Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Stooge thebankman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bay Area
    My Bikes
    one of each
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cholesterol is down after half a year of training

    After about six months of heavy training every day as physical therapy, weight loss, commuting, and muscle build up, I've gone from a total cholesterol of 210 to 180. Along with a change in diet to cut out saturated fat and cholesterol as much as possible, I have been commuting by bicycle instead of by car to school, used this forum to get info on the "right foods" to eat and when to eat them as sports nutrition, and have put in countless hours working on spinning and improving form.

    The thing I found most valuable in trying to lower the cholesterol is to just look at the nutritional contents on the package in a grocery store. If the sat. fat and cholesterol were anything about 10%, just pass on it. If it's under 10%, you can continue and look at the other nutritional values. Also, the common sense approach works: a burger stuffed with cheese and bacon aint gonna help you get healthy or lose weight, it's a NO DUH approach.

    Best thing about riding a bike every day: you don't have to eat less to drop fat and get fit!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. There is no magic short cut to better health. You are doing it the right way.

    I use a similar method. Athough I had a double cheesburger yesterday for lunch, I DID say "leave off the bacon".

  3. #3
    Stooge thebankman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bay Area
    My Bikes
    one of each
    Posts
    846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a crabcake sandwich with some french fries yesterday, sometimes you just have to eat what you want. It seems that when you're feeling sick it's best to eat what you want just to get something inside you. My first cold of the year is going to test my resolve to continue commuting by bike.

  4. #4
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I just had bloodwork done in February and my cholesterol was down to 189. My last bloodtest before that was done about 7 years' prior, and it was 249.....pretty much borderline high cholesterol. My diet has changed a bit, but I still tend to eat "crappy" foods from time to time.....just not nearly as often. My doctor said the garlic supplements I take daily do nothing ("there's no scientific evidence"), but over the years during periods of not exercising and eating like crap, I could tell a real difference in blood circulation, particularly when sleeping. During my worst periods, I'd have trouble sleeping at night because my arms would go numb from sleeping with my arm under my pillow, under my head while on my side (a fairly "standard" sleeping position). Taking garlic helped allieviate this problem. Obviously now, with my cholesterol significantly reduced, I don't have that issue anymore.

    I've also found that depriving yourself of the foods you want all the time just leads to an eventual breakdown and then start chowing like mad. I'm not saying eat junk food all the time, but moderation and common sense is the key.
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  5. #5
    Guest
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thebankman
    After about six months of heavy training every day as physical therapy, weight loss, commuting, and muscle build up, I've gone from a total cholesterol of 210 to 180. Along with a change in diet to cut out saturated fat and cholesterol as much as possible, I have been commuting by bicycle instead of by car to school, used this forum to get info on the "right foods" to eat and when to eat them as sports nutrition, and have put in countless hours working on spinning and improving form.

    The thing I found most valuable in trying to lower the cholesterol is to just look at the nutritional contents on the package in a grocery store. If the sat. fat and cholesterol were anything about 10%, just pass on it. If it's under 10%, you can continue and look at the other nutritional values. Also, the common sense approach works: a burger stuffed with cheese and bacon aint gonna help you get healthy or lose weight, it's a NO DUH approach.

    Best thing about riding a bike every day: you don't have to eat less to drop fat and get fit!
    Congrats!

    Koffee

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebankman
    After about six months of heavy training every day as physical therapy, weight loss, commuting, and muscle build up, I've gone from a total cholesterol of 210 to 180. Along with a change in diet to cut out saturated fat and cholesterol as much as possible, I have been commuting by bicycle instead of by car to school, used this forum to get info on the "right foods" to eat and when to eat them as sports nutrition, and have put in countless hours working on spinning and improving form.

    The thing I found most valuable in trying to lower the cholesterol is to just look at the nutritional contents on the package in a grocery store. If the sat. fat and cholesterol were anything about 10%, just pass on it. If it's under 10%, you can continue and look at the other nutritional values. Also, the common sense approach works: a burger stuffed with cheese and bacon aint gonna help you get healthy or lose weight, it's a NO DUH approach.

    Best thing about riding a bike every day: you don't have to eat less to drop fat and get fit!
    you are avoiding sat. fat for no good reason. the best way to improve your cholestoral is to control carbs. this is beyond debate, it has been proven over and over and over again.

    and oh, btw, you really shouldnt even worry about your cholestoral, that too is a myth. high cholestoral has never been proven to have a causative association with heart disease. You'll get a lot of argument to the contrary, but the fact remains, there is no proof. it's only a hypothesis, and a flimsy one at that.

  7. #7
    OPC
    OPC is offline
    íPura Vida! OPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    My Bikes
    '04 Bianchi Giro, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfreddy
    you are avoiding sat. fat for no good reason. the best way to improve your cholestoral is to control carbs. this is beyond debate, it has been proven over and over and over again.

    and oh, btw, you really shouldnt even worry about your cholestoral, that too is a myth. high cholestoral has never been proven to have a causative association with heart disease. You'll get a lot of argument to the contrary, but the fact remains, there is no proof. it's only a hypothesis, and a flimsy one at that.
    Can you elaborate? I am in the high cholestrol camp and would appreciate the info and source, if available.

    -JosÚ
    --JosÚ
    '04 Bianchi Giro
    '05 Bianchi Virata
    '08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure, you can start with www.theomnivore.com, and then check out the weston price site, and then check out the "thincs" web site, and the protein power blog, blog.proteinpower.com/drmike/

    that should keep you busy for awhile....

  9. #9
    OPC
    OPC is offline
    íPura Vida! OPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    My Bikes
    '04 Bianchi Giro, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfreddy
    sure, you can start with www.theomnivore.com, and then check out the weston price site, and then check out the "thincs" web site, and the protein power blog, blog.proteinpower.com/drmike/

    that should keep you busy for awhile....
    Thanks, I will do that.

    Cheers.

    -JosÚ
    --JosÚ
    '04 Bianchi Giro
    '05 Bianchi Virata
    '08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser

  10. #10
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfreddy
    you are avoiding sat. fat for no good reason. the best way to improve your cholestoral is to control carbs. this is beyond debate, it has been proven over and over and over again.

    and oh, btw, you really shouldnt even worry about your cholestoral, that too is a myth. high cholestoral has never been proven to have a causative association with heart disease. You'll get a lot of argument to the contrary, but the fact remains, there is no proof. it's only a hypothesis, and a flimsy one at that.
    Odd. I eat a ****load of carbs, and mine dropped 60 points. I don't buy into the Atkins' myths.
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
    Odd. I eat a ****load of carbs, and mine dropped 60 points. I don't buy into the Atkins' myths.

    not that odd, exercise helps too.

    you're total dropped 60 points? if so, that may not be such a good thing (assuming the lipid hypothesis isn't bunk, which it is...). you probably lost HDL as well as LDL. HDL is the good stuff. Study after study after study have shown that a low carb diet raises HDL and slightly lowers LDL.

    btw, LC also dramatically and almost immediately lowers your triglycerides. which is also good.

    this isn't myth, it's science.

  12. #12
    Senor Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If cholestorol does not cause heart problems what are the plaques made of that occlude arteries?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by !!Comatoa$ted
    If cholestorol does not cause heart problems what are the plaques made of that occlude arteries?
    I'll let "theomnivore" take this one. Anthony?

    http://www.theomnivore.com/LDL_May_2005.html

    Let's get one thing perfectly clear right from the outset: atherosclerotic plaques are not simply big wads of fat and cholesterol that have stuck to the walls of arteries like mud inside a pipe. That so many supposedly intelligent people have even contemplated entertaining such a notion, let alone accepted it as gospel truth, is a sad, sad reflection of the extremely low intellectual standard dominating the health sciences, and society in general, today.

    The growth of atherosclerotic plaques begins inside the artery wall, between the inner and outer layers. These plaques are actually complex entities comprised of numerous components, including smooth muscle cells, calcium, connective tissue, white blood cells, and cholesterol and fatty acids. The proliferation of these various components occurs, not because of elevations in blood cholesterol or because one has eaten too much butter and cream, but because of unfavorable physiological conditions that damage or weaken the structure of the artery. This triggers an inflammatory state in which the body recognizes the injury and sets about to repair it. Cholesterol is present in atherosclerotic plaque for the same reason all the other components are present--as part of the body's attempt to repair itself. Blaming cholesterol for atherosclerotic plaque makes about as much sense as blaming paramedics for the carnage they are faced with after arriving at the scene of an accident.

    This 'response-to-injury' scenario is well accepted by the vast majority of serious cardiovascular researchers. The problem is that many of these same individuals insist on clinging to the untenable notion that LDL cholesterol is somehow involved in triggering or aggravating the inflammatory state that promotes atherosclerosis and eventually leads to heart disease or stroke.

  14. #14
    Senor Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does fiber have a role in decresing the risk of heart disease? Or is it a contributor because it contains carbs?

  15. #15
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a couple of articles from the Weston A Price Foundation site, http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/hd.html

    and, http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndi...s_cholest.html

    The cause of Heart disease is still being debated. Much evidence points to it being caused by an infection and artery plaques are the bodies attempts to repair itself.

    Far from being harmful saturated fats have anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties that help to protect the body from infection and also are have anti-oxidant properties to resist free radical damage.

    Along the lines that you are what you eat, those with a diet rich in saturated fats have strong, healthy arteries that resist damage. Those who have diets with too much polyunsaturated fats have weaker arteries that are susceptable to free radical damage and infection.

    Regards, Anthony

  16. #16
    Senor Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Here's a couple of articles from the Weston A Price Foundation site, http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/hd.html

    and, http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndi...s_cholest.html

    The cause of Heart disease is still being debated. Much evidence points to it being caused by an infection and artery plaques are the bodies attempts to repair itself.

    Far from being harmful saturated fats have anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties that help to protect the body from infection and also are have anti-oxidant properties to resist free radical damage.

    Along the lines that you are what you eat, those with a diet rich in saturated fats have strong, healthy arteries that resist damage. Those who have diets with too much polyunsaturated fats have weaker arteries that are susceptable to free radical damage and infection.

    Regards, Anthony

    I thought people who are overweight and sedentary were at a greater risk for heart disease, regardless of what sort of fat you eat. I am glad that now I know I can continue to eat sat fat and be lazy without increasing my risk of heart disease. Bring on the NZ Lamb MMMMMM

  17. #17
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to decide who you want to believe.

    Some of the alternate health sites promote scams, like being poisoned by your fillings. In fact one such holistic dentist somehow managed to diagnose ALL of his patients, with mercury toxicity poisoning and talked them all into paying huge coin to have all their filings replaced. Some didnt even have mercury fillings. Etc, etc.

    Some people buy into these sites hook line and sinker just because the sites are 'anti-establishment' therefore they must be right because the man is always lying to us !

    Heath science isnt really a science, its more like "current best guess" in many respects. Which is why there is no concensus on so many things. Heck just last week they flip/flopped and now say omega 3 isnt what they have been saying for years. It goes back and forth.

    http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...isticdent.html
    Im sure quackwatch site has motives and could be funded by someone with shady connections also, but its just info. Use as you want.
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  18. #18
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by !!Comatoa$ted
    I thought people who are overweight and sedentary were at a greater risk for heart disease, regardless of what sort of fat you eat. I am glad that now I know I can continue to eat sat fat and be lazy without increasing my risk of heart disease. Bring on the NZ Lamb MMMMMM
    Nothing wrong with NZ Lamb. I'm not saying that exercise isn't benificial though.

    Also the connection between overweight and consuming lots of fats is also debateable. If you are currently overweight then I would argue that its got more to do with too many carbs/grains and refined oils in your diet and not NZ Lamb. The protective factors of saturated fat are greatest in those who grew up with them as it takes time to build a body.

    I grew up on animal fats but like everyone else our family changed to low fat/artifical fat diets in my teens due to dietry dogma. I lost my health in my late teens, early 20's and I was very unhealthy for a number of years but 5 years ago I went back to a diet rich in animal fats and low in carbs and along with regular exercise my health has been steadily improving since. I hardly get sick at all now.\\

    Regards, Anthony

  19. #19
    Senor Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarery
    You need to decide who you want to believe.

    Some of the alternate health sites promote scams, like being poisoned by your fillings. In fact one such holistic dentist somehow managed to diagnose ALL of his patients, with mercury toxicity poisoning and talked them all into paying huge coin to have all their filings replaced. Some didnt even have mercury fillings. Etc, etc.

    Some people buy into these sites hook line and sinker just because the sites are 'anti-establishment' therefore they must be right because the man is always lying to us !

    Heath science isnt really a science, its more like "current best guess" in many respects. Which is why there is no concensus on so many things. Heck just last week they flip/flopped and now say omega 3 isnt what they have been saying for years. It goes back and forth.

    http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...isticdent.html
    Im sure quackwatch site has motives and could be funded by someone with shady connections also, but its just info. Use as you want.
    So I guess I should not believe everything I read posted by people who only find thier information on the net. Darn who am I to have blind faith in now. Or who read others interpretations of the facts, sheesh I liked living like a robot it was easier, now you have complicated things for me. Shame on you

  20. #20
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarery

    http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...isticdent.html
    Im sure quackwatch site has motives and could be funded by someone with shady connections also, but its just info. Use as you want.
    Yeah you have to be careful with your references. The guy who runs quackwatch is a de-registered doctor with connections to big pharmaceutical companies. Not really a credible source.

    Regards, Anthony

  21. #21
    Seńor Member SimiCyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    My Bikes
    1996 GT Force, 1999 Cannondale R1000, 2006 Cannondale Synapse
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Yeah you have to be careful with your references. The guy who runs quackwatch is a de-registered doctor with connections to big pharmaceutical companies. Not really a credible source.

    Regards, Anthony
    A brief look at the website suggests you may be a bit simplistic in your evaluation of the site. There's over 150 medical advisors to the site, and the guy who runs it is retired not "de-registered". If he has had his credentials revoked, please enlighten us to the details.
    "We just don't recognize the most significant moments in our lives while they're happening. You say to yourself, 'there will be other days'. Then you realize it was the only day".

    Field of Dreams

  22. #22
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimiCyclist
    A brief look at the website suggests you may be a bit simplistic in your evaluation of the site. There's over 150 medical advisors to the site, and the guy who runs it is retired not "de-registered". If he has had his credentials revoked, please enlighten us to the details.

    OK I haven't found a link to him having his credentials revoked but I did read it somewhere. Here's some interesting articles on him, http://www.quackpotwatch.org/opinion...ed_in_fede.htm

    and, http://www.iahf.com/antiquackbusters/20020105a.html

    Another valid critisism made of Stepen Barrett is that you will not find anywhere on his site ANY critisism of mainstream practices or drugs even when they have been found by mainstream sources to be faulty. He's totaly silent on mainstream failures. He ONLY bashes alternatives and a lack of evidence doesn't hold him back at all.

    Regards, Anthony

  23. #23
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    OK I haven't found a link to him having his credentials revoked but I did read it somewhere.
    ROFL
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  24. #24
    Junior Member Pelon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to information from the National Institute of Health: http://nhlbisupport.com/chd1/why4.htm

    While there isn't absolute proof that lowering cholesterol will reduce your risk of coronary disease, there is certainly credible evidence.
    "Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up." - Chinese Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •