Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-07, 05:58 PM   #1
Gotte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone here smoke and ride?

How do you do it?

I haven;t smoked in years, and never really smoked at the same time as I rode, seeing riding as a countermeasure to smoking. but during those rare times I did smoke and ride, I really noticed it when I did (and I was younger then and more able to take it).

Don't get me wrong, I don;t judge any of you (and used-to-be-me) smokers. I know all too well the hook it puts in you. I went back and forth, and for years fell into a smoking trough should something stressfull happen. I put it down to an addictive personality. But like I said, I really never could ride and smoke at the same period of time. I found it just sapped my energy too much.
Gotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 06:11 PM   #2
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, though not 'while' riding. I never really give it a thought, unless I am huffing my butt up a climb, in which case I never fail to vow to quit. But I also tick off my doctor every time I take one of those pulmonary capacity tests and do better than most non-smokers.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 07:35 PM   #3
Seedy J
ボケ
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I smoke about a pack a day and ride. Like chipcom, I do ok on flats but really feel it on climbs. I've been enjoying the post-ride pre-cigarette clean feeling in the lungs a lot lately. I'm hoping that getting a real road bike and getting into racing will be good motivation to quit.
Seedy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 08:39 PM   #4
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight
 
ratebeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never smoke but on a rare special occasion, I will vaporize.
__________________
Joe

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
ratebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 11:15 PM   #5
Oleanshoebox
fart knocker
 
Oleanshoebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: laying back in the cut
Bikes: Red silver blue, doodie caca poo.
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quit cigarettes a few months ago but I smoke on occasion. Maybe once a week, if that.
__________________
Oleanshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 12:09 PM   #6
gfrance
Senior Member
 
gfrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gave up cigs about 6 years ago, but confess to imbibing in other types of smoke

Even as little as that is, I will notice it the next day.
gfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 12:12 PM   #7
late
Senior Member
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Bikes:
Posts: 8,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The second smartest thing I have done in the last half century was quit smoking.
Quit. Don't **** around, just quit. Watching someone die from cancer just sucks.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 04:48 PM   #8
Gotte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Gotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by late
Watching someone die from cancer just sucks.
I speak from expeience in seconding that.
Gotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 11:55 PM   #9
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy
 
Cosmoline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Speeenard 'laska
Bikes:
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I smoke a pipe sometimes on bike rides, but usually not while I'm actually riding. The logistics of that are a bit too complex. I usually go with a Virginia/Oriental blend that's heavy on the Turkish and easy on the tongue. The big risk is burning your mouth. Frog Morton On the Town is a great blend for a ride or hike.
Cosmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 02:24 AM   #10
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight
 
ratebeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
I smoke a pipe sometimes on bike rides, but usually not while I'm actually riding. The logistics of that are a bit too complex. I usually go with a Virginia/Oriental blend that's heavy on the Turkish and easy on the tongue. The big risk is burning your mouth. Frog Morton On the Town is a great blend for a ride or hike.
I've got a soft spot for Esoterica's Pembroke -- especially in Autumn here. I don't smoke that either though. Just heat it to volatilize the aromatics.
__________________
Joe

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
ratebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 11:34 PM   #11
StuntTech
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by late
Don't **** around, just quit.
Best advice I have heard yet. I admit that I smoke. I have been wanting to quit for a while but never really follow through with it. But you are right. Just need to say forget it all and finaly do it.
StuntTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 10:23 AM   #12
carbondale
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes:
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How I quit.

1. (most important step here) Decide that you will never smoke again. Really
2. Pick a weekend to do it. I picked Labor Day weekend 'cause it was 3 days.
3. Buy nicotine gum.
4. Before going to bed the night before, destroy all tobacco products, throw away all matches, lighters, ashtrays
5. Get up on Quit Day and hang on.
6. Drink lots of water. Chew some of the gum.
7. When you really want to smoke, get on the bike and ride till it hurts.
8. Take a nap.
9. Chew some more gum.
10. Go to bed early.
11. Day One is over.
12. Repeat above until urges are gone.
13. Congratulate yourself often.
carbondale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 11:08 AM   #13
SaiKaiTai
Senior Member
 
SaiKaiTai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleanshoebox
Quit cigarettes a few months ago but I smoke on occasion. Maybe once a week, if that.
Then you did not quit, you just cut down. Don't kid yourself.

I quit tobacco 24 years ago. I no longer smoke cigarettes.
SaiKaiTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 11:28 AM   #14
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Then you did not quit, you just cut down. Don't kid yourself.

I quit tobacco 24 years ago. I no longer smoke cigarettes.

There is a difference between an addiction and a vice. One can drink, smoke, have sex, watch sports, etc without necessarily being an addict and 'unable' to stop.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 01:52 PM   #15
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 11,104
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Carbondale is right. Quitting is all about substitution. That's lesson 1. If you've been an addict, then you're either abstinent or you're not. That's lesson 2. If you're not an addict, then cut it out! The physical addiction to nicotine only lasts 3 days. After that, it's just the mental part.

And yes, any sort of a smoke will take down your performance the next day. Alcohol is poison. Don't use it the day before an important ride.
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 01:58 PM   #16
SSP
Software for Cyclists
 
SSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redding, California
Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Posts: 4,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipcom
There is a difference between an addiction and a vice. One can drink, smoke, have sex, watch sports, etc without necessarily being an addict and 'unable' to stop.
99% of smokers are unable to handle nicotine as a "vice"...if that guy is still smoking a few times per week, then he's still an addict, and I predict (based on personal experience) that he'll find himself smoking more than that soon.

FWIW, it takes most successful quitters many attempts before they finally shake the addiction. One of my "quits" was for a year...then I had a stressful bit, picked up "just one pack of smokes to see what they taste like", and was hooked for another year.

Thankfully, I haven't had one of those smelly, toxic, cancer-causing pieces of sh*t in 16 years. And, I live in California, where I rarely have to smell cigarette smoke at all, due to stringent laws prohibiting smoking in public places.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 02:03 PM   #17
SSP
Software for Cyclists
 
SSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redding, California
Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Posts: 4,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbondale
How I quit.

1. (most important step here) Decide that you will never smoke again. Really
2. Pick a weekend to do it. I picked Labor Day weekend 'cause it was 3 days.
3. Buy nicotine gum.
4. Before going to bed the night before, destroy all tobacco products, throw away all matches, lighters, ashtrays
5. Get up on Quit Day and hang on.
6. Drink lots of water. Chew some of the gum.
7. When you really want to smoke, get on the bike and ride till it hurts.
8. Take a nap.
9. Chew some more gum.
10. Go to bed early.
11. Day One is over.
12. Repeat above until urges are gone.
13. Congratulate yourself often.
Excellent advice. I would add a couple of items:

14. Form a really, really negative association with cigarettes. Think of them as evil, putrid, death-dealing pieces of sh*t that are turning your insides black and poisoning you. You want to have a strong visceral reaction to them, to the extent that thinking about smoking makes you want to puke.

15. Be very careful after you've quite for 1 week, 1 month, 3 month, and 6 months. It's very easy to think "I've got this thing whipped" and "I wonder how just one would taste with a beer?", and fall off the wagon (ask me how I know this.... ).

16. Like they do in Alcoholic's Anonymous, admit to yourself that you can't "have just one". Nicotine is a very powerful addictive substance (it's been compared to crack cocaine). And while it can be beat, it's easy availability means that to successfully quit you need to remain vigilant...especially if you live in one of those ******** states that still permit smoking in public places.

Best of luck to everyone who decides to quit...the bike can really help with that. You won't believe how much more energy and stamina you'll have after a few months of not sucking down that stupid poison.

Last edited by SSP; 02-21-07 at 02:17 PM.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 02:22 PM   #18
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP
99% of smokers are unable to handle nicotine as a "vice"...if that guy is still smoking a few times per week, then he's still an addict, and I predict (based on personal experience) that he'll find himself smoking more than that soon.

FWIW, it takes most successful quitters many attempts before they finally shake the addiction. One of my "quits" was for a year...then I had a stressful bit, picked up "just one pack of smokes to see what they taste like", and was hooked for another year.

Thankfully, I haven't had one of those smelly, toxic, cancer-causing pieces of sh*t in 16 years. And, I live in California, where I rarely have to smell cigarette smoke at all, due to stringent laws prohibiting smoking in public places.
I don't buy the 99%, especially if you include ALL smokers, including cigars and pipes. Some folks either don't ever get addicted or they manage to reduce their dependence to the point where it's more of a vice. My grandpa was a good example - smoking his pipe was a Sunday after dinner thing, never touched it otherwise. Indeed, speaking of grandfathers, does smoking a ceremonial pipe, as part of a ceremony of course, make all Native Americans who do so addicted to smoking? Saying that anyone who smokes is an addict is like saying that everyone who takes a drink is an alcoholic.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 03:51 PM   #19
SSP
Software for Cyclists
 
SSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redding, California
Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Posts: 4,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipcom
I don't buy the 99%, especially if you include ALL smokers, including cigars and pipes. Some folks either don't ever get addicted or they manage to reduce their dependence to the point where it's more of a vice. My grandpa was a good example - smoking his pipe was a Sunday after dinner thing, never touched it otherwise. Indeed, speaking of grandfathers, does smoking a ceremonial pipe, as part of a ceremony of course, make all Native Americans who do so addicted to smoking? Saying that anyone who smokes is an addict is like saying that everyone who takes a drink is an alcoholic.
Nicotine is a powerful addictive substance, especially when delivered in cigarette form. I'll stand by my assertion that 99% of cigarette smokers have an "addiction", and not a "vice".

Ceremonial usage in Native American rituals, plus all cigar and pipe usage, probably represents less than 1% of all nicotine consumption in this country. And, no, I don't consider those who smoke a pipe during a ritual ceremony, or a pipe on Sunday afternoons only, as "addicts"...but, the vast majority of cigarette smokers *are* addicts, whether they like to admit it or not.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 02:28 AM   #20
Groundhawg
Senior Member
 
Groundhawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I smoked my last cigarette on March 8, 2006. That's about 86 days ago. I used the cold turkey method. Had previously smoked for about 35 years.

Here's an excellent website with hundreds of articles and a forum.concerning how to quit smoking. The Dr that owns this website says smoking is not a habit. It's definately an addiction.

Here's the link to the website. WhyQuit

Here's another good stop smoking forum. Stop Smoking Center

So for those that really want to stop smoking. These 2 forums can really help.
Groundhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 08:23 AM   #21
Minerva
Lone Ranger
 
Minerva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Middlesex County, NJ
Bikes: Trek 7200FX(unfortunately)
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP
Excellent advice. I would add a couple of items:

14. Form a really, really negative association with cigarettes. Think of them as evil, putrid, death-dealing pieces of sh*t that are turning your insides black and poisoning you. You want to have a strong visceral reaction to them, to the extent that thinking about smoking makes you want to puke.

15. Be very careful after you've quite for 1 week, 1 month, 3 month, and 6 months. It's very easy to think "I've got this thing whipped" and "I wonder how just one would taste with a beer?", and fall off the wagon (ask me how I know this.... ).

16. Like they do in Alcoholic's Anonymous, admit to yourself that you can't "have just one". Nicotine is a very powerful addictive substance (it's been compared to crack cocaine). And while it can be beat, it's easy availability means that to successfully quit you need to remain vigilant...especially if you live in one of those ******** states that still permit smoking in public places.

Best of luck to everyone who decides to quit...the bike can really help with that. You won't believe how much more energy and stamina you'll have after a few months of not sucking down that stupid poison.
I would also like to add a few. I smoked for seven years, then quit cold turkey. As I was quitting, I was running and smoking (not at the same time). That was 4 years ago. This is what helped me:

17. Quit smoking during a busy/stressful time in your life. When you are actively focussing on other problems or issues, quitting smoking just doesn't seem as awful in comparison. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but staying really busy and distracted really helped.

18. Go into the quit knowing it will be the most difficult thing you may have to do in your life, but leave no option for failure. People who set themselves up with 'it will be easy', or 'this is hard and I may cheat' generally fail. I prepared for quitting smoking like I was going to war. It helped to steal my resolve. I knew that failure would be a choice that I made, not somthing that 'happened'. I chose not to make that choice.

19. Remember that if you cheat, you have to go back to the beginning and do it again. If you think day 1 was hard, and you cheat on day 2, you have to go back and do day 1 over again. That was enough to keep me straight. I heard a statistic that said that people who cheat in the first two weeks are much more likely to start smoking again within 6 months. The 'forever' part is very scary, so I said - no cheating for 6 months. After 6 months, I certainly didn't want a cig!

20. Some people think "why bother quitting if I'm always going to crave cigs?" This was my worry. I didn't want to 'want them' all the time! I thought, 'how can I have fun without them?" Rest assured, a day comes when you are as much a non-smoker as you ever were a smoker, and you don't crave them, think about them, or want them. After a year of being a non-smoker, smoking literally digusted me, and made me sick. I can't cheat now - I feel like vomiting if I have one.

21. Exercise was the single most important factor in keeping me going - if I didn't overhaul my health from A-Z, I wouldn't have had the motivation to stay quit.

22. Drink water, and brush your teeth often. Feeling clean helped me fight the urge to smoke.

Good luck to anyone who tries to quit - and even if you do fail, just remember that any less cigarettes smoked is good, and the more often we practice quitting, the better at it we become!!
Minerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 09:09 AM   #22
rodrigaj
Senior Member
 
rodrigaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I quit smoking 28 years ago.

I started when I was 14 years old with my cousin Ruben who was 16. We were both in our 20's when we were up to 3 packs a day.

I quit and he continued. He died 2 years ago at the age of 58 from emphysema. His last 5 years of his life were spent walking around with an oxygen tank, unable to make it up stairs without panting. His death was excrutiatingly painful.

I quit cold turkey, because they had no nicotine supplements at that time. It was the single most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. It took 2 weeks of constant urges before I quit thinking about cigaretts every second of the day. I dreamt about smoking. I woke in the middle of the night and started scavenging my garbage looking for a butt.

For those of you who smoke, I know how difficult it is to stop. But you really have no choice. I'm not making a moral judgement here. It simply is the right thing to do.
rodrigaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 09:24 AM   #23
Lecterman
The Guadfather
 
Lecterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fart Worth
Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I quit smoking almost 7 years ago. Smartest thing I ever did....that and losing 230 lbs.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
"Minor bun engine, made Benny Lava!!!"
Lecterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 06:58 PM   #24
KeatonR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Bikes: 05 Lemond Poprad, 11 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotte
How do you do it?

I haven;t smoked in years, and never really smoked at the same time as I rode, seeing riding as a countermeasure to smoking. but during those rare times I did smoke and ride, I really noticed it when I did (and I was younger then and more able to take it).
When I see someone smoking and riding, I always assume they got a DUI and are riding to work because they have to, not by choice.

I smoked a pack a day for about five years, about 15 years ago. Must say, I loved cigs, but I'm sure glad I was able to give them up. Good luck to everyone's who's trying to. You can do it.
KeatonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 08:30 PM   #25
mirage1
Bossy Bunny
 
mirage1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Bikes: A comfy little Diamond Wildwood
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhawg
I smoked my last cigarette on March 8, 2006. That's about 86 days ago. I used the cold turkey method. Had previously smoked for about 35 years.
Congratulations, that's great!

I quit almost 15 years ago, after smoking for about 10. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, hands down. For the longest time I said to myself that if I could make it one year, I'd have a cigarette on the anniversary to celebrate. Luckily, I had realized by then that with cigarettes I'm like an alcoholic--I simply can't have "one" because it'll be a downward spiral.

To add to the tips already given in this thread...The one thing that helped me more than anything else was when I really wanted one, I'd take like a pretend puff: I'd suck in and hold it for a second and then let it out, as if I were actually smoking. It seemed to relax me and although obviously it wasn't the same, it was close enough to get me through those wild moments of Got To Have One NOW!

I also quit cold turkey; I threw away half a pack of cigarettes on the way to Vegas and that was that. I cannot tell a lie, though; if someone told me the earth was ending tomorrow I'd probably buy a pack on my way to the party.
__________________
Margie

"Assume a virtue, if you have it not." ~ William Shakespeare

This advice is the reason I'm masquerading as an athletic person.
mirage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:52 AM.