Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Healthy food substitutes

    What are some common foods that are not so great to eat, but have an alternative food source that's healthier. Like instead of traditional, 11gfat,100cal/tablespoon mayo, someone could use light canola mayo, 3.5gfat(all unsaturated) and 35cal/tablespoon, and instead of milk, use almond soy milk or something. Any other things?

  2. #2
    Member PeterMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bend, OR
    My Bikes
    Felt Virtue II FS
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like yogurt and berries, maybe a bit-o-granola, as an ice cream substitute at night. okay, well being totally honest, I still do the ice cream a couple nights a week.

    PeterMac
    Team No-Hangover January 2, 2006

    Felt Virtue II FS
    Fuji Roubaix RC

    We're having fun now!

  3. #3
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you could use other cuts of deli meats on your sandwich such as turkey pastrami. That way you don't need mayo. There's nothin wrong with milk. Learn to cook using leaner cuts of meat, drizzle your salads with EVOO and good vinegar.

  4. #4
    proud of his bunny Zinn-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UCSC
    My Bikes
    2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)
    Posts
    885
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about salad dressings? many of them are rich in fats and oils. are there any good / lo cal vinaigrettes on the market?

  5. #5
    Sensible shoes. CastIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Paul,MN
    My Bikes
    A few.
    Posts
    8,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've switched my Phish Food to the frozen yogurt variety. Man that stuff is a frozen slice of heaven.

    For a vinagrette, just make your own. Mix EV olive oil and balsamic vinegar and add whatever spices you wish. Making your own pesto is pretty damn easy too. Tasty as well.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    Why am I in your signature.

  6. #6
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is NOTHING wrong with "common", traditional foods. The problems are with modern "replacement" foods so the very foods that are being promoted as "healthy" alternatives are usualy the most damaging foods.

    Now with Mayo you can't buy the real thing anymore. ANY mayo out there is a modern "replacement" food using refined oils but the "Light" versions are no better and usualy worse. Making your own is the answer from cold pressed sunflower oil or extra virgin olive oil however making mayo requires some skill and technique which I'm not going to go into although I have made it myself.

    Pre made salad dressing use poor quality refined oils so aren't a good choice. Use a high quality extra virgin olive oil and a good quality vinegar of your choice. Apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, balsamic, ect. Just a splash of vinegar and then EV olive oil to taste.

    Lo cal dressings are a scam. Often its a technical scam where the oil is artificialy modified so that it can't be classified as mono, polly or saturated. Therefore its calories don't count and don't have to be listed. This frankenfood is hard to digest.

    Consume real dairy only and not skim milk substitutes. The proccess of making skim milk powder oxidises the cholesterol in the milk powder and the only harmful form of cholesterol is oxidised cholesterol. So the irony here is that those who think they are consuming the healthy alternative by using skim milk are consuming a substitute that's damaging to one's health.

    Real food as mother nature intended is the way to go.

    Regards, Anthony

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    There is NOTHING wrong with "common", traditional foods. The problems are with modern "replacement" foods so the very foods that are being promoted as "healthy" alternatives are usualy the most damaging foods.

    Now with Mayo you can't buy the real thing anymore. ANY mayo out there is a modern "replacement" food using refined oils but the "Light" versions are no better and usualy worse. Making your own is the answer from cold pressed sunflower oil or extra virgin olive oil however making mayo requires some skill and technique which I'm not going to go into although I have made it myself.

    Pre made salad dressing use poor quality refined oils so aren't a good choice. Use a high quality extra virgin olive oil and a good quality vinegar of your choice. Apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, balsamic, ect. Just a splash of vinegar and then EV olive oil to taste.

    Lo cal dressings are a scam. Often its a technical scam where the oil is artificialy modified so that it can't be classified as mono, polly or saturated. Therefore its calories don't count and don't have to be listed. This frankenfood is hard to digest.

    Consume real dairy only and not skim milk substitutes. The proccess of making skim milk powder oxidises the cholesterol in the milk powder and the only harmful form of cholesterol is oxidised cholesterol. So the irony here is that those who think they are consuming the healthy alternative by using skim milk are consuming a substitute that's damaging to one's health.

    Real food as mother nature intended is the way to go.

    Regards, Anthony
    I'm rarely in agreement with Anthony, but I mostly agree this time.

    If foods are high in fat, try to limit the amounts you use. Use a little real mayo rather than a lot of the low-fat stuff.

    And read labels - lots of the low-fat stuff has a ton of sugar. The same number of calories, but it doesn't make you feel full the way the high-fat stuff does.
    Eric

    2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
    199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

    Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
    Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com

  8. #8
    Climbing Fool terrymorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    My Bikes
    Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1
    Posts
    3,019
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Consume real dairy only and not skim milk substitutes. The proccess of making skim milk powder oxidises the cholesterol in the milk powder and the only harmful form of cholesterol is oxidised cholesterol. So the irony here is that those who think they are consuming the healthy alternative by using skim milk are consuming a substitute that's damaging to one's health.
    So fat free milk contains dangerous cholesterol. I didn't know.

    You must be aware that your dairy recommendations run counter to the American Heart Association's:

    "Choose 2-3 servings of fat-free or low-fat dairy products for adults. Children should have two or more servings, teenagers and older adults should have four."
    http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4684

    Thanks for the heads up. But for the time being, I think I'll take the AHA's advice.
    Managing Director, Undiscovered Country Tours

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mustard more, mayo less.
    Tomato based pasta sauce instead of cream based.
    Whole wheat instead of white.
    Wild salmon not farmed salmon
    Popcorn instead of chips
    hot air popped popcorn not microwave bags
    Oranges not orange juice
    Etc etc

    Dont go crazy on anything, just use it as a guidline. Alfredo is still my favorite pasta sauce and i still have ice cream every night. Just pick ones with natural ingredients instead of artificial and your on your way
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  10. #10
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terrymorse
    So fat free milk contains dangerous cholesterol. I didn't know.

    You must be aware that your dairy recommendations run counter to the American Heart Association's:

    "Choose 2-3 servings of fat-free or low-fat dairy products for adults. Children should have two or more servings, teenagers and older adults should have four."
    http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4684

    Thanks for the heads up. But for the time being, I think I'll take the AHA's advice.
    Yes its faith actualy.

    I have faith in mother natures way. Gods way if you like.

    The powers that be have convinced us that mother nature got it wrong, GOD got it wrong but being the good chaps they are they will set us on the right path.

    We believe them! WHY?

    Anyway if you wan't to see the science as it stands see, http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/3/550

    Here's a relevent article from the WAPF, http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfo...y-secrets.html

    Regards, Anthony

  11. #11
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool thanks

  12. #12
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez. Skim milk is made using a separator. Nothing oxidizes. Skim milk tastes different because the proteins brown quicker during pasteurization since these proteins aren't protected by fat.

  13. #13
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well cmon about the mayo thing. In a sense, isn't Canola mayo better than regular mayo with eggs, ect.?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think your doing yourself anygood by using alternate kinds of mayo.
    Just use real mayo, only less of it. Use more mustard or try humus.
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  15. #15
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will use the mustard idea from now on.

  16. #16
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan
    Jeez. Skim milk is made using a separator. Nothing oxidizes. Skim milk tastes different because the proteins brown quicker during pasteurization since these proteins aren't protected by fat.
    If it was natural skim milk then yes, you just use a sepperator. It would be VERY rare to be able to buy such a milk in a suppermarket however. What you buy has been reconstituted from powdered milk whether they label it as such or not.

    I have drunk organic skim milk that was just put through a sepperator and its taste was VERY different from the reconstituted milks that are called "skim" milk.

    Regards, Anthony

  17. #17
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    It would be VERY rare to be able to buy such a milk in a suppermarket however. What you buy has been reconstituted from powdered milk whether they label it as such or not.
    Rare to find skim milk that is not reconstituted? Your saying all skim milk sold in north america is another lie, another fraud or conspiracy?

    You always mention "science" and "fact" and "proof" in your spam posts. Yet very little of what you say has any basis of truth.

    Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (1998) as amended, the Nutrition Labeling and
    Education Act of 1990, and regulations developed thereunder, 21 CFR 101 (1999), and in
    addition, shall comply with applicable requirements of this section as follows:
    All bottles, containers and packages enclosing milk or dairy products, except milk tank trucks,
    storage tanks and cans of raw milk from individual dairy farms, shall be conspicuously marked with:

    4. The word "reconstituted" or "recombined" if the product is made by reconstitution or recombination.
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  18. #18
    Mad scientist w/a wrench
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chucktown
    My Bikes
    none working atm
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarery
    Oranges not orange juice
    Erm...I guess the orange tissue adds some nutrients and fiber, but seeing as an orange is probably 70% or more juice, if you drink REAL oj, does this really matter?
    Proudly wearing kit that doesn't match my frame color (or itself) since 2006.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Erm...I guess the orange tissue adds some nutrients and fiber, but seeing as an orange is probably 70% or more juice, if you drink REAL oj, does this really matter?
    I look at any fruit juice as just a glass of water with lots of calories. It doesnt make me full, it just quenches a thirst. Drinking a glass is not bad, its just not as good as actually eating the piece of fruit it came from.
    Eating the fruit gets you more nutrients, fibre that most folks lack, and usually helps satisfy hunger better, which helps if your trying to not gain weight.
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  20. #20
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    If it was natural skim milk then yes, you just use a sepperator. It would be VERY rare to be able to buy such a milk in a suppermarket however. What you buy has been reconstituted from powdered milk whether they label it as such or not.

    I have drunk organic skim milk that was just put through a sepperator and its taste was VERY different from the reconstituted milks that are called "skim" milk.

    Regards, Anthony
    Cummon over! All the milk we buy here is fresh. Pasteurized of course. You guys in OZ are lucky. Federal law prohibits growth hormones in you beef and lamb. I recently switched to eating just Aussie beef when I eat beef.

  21. #21
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Erm...I guess the orange tissue adds some nutrients and fiber, but seeing as an orange is probably 70% or more juice, if you drink REAL oj, does this really matter?
    The fiber is good if your stomach can, uh, stomach it. It raises the glycemic index. Slows absoption a little. Not good for racing, good for snacking.

  22. #22
    Faster but still slow slowandsteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    My Bikes
    Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
    Posts
    5,979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The proccess of making skim milk powder oxidises the cholesterol in the milk powder and the only harmful form of cholesterol is oxidised cholesterol. So the irony here is that those who think they are consuming the healthy alternative by using skim milk are consuming a substitute that's damaging to one's health.
    Maybe you need to visit a dairy farm. But, skim milk is not processed to get it to be skim. It just comes out that way. Ever heard the expression, "cream rises to the top.?" That is because cow's milk is not naturally homogenized, unlike goat's milk. It normally separates into cream and skim. They homogenize it to get it to be "whole" milk. Also, the fat content varies widely amongs various cows. Holsteins are known for their production of milk(lbs per day), but not fat content. Jerseys, brown swiss and guernseys however can have up to 5% fat in their milk. The whole milk you see in the store is simply homogenized skim milk with a certain portion of cream to get it to 3.25% minimum fat.

  23. #23
    Senior Member AnthonyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Queanbeyan, Australia.
    Posts
    3,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady
    Maybe you need to visit a dairy farm. But, skim milk is not processed to get it to be skim. It just comes out that way. Ever heard the expression, "cream rises to the top.?" That is because cow's milk is not naturally homogenized, unlike goat's milk. It normally separates into cream and skim. They homogenize it to get it to be "whole" milk. Also, the fat content varies widely amongs various cows. Holsteins are known for their production of milk(lbs per day), but not fat content. Jerseys, brown swiss and guernseys however can have up to 5% fat in their milk. The whole milk you see in the store is simply homogenized skim milk with a certain portion of cream to get it to 3.25% minimum fat.
    Well actualy I was buying fresh, straight out of the cow no pasturization Jersey milk for a while so I have some experience with it. While it would sepperate on its own with time in today's fast paced world time is money so it goes through a sepperator at the least. Now while it can be produced by simply running it through a sepperator a lot of low fat milk products are produced by recconstitution or recombination. I haven't found a deffinitive reference for this at the moment so I was letting it slide.

    Something I read was that you don't realy have skim milk anymore in America and that most of it's labeled low fat milk so maybe that's the technical loophole. In Australia there are a lot of low fat milks labeled with proprietry names promising all sorts of benifits and I know that they are made from powdered skim milk so maybe its the same in the USA.

    Regards, Anthony

  24. #24
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So mustard instead of mayo, anything else

  25. #25
    Faster but still slow slowandsteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    My Bikes
    Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
    Posts
    5,979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to an agricultural college and took a class in dairy science. Our milk is not reconsituted, unless you buy powdered milk in a box, but frankly I don't know anyone who does that. Also, they did relabel our milk to read fat free milk instead of skim. It is more of a marketing thing than anything. Milk is still milk.

    If you want pure, unadulterated, naturally homogenized milk, get a goat and let it eat the lawn in your backyard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •