Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member kmckay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do you crossfit?

    This is a great free fitness program http://www.crossfit.com/ allot of olympic athletes.

    There politics suck imho but the fitness methodology is world class!

  2. #2
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like crossfit as an add-on program to whatever you happen to be training for and I like it's use of plyometric exercises.

    The thing that bothers me about crossfit is that you have to be proficient at olympic style lifting techniques and odd-ball things like Kettlebells. Those lifts can be dangerous if you don't have adequate training.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kmckay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
    I like crossfit as an add-on program to whatever you happen to be training for and I like it's use of plyometric exercises.

    The thing that bothers me about crossfit is that you have to be proficient at olympic style lifting techniques and odd-ball things like Kettlebells. Those lifts can be dangerous if you don't have adequate training.

    Actually you dont need to you can apply crossfit methodology to body weight exercises like pushups pullups and squats here is a great example from the crossfit site.

    5 rounds for time
    20 Pull-ups
    30 Push-ups
    40 Sit-ups
    50 Squats

    and if this it to intent devide by 2 or 5 or whatever suits you

    I have found this stuff to be super effective

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milner, Georgia
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check, IF Crown Jewel, Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Crossfit is a fantastic strength and conditioning program, even if you strip it down to take out the movements that take a high degree of skill like the kettlebells and oly lifting. The short bursts of super intense exercise is a perfect off season cross training program for cyclists, as long as you watch your diet to not put on too much muscle that you'll have to ride off after you start your base.

    However, I did find that focusing too much on Crossfit over the winter didn't give me enough recovery to be fresh for a new season in the spring. Lately, I've found that a combination of light cycling, running, rowing on the C2 erg, and yoga is the best overall off season cross training program.

    I'll get on the bike a couple of times a week to keep the legs spinning, maybe on the road if I can, but usually on the rollers. I'll use running and rowing as my higher intensity cardio and strength-endurance work. And the yoga handles my flexibility and strength.

  5. #5
    Senior Member kmckay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the schedule is very intense if cross fit is not your primary "sport" I do every other day as apposed to the prescribed 3 on 1 off myself.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milner, Georgia
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check, IF Crown Jewel, Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmckay
    Yeah the schedule is very intense if cross fit is not your primary "sport" I do every other day as apposed to the prescribed 3 on 1 off myself.
    That's a good way to go if you're using CF as cross training for your cycling.

    I also found that I couldn't just go 100% at evry workout either. I'd need to treat it just like any other periodization plan. A back off week, followed by 3 weeks of building up the intensity to a week of 100% efforts on the WOD, then another back off week to recover.

    CrossFit is a VERY good system, but you do have to modify it to suit your goals. Last winter I tried to just go gung-ho on the WOD at full bore intensity, and I was fried after about 6 weeks.

  7. #7
    Gorntastic! v1k1ng1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States of Mexico
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riv-Lantis
    That's a good way to go if you're using CF as cross training for your cycling.

    I also found that I couldn't just go 100% at evry workout either. I'd need to treat it just like any other periodization plan. A back off week, followed by 3 weeks of building up the intensity to a week of 100% efforts on the WOD, then another back off week to recover.

    CrossFit is a VERY good system, but you do have to modify it to suit your goals. Last winter I tried to just go gung-ho on the WOD at full bore intensity, and I was fried after about 6 weeks.
    I agree. That is why I wish CF would provide more means for modifying the WOD.

    On another note, have you guys ever been to a CF gym? I imagine a gym where everyone is standing in line to use the equipment specified by the WOD while all the other equipment goes unused.

  8. #8
    Senior Member kmckay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally do not use weights or bells with cf you do not really need any. To scale you can modify weight, intensity, or duration. How do you modify weight without equipment you ask? Body leverage ie change the angle of your pushups. Here is my current regimen.


    five rounds for time

    5 ring pullups

    10 ring Push-ups

    20 squats



    As many rounds as possible in 20 min

    3 ring pullups

    5 ring pushups

    10 squats



    5x5 for time

    ring dips

    inverted pullups



    Tabata 20 seconds on 10 off

    8 intervals push-ups

    8 intervals ring Pullups

    8 intervals plank

    8 intervals squats

    There is no rest between exercises



    5x5 for time

    hand stand pushups

    ring pullups



    For Time

    25 ring pullups

    50 ring pushups

    100 squats

    I do one every other day

    Rings
    http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFit...k_pushups1.jpg

    The ring exercises make bw stuff 2x as hard imo great for intensity I have a link to the rings if anybody is interested and home brew instructions as well they are really fun
    Last edited by kmckay; 10-17-06 at 04:58 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Milner, Georgia
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check, IF Crown Jewel, Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
    I agree. That is why I wish CF would provide more means for modifying the WOD.

    On another note, have you guys ever been to a CF gym? I imagine a gym where everyone is standing in line to use the equipment specified by the WOD while all the other equipment goes unused.
    I've been to CF Atlanta a few times. It's a dedicated CF gym, so everything is geared toward just CF movements. No machines. Just a few sets of rings, a huge pull-up bar, a few C2 Rowers, and a few Oly liftig platforms and bumper plate sets.

    If you're a CrossFitter and you get the chance, it's great to workout at a CF gym. Having other people doing the WOD with you really pushes you with the competition. It's like the difference between a solo training ride and an organized race.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •