the brochure briefly, didn't do any reference settings, I just strapped it on and rode. Oh well, we had 2 or 3 dry days out here so maybe when the rains start on Tues. I'll give it another try.
hodadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.