Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    rolled ankle, rehab help?

    hey everyone,

    I rolled my right ankle in a soccer match this morning. (we won 1:0) I landed on the outside right part of my foot and all my weight came down on my ankle in this unstable position. That was the roll...I was four feet from the goal line and crawled off the pitch...

    The ball of the ankle on the right side (outside) has swolen pretty good. So, I know I pulled or twisted the ligament (lateral collateral ligament)--and am sure the deltoid ligament (front) is ok. I am not in terrible pain when I walk. I can put pressure on it, and even walk normally. I have a brace for lateral stability.

    It is relativly minor injury save keeping me off the field and off the bike for a while. I am interested in any rehab tips, methods and suggestions anyone may offer for a solid recovery. Specifically exercises and such...anything to build stronger ankles . I know I will be off it for a week or two--heaven forbid--perhaps even more...

    Thanks in advance!
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  2. #2
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count on at least 4-6 weeks from my own personal history with the exact same injury. I've done it numerous times on both legs over the decades of playing soccer. By "brace" do you mean you have a splint-type support? An air-cast is what I had and it really helps to reduce forces on the injured ligaments.

    You want to use cold-compresses late in the day as the leg swells up from hobbling around. Then wrap in Ace-bandages overnight to reduce swelling even more. Prescription-strength does of ibuprofen helps (1000mg 2x a day). After about 2-3 weeks, you feel the pain go down to the point where you can ride gently. Take small 10-mile spins to loosen things up. Stretch out afterwards and regularly through the day. Keep the brace on when walking to prevent accidental slips that can re-injure it. When you have full flexibility with no pain or any kind, you can then resume longer rides. Do at least 1-month of LSD with no intensity to build the joint back up. Good luck!
    Last edited by DannoXYZ; 04-14-07 at 05:44 PM.

  3. #3
    Senor Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R.i.c.e.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.2
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had many problems with my ankles from playing sports in high school and college. Rolled each one multiple times. One of the best exercises I've done to help get my range of motion back is to go through the alphabet with your foot a couple of time every hour.

  5. #5
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
    Count on at least 4-6 weeks from my own personal history with the exact same injury. I've done it numerous times on both legs over the decades of playing soccer. By "brace" do you mean you have a splint-type support? An air-cast is what I had and it really helps to reduce forces on the injured ligaments.

    You want to use cold-compresses late in the day as the leg swells up from hobbling around. Then wrap in Ace-bandages overnight to reduce swelling even more. Prescription-strength does of ibuprofen helps (1000mg 2x a day). After about 2-3 weeks, you feel the pain go down to the point where you can ride gently. Take small 10-mile spins to loosen things up. Stretch out afterwards and regularly through the day. Keep the brace on when walking to prevent accidental slips that can re-injure it. When you have full flexibility with no pain or any kind, you can then resume longer rides. Do at least 1-month of LSD with no intensity to build the joint back up. Good luck!
    Hey Danno. Yes, ACE makes a decent brace with plastic along the lateral ligament, not as solid as an air cast, but I think suitable for this level of injury. I am not hobbling around as much as I was earlier, I suppose time will tell how intense the damage was...

    Warden, good advice! I'll do this regularly once I think some healing has taken place.

    !!Comatoa$ted...such a "blanket generalization" warrants some kind of discussion...no?
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  6. #6
    Senor Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slim_77
    !!Comatoa$ted...such a "blanket generalization" warrants some kind of discussion...no?
    I was the king of sprained ankles, and I found that r.i.c.e. worked pretty good.

    If you wrap your ankle with a bandage make sure to wrap from the foot towards the knee so you promote fluid return, and don't forget the range of motion while you are recovering to prevent muscle atrophy.


    Whenever I hurt myself as a kid, or was sick, my dad would give me orange juice and bananas, it is a panacea in my family.

  7. #7
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by !!Comatoa$ted
    I was the king of sprained ankles, and I found that r.i.c.e. worked pretty good.

    If you wrap your ankle with a bandage make sure to wrap from the foot towards the knee so you promote fluid return, and don't forget the range of motion while you are recovering to prevent muscle atrophy.


    Whenever I hurt myself as a kid, or was sick, my dad would give me orange juice and bananas, it is a panacea in my family.
    OJ and bananas...If we ever have children this I may try!

    Thanks all!
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  8. #8
    Aut Vincere Aut Mori Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My Bikes
    Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be patient. Sometimes an ankle sprain can be a nagging injury that takes as long to be 100% as a minor break.

    Try to elevate the joint well above your heart with a bag of frozen peas wrapped tightly around the joint with an ACE wrap. If you've got a lot of swelling, flexing and relaxing your toes can help circulate the blood and get it out of the joint.

  9. #9
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
    Be patient. Sometimes an ankle sprain can be a nagging injury that takes as long to be 100% as a minor break.

    Try to elevate the joint well above your heart with a bag of frozen peas wrapped tightly around the joint with an ACE wrap. If you've got a lot of swelling, flexing and relaxing your toes can help circulate the blood and get it out of the joint.
    I'll try...

    ...have not heard that one...I'm trying it out as we speak...

    Thanks
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  10. #10
    Weakling
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rice
    I Am Spartacus

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From rolling my ankle multimple times playing the "other" football, by far the best remedy I found was to fill a bucket with cold water and dump almost a whole bag of ice in and dunk the whole foot, you shouldn't be able to stand it for more than 10 minutes and it should seem like 5 hours. The whole time your foot is in there do the alphabet, it will not only distract you but it will get the blood flowing which will flush out the fluid, it also circulates the cold water so body heat doesn't warm the water right around you. Repeat after a half hour break if it's really bad. Few nights of that along with plenty of Motrin and you will be good to go, I usually take 2-3 times the regualr dose for an injury. Surgical tubing if you have access to it is also great for doing light resistence work to ease you back.

  12. #12
    Senior Member slim_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    chicago,Il
    My Bikes
    yes please
    Posts
    2,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeacs70
    From rolling my ankle multimple times playing the "other" football, by far the best remedy I found was to fill a bucket with cold water and dump almost a whole bag of ice in and dunk the whole foot, you shouldn't be able to stand it for more than 10 minutes and it should seem like 5 hours. The whole time your foot is in there do the alphabet, it will not only distract you but it will get the blood flowing which will flush out the fluid, it also circulates the cold water so body heat doesn't warm the water right around you. Repeat after a half hour break if it's really bad. Few nights of that along with plenty of Motrin and you will be good to go, I usually take 2-3 times the regualr dose for an injury. Surgical tubing if you have access to it is also great for doing light resistence work to ease you back.


    .....this sssuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkksssss!!!!!!!!! (ice bath as I type.......9 min to go!)


    so, the ibuprofen ...is this more for the pain or swelling?
    Last edited by slim_77; 04-16-07 at 06:38 PM.
    gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do this fairly often when I played soccer.

    I finally fixed it the following way. Whenever I'd be standing around before soccer I'd spend time rolling my feet in and out (kindof the way that you injured your ankle). Over time I got more flexible and strong, and didn't have them any more...
    Eric

    2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
    199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

    Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
    Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibuprofen is for the swelling which actually causes part of the pain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •