Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-07, 09:24 AM   #1
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
diet: too little?I need help

hi guys, im having a little trouble with the lingering affect of overtraining and they think it could be my diet could some guys who race and train about 300-250 miles/week post their diets?

James
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 09:40 AM   #2
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i thought i'd add a diet log.
Attached Files
File Type: doc What I ate.doc (29.0 KB, 63 views)
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 10:11 AM   #3
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's late May.

I smell too much volume and not enough intensity if you're consistently laying down ~15-20 hours per week on the bike while racing.

But you asked for diet tips...but you know the drill, it looks like the predominance of your calories should come from carbohydrates, as you're going to be burning a lot of energy on your daily grind.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 02:31 AM   #4
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i get most of my cals from carbs i was wondering if it was too carby. fo fat and protein affect testosterone and cortisol?
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 10:54 PM   #5
ericgu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstout
hi guys, im having a little trouble with the lingering affect of overtraining and they think it could be my diet could some guys who race and train about 300-250 miles/week post their diets?

James
James,

"Food for fitness" has a lot of great information and some guidelines for how much protein you need each day. My recollection is that there are a lot of carbs in the diets of athletes.

How is your recovery nutrition. I've been amazed at how well endurox works to keep me fresh and my legs happy.
__________________
Eric

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com
ericgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 02:14 AM   #6
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgu
James,

"Food for fitness" has a lot of great information and some guidelines for how much protein you need each day. My recollection is that there are a lot of carbs in the diets of athletes.

How is your recovery nutrition. I've been amazed at how well endurox works to keep me fresh and my legs happy.
i normally eat yogurt bannana and grape nuts with rai9sins straight after a long ride im a poor student and we dont have endurox over here-i have a tub of whey portein i could mix something up?
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 05:24 PM   #7
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It seems like you eat pretty well, but it’s hard too tell if it’s enough because your log doesn't add up the caloric value or grams c/f/p of all those things you ate.

fitday.com is nice in that after you have programmed in your most common foods (melba toast, yogurt, cereal, raisins) it's pretty quick each day.

Try eating eggs every once and a while, nutrient dense and tasty.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 12:29 PM   #8
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fitday only seems to work in volume measures which i don't have to give an idea i had for breakfast 70g oats 170ml milk (rest water also 1 tsp maple syrup and yog and 20g fromage frais) 15g raisins 50g bread and 5g of pb and an apple.

carb portions are 70g ish uncooked pasta rice etc protein is generally about 100-150g i dont specifically intake any fats apart fromt he 5g of pb in the morning ( in ever weigh it but i did one day just to see how much i was having) is this lack of fats bad?
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 09:17 PM   #9
ericgu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstout
i normally eat yogurt bannana and grape nuts with rai9sins straight after a long ride im a poor student and we dont have endurox over here-i have a tub of whey portein i could mix something up?
I think you're probably a little light on the protein after the ride. The real test for me is how I feel about two hours after the ride. If I'm really hungry, I didn't do the right thing with recovery. But if I'm feeling satisfied after a couple hours, that's a good sign.

Oh, and also make sure that you get enough liquid.
__________________
Eric

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com
ericgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 02:20 AM   #10
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 hours later im hungry shold i add some of my whey protein in the mix?
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 06:57 AM   #11
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype
 
RiPHRaPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: chicagoland area
Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict
Posts: 2,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that we know what you do for ~3 hours a day, what are you doing for the other 20-21 hours of the day? Are you getting enough rest? Do you have down time? Are you sleeping well? Do you have an excess of drama in your life?
RiPHRaPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 10:17 AM   #12
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
Now that we know what you do for ~3 hours a day, what are you doing for the other 20-21 hours of the day? Are you getting enough rest? Do you have down time? Are you sleeping well? Do you have an excess of drama in your life?
im a student so i do lots of reading and essay writing i sleep about 7-9 hours i guess. I also do some weights 2x a wek and some core work. I dont drink much and if i go out i try to be backby 12. I dont have much time completely relaxing i guess...
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 09:22 PM   #13
ericgu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstout
2 hours later im hungry shold i add some of my whey protein in the mix?
If you're hungry hungry a couple of hours later, I'd suggest adding a little whey protein the next time. Or especially if your hungry but eating something doesn't really help.
__________________
Eric

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com
ericgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 01:51 AM   #14
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgu
If you're hungry hungry a couple of hours later, I'd suggest adding a little whey protein the next time. Or especially if your hungry but eating something doesn't really help.
yes that's how it is. i can tell my stomach is full but i want more!
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 02:37 PM   #15
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstout
fitday only seems to work in volume measures
If the food is a fluid, or at least pours, it will be in volume measures. Otherwise the oz they are talking about is 28g. For most foods you can also change the measure using the dropdown menu.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 02:50 PM   #16
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aah 1oz is 28g ok. But with oats it has like 1 cup of ats or with peanut butter it has 1 serving - a serving is 2tbsp i eat like a tsp! Also is it ok to have an egg a day, i have started to do this but is blood cholesterol an issue ( i hear its not linked to dietary cholesterol) my family has a history. I have got loads of oily fish to eat too. I love oily ish, anyone got anything good to do with fresh mackerel?
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 03:09 PM   #17
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstout
aah 1oz is 28g ok. But with oats it has like 1 cup of ats or with peanut butter it has 1 serving - a serving is 2tbsp i eat like a tsp! Also is it ok to have an egg a day, i have started to do this but is blood cholesterol an issue ( i hear its not linked to dietary cholesterol) my family has a history. I have got loads of oily fish to eat too. I love oily ish, anyone got anything good to do with fresh mackerel?
For the peanut butter just put in the fraction of a serving you ate (eg 0.25). Look up volume/mass conversions (teaspoon, tablespoon, cup, mL, etc).

I don’t weigh my food; I use the nutritional information off the package. So say I ate half of the package I would:
Take the package size in grams.
Divide that by the reported serving size to get the total number of serving in the package.
Multiply the number of servings consumed (in my case half of the total) by the listed calories per serving off of the package to get total calories consumed.
I then take that number and divide it by the number of calories fitday says each serving has to get the number of servings to enter into fitday.

This sound hard at first but it’s really not, especially if you use the “add custom food” feature. Just program in the most common foods you eat using the quantities you normally consume. After a while you just have to use the “add recent” or “add custom food” dropdown bars to enter everything really quick.

Eggs in moderation (1/day ave) are no problem. The benefits from of all the nutrients far outweigh any potential, and debatable, cholesterol risk. I just bake fish with lemon, it's ok but not great IMO.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 03:19 PM   #18
ChezJfrey
Rider in the Storm
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: LeMond Zurich, KHS Fiero (Fixed), Centurion Ironman Expert
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm mostly a runner, but I'll chime in anyway. Strictly speaking, overtraining is an oft-used, but seldom correct self-diagnosis. However, you could be over-reaching a bit, so check your training schedule and make sure to allow some recovery/base mile rides between workouts. And if you're racing right now, lighten the weekly mileage a bit and work on some speed to keep sharp between races.

As for diet, I log about 80-100 miles/week running and 100 miles/week cycling, so my nutritional needs should be similar to a 300-400 mpw cyclist.

I was feeling tired a bit too often so I started keeping better tabs on my food consumption. Normally, I just ate when I felt hungry, but after carefully monitoring my caloric expenditures/intake for a month, I made a startling discovery - I was operating in a state of caloric deficit. I was shocked by how much since I tend to eat all day long...we're talking sometimes a 1,000 calories short daily. Now, most of the time this was during the weekdays, while I'm at work. I did notice that my weekend eating was much more in line with my activity level.

Admittedly, I'm a pretty slight guy at 6 feet and 165 pounds, but I would never consider myself unhealthy - heck I'm a marathoner so I've got plenty of strength and endurance! I started forcing myself to consume many more calories, more evenly distributed throughout the day. Now comes the interesting part - I've increased my food intake by about 800-1,000 calories per day (I'm now eating 4,300 - 4,800 calories per day) and I've lost weight! I've lost 4 pounds (down to 161) and about a 1/2 inch from my waistline. Now I'm stepping into the Twilight Zone!

The increased fuel intake has improved my day-to-day recovery, given me more energy to burn and paradoxically, is lightening the load as well, so bottom-line is (assuming you sleep enough and train appropriately) you may need to eat more! Measure your food intake against your activity level and make sure they balance!

I keep track every day now in order to obtain maximum benefits from my training regimen.
ChezJfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 03:32 PM   #19
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezJfrey

I log about 80-100 miles/week running and 100 miles/week cycling,
That's crazy run volume.

I am not surprised at all your body reacted "backwards" to increased food consumption. You just corrected some nutritional deficiency that was screwing with your cellular machinery.

You need to eat a very large amount… very roughly:
100mile x 110kcal/mile = 11,000
100mile x 40kcal/mile = 4,000
BMR 2100 x 7 = 14,700

~4240kcal/day… that is some serious eating.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 01:28 AM   #20
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezJfrey
I'm mostly a runner, but I'll chime in anyway. Strictly speaking, overtraining is an oft-used, but seldom correct self-diagnosis. However, you could be over-reaching a bit, so check your training schedule and make sure to allow some recovery/base mile rides between workouts. And if you're racing right now, lighten the weekly mileage a bit and work on some speed to keep sharp between races.

As for diet, I log about 80-100 miles/week running and 100 miles/week cycling, so my nutritional needs should be similar to a 300-400 mpw cyclist.

I was feeling tired a bit too often so I started keeping better tabs on my food consumption. Normally, I just ate when I felt hungry, but after carefully monitoring my caloric expenditures/intake for a month, I made a startling discovery - I was operating in a state of caloric deficit. I was shocked by how much since I tend to eat all day long...we're talking sometimes a 1,000 calories short daily. Now, most of the time this was during the weekdays, while I'm at work. I did notice that my weekend eating was much more in line with my activity level.

Admittedly, I'm a pretty slight guy at 6 feet and 165 pounds, but I would never consider myself unhealthy - heck I'm a marathoner so I've got plenty of strength and endurance! I started forcing myself to consume many more calories, more evenly distributed throughout the day. Now comes the interesting part - I've increased my food intake by about 800-1,000 calories per day (I'm now eating 4,300 - 4,800 calories per day) and I've lost weight! I've lost 4 pounds (down to 161) and about a 1/2 inch from my waistline. Now I'm stepping into the Twilight Zone!

The increased fuel intake has improved my day-to-day recovery, given me more energy to burn and paradoxically, is lightening the load as well, so bottom-line is (assuming you sleep enough and train appropriately) you may need to eat more! Measure your food intake against your activity level and make sure they balance!

I keep track every day now in order to obtain maximum benefits from my training regimen.
i was defo overtrained it was an endochrinological diagnosis im talking high cortisol low test hyper thyroidism

were you missing any macros in particualir or just low in claories per se? could you link your fitday so i can get an idea?
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 09:43 AM   #21
ChezJfrey
Rider in the Storm
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: LeMond Zurich, KHS Fiero (Fixed), Centurion Ironman Expert
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstout
i was defo overtrained it was an endochrinological diagnosis im talking high cortisol low test hyper thyroidism

were you missing any macros in particualir or just low in claories per se? could you link your fitday so i can get an idea?
Ah yes, thyroid imbalances do pose problems -- Galen Rupp and Adam Goucher (elite runners) come to mind.

I don't use fitday, so I don't have a link. My diet is pretty balanced (I adhere to 55/30/15 carb/fat/protein and make sure to eat fruits/vegetables often) so my macro mineral intake is generally good. Although I didn't get hemoglobin/ferritin tested, I was concerned about a lack of iron since it is a common deficiency for distance runners - I merely focused on a few more iron-rich foods. But, my improved health followed when I simply started eating more of what I was already eating so I'm pretty sure I was simply not ingesting enough calories.
ChezJfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 04:39 PM   #22
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my split looks closer to 70/20/25 c/p/f is that bad? The doctors tell me carbs-> less cortisol is that true?
How did those runners get over their issues? I have low haemoglobin but thats a symptom of the thyroid issue.
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-07, 10:39 AM   #23
ChezJfrey
Rider in the Storm
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: LeMond Zurich, KHS Fiero (Fixed), Centurion Ironman Expert
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know the prescribed treatment for Rupp or Goucher.

As for your dietary split, you may want to check your math, 70 + 20 + 25 = 115 Though, I get what you're saying - as far as I know, high carbs are called for with hyperthyroid. Unfortunately, a diet for endocrine problems is outside the scope of my knowledge. All I know for your case would be get more zinc, high carbs and fish, which it seems you already know.
ChezJfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-07, 04:10 PM   #24
jamesstout
c'mon up front and work
Thread Starter
 
jamesstout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, ca
Bikes: r5, Diverge, flash f1, ute, Mataro ...
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fish simply as a lean protein choice or other benefits?
jamesstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-07, 04:14 PM   #25
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesstout
fish simply as a lean protein choice or other benefits?
omega 3 polyunsaturated fats.

As for cortisol control try to eat some protein with breakfast as cortisol levels are highest in the morning and protein can help attenuate that peak. Sorry I don't have the reference to where I got that from.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 AM.