Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Power

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Power

    I just got an indoor trainer (travel trac) with a power meter. I am sustaining about 260W for 2hours, and 300 for 30 min. I don't race, but my buddy is telling me to just start off as a cat IV right away. I say he's a little ahead of himself (or myself) what do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Killing Rabbits
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,682
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some solid numbers depending on how much you weigh. Use this to compare yourself to others; keeping in mind it overestimates your ability a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jon10461
    I just got an indoor trainer (travel trac) with a power meter. I am sustaining about 260W for 2hours, and 300 for 30 min. I don't race, but my buddy is telling me to just start off as a cat IV right away. I say he's a little ahead of himself (or myself) what do you guys think?
    Well, bike-racing is 90-95% mental strategy and tactics and 5-10% physical anyway. You can be a monster brute and not do well if you've got more cunning guys in the pack who can use your own strength against you. It's really not about average power-output, it's really about going from 200w to 1000w in a matter of seconds and being able to sustain it for 10-15seconds, then drop down to 100w to recover, you recover quickly in 10-15 seconds. Then do it all over again from 150-1200w and holding it for 5-10 seconds, then recover @ 100w for 10-20 seconds, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc.... There are guys who can crank it up to 1500watts even and if you can't hang with them for 10-15 seconds, they're gone and you're dropped.

  4. #4
    Quarq shill cslone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.
    Posts
    3,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How accurate is the trainer when compared to a well known power meter?
    FS: Fuji SL1 frameset, 55.5cm toptube, excellent condition.

  5. #5
    Faster but still slow slowandsteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    My Bikes
    Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
    Posts
    5,979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, bike-racing is 90-95% mental strategy and tactics and 5-10% physical anyway.
    This is so true. In bike racing, especially crits, it has so much more to do with strategy than anything. You can safely asssume that nearly everyone is at about the same physical level, but the winners are those with the strategy.
    "Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

  6. #6
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,213
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of your buddy's opinion, and your power numbers,accurate or not, you can't start as a Cat IV in USCF racing. You have to do 10 mass start races as a CatV. After you do those, you'll know if your ready to move up.


    Also, you'll find out that Racing, particularly crit racing is not about sustained output. It's about the ability to go extremely hard in short bursts, recover quickly and repeat, over and over and over. So you might mix in some short intense intervals.

    Finally, depending on how much you weigh, 300 watts for an hour would likely place you mid pack in a CatV 40K TT.

    Don't mean to burst your bubble. But most folks find their first bike races to be harder than they think. However, most foks also figure outs what needed to succeed and can adapt and go on and be successful.
    Not even knowing anything about you, just based on pure law of averages you're likely to struggle in your first race or two.
    It sounds like you do have potential, and if you work at it, you may come to be good. However that remains to be seen. Developing a sense of humility might help get you farther.
    Last edited by merlinextraligh; 10-12-06 at 12:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    Regardless of your buddy's opinion, and your power numbers,accurate or not, you can't start as a Cat IV in USCF racing. You have to do 10 mass start races as a CatV. After you do those, you'll know if your ready to move up.


    Also, you'll find out that Racing, particularly crit racing is not about sustained output. It's about the ability to go extremely hard in short bursts, recover quickly and repeat, over and over and over. So you might mix in some short intense intervals.

    Finally, depending on how much you weigh, 300 watts for an hour would likely place you mid pack in a CatV 40K TT.

    Don't mean to burst your bubble. But most folks find their first bike races to be harder than they think. However, most foks also figure outs what needed to succeed and can adapt and go on and be successful.
    Not even knowing anything about you, just based on pure law of averages you're likely to struggle in your first race or two.
    It sounds like you do have potential, and if you work at it, you may come to be good. However that remains to be seen. Developing a sense of humility might help get you farther.
    I appreciate all the advice. Time for some intervals.
    PS Merilin-the sense of humility is not really my problem. I didn't think I needed to be catIV (I obviously didnt even know enough to know i couldn't start at that level) That was my buddy's idea

  8. #8
    bzzzz fuzzthebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jon10461
    I appreciate all the advice. Time for some intervals.
    PS Merilin-the sense of humility is not really my problem. I didn't think I needed to be catIV (I obviously didnt even know enough to know i couldn't start at that level) That was my buddy's idea
    Speaking of intervals, how are you setting your zones? I would guess your FTP (functional threshold power) to be in the neighbourhood of 280-290w assuming that your sustained efforts are all-out.

  9. #9
    Senior Member zimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    Finally, depending on how much you weigh, 300 watts for an hour would likely place you mid pack in a CatV 40K TT.
    Totally depends on weight and aerodynamics. For me, 300 watts on flat ground is over 27mph in my TT configuration. That's better than mid-pack CatV around here at least.

    I agree with those who say that tactics, strategy, and handling are crucial to racing success... But they aren't 90% of the equation. Maybe 50%. Maybe.

    --Steve

  10. #10
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,213
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zimbo
    Totally depends on weight and aerodynamics. For me, 300 watts on flat ground is over 27mph in my TT configuration. That's better than mid-pack CatV around here at least.



    --Steve
    which would indicate you weigh less than 135lbs. Pretty good power output at that size. http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

  11. #11
    部門ニ/自転車オタク NomadVW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2005 Specialized FSR XC Comp, 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, Fetish Cycles Road Bike
    Posts
    3,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300 watts at 27mph. Wow. At my weight of 180, my best speed at 300 watts yesterday was 34.1kph. I need that aerodynamics.

    Looking again at my info, (cut me some slack for being a power newbie)

    I did do an interval that was tailwinded that had some time below 300 watts and above 37kph.

    Min 220, Max 348, Avg 285: Avg Speed 38.1

    Again, tailwinded pretty nicely on that interval.

    Anyway... back to my new toy.
    Last edited by NomadVW; 10-26-06 at 06:31 PM.
    Envision, Energize, Enable

  12. #12
    Senior Member?
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu
    Posts
    1,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've asked the accuracy question on this forum before and gotten that the TTrac consistenly runs about 60W below the Powertap.

    jon how much do you weigh? 300w at 200lbs is much different than 300w at 160.

  13. #13
    部門ニ/自転車オタク NomadVW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2005 Specialized FSR XC Comp, 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, Fetish Cycles Road Bike
    Posts
    3,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta wonder how you endure 2 hours on a trainer too. Blech. Rolling into the winter season and not being on the rollers in months, I can barely get by an hour on them without wanting to throw in the towel.
    Envision, Energize, Enable

  14. #14
    NorCal Climbing Freak
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadVW
    I gotta wonder how you endure 2 hours on a trainer too. Blech. Rolling into the winter season and not being on the rollers in months, I can barely get by an hour on them without wanting to throw in the towel.
    Stuff to watch on the computer, a fan, and normal outdoor carry-alongs like water and cliff bars. Longest one I've done so far is 3 hours 30 minutes. Given my endurance needs, I probably won't go too much over that. Sometimes indoors is better than freezing rain.

  15. #15
    Senior Member The_Convert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    1,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

    Finally, depending on how much you weigh, 300 watts for an hour would likely place you mid pack in a CatV 40K TT.
    Um... of course this is depending on what you weigh, except not how you are presenting it. If you put out 300 watts for an hour, and are around 165 lbs, that is good for at least a mid pack 3's finish.




    as for the thread...
    the real question is how much you weigh jon. You arent that kid who was on the american classic team are you?

  16. #16
    Senior Member zimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
    which would indicate you weigh less than 135lbs. Pretty good power output at that size. http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
    Which shows that the calculator isn't always accurate. I have a PowerTap SL (ok, two, actually) and got my numbers at a recent 10 mile TT at Lowe's Motor Speedway. If I plug the pertinent numbers into the calculator you posted it predicts a speed of 26.2 mph, but here's the actual result:

    My weight: 163lbs with clothes
    Bike weight: 18lbs
    Average power: 308 watts
    Distance: 10.0 miles
    Average speed: 27.1mph
    Configuration: Road bike with aero bars, aero helmet, skin suit

    Incidentally, this online calculator predicted 27.1mph. But sometimes it's off as well.

    --Steve

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianappleby
    i've asked the accuracy question on this forum before and gotten that the TTrac consistenly runs about 60W below the Powertap.

    jon how much do you weigh? 300w at 200lbs is much different than 300w at 160.
    I weigh 145 lbs.
    BTW, I don't have a powertap-my power estimates come from the powermeter on my trainer. WHen I bike outside (hands on the drops, Specialized Aluminum frame road setup) My speed isusually on1ly 22-23mph. Does aerodynamics make that much difference?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •