For those interested, I am going to provide periodic updates on the "Body for Life" program that my wife and I are pursuing. Others please disregard.
My wife and I have been in the "Body for Life" program for a week now, and are loving it.
1. I have lost 3 pounds.
2. We have an excellent trainer/weight lifter who is also a registered physical therapist, and is near our age group (we are in our mid 60's, he is in his 40's). This has given my wife a lot of confidence, as she is absolutely scared to death of reinjuring her back and knee and going back into severe pain. He has modified a number of the recommended exercises just to fit her.
3. While I have been lifting for some time, I have never had any instruction in proper techniques, and am learning just a tremendous amount. It has been great, and also, I can see where I have been missing some muscle groups in my previous program. Man, the DOMS after the first workout was a major clue!!
4. We both are finding the 6 meals per day approach to be excellent for our needs. Protein, complex carbo and veggies for each meal, along with lots of water.
5. Our rec center approach does not endorse in any manner using supplements (legalities, I assume), so this has not been a major part of the program. However, they are having a big sale (2 for 1) at our local supermarket on the EAS products, so we bought a little to try. I know, for example, that after teaching all day long with an early lunch, I get terribly hungry on the way home. Having a good bar to eat would be great. Of course, Friday was my last day at school for this year.
6. The cardio has been the easiest, as we have always done excellent cardio. It was just a small step up from what we have always done. Faster walking, for example. I am increasing my biking as school is out, and I have time. I threw in 20 miles yesterday right after school and hope to begin riding daily as of tomorrow (it is freezing outside right now with snow predicted).
It cleared up nicely, and we got out for 1.5 hour ride. A bit chilly, but very nice!!
I am doing double the cardio suggested just because we are so used to cardio, and it is no problem for me, and is actually what I am used to doing, except with a little more intensity.
Anyway, just wanted to give you a progress report.
We really needed an organized program, and, despite our best efforts, could not bring it off by ourselves.
We are the oldest couple in the group of about 30 starting this together. I think we are probably doing real well in regards to the weight lifting and cardio.