Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-07, 02:34 PM   #1
Bentley6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bentley6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winchester, Il.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Calves Bawling

If after I've ridden about 40 miles or so and me calves feel like they are ready to cramp up does it mean that my seat height is either a little too high? I drink plenty of fluids during the ride as well. Thanks.
Bentley6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 02:52 PM   #2
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you drink electrolytes too? How about food?
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 03:06 PM   #3
babydee
Cyclo Sapiens
 
babydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Electrolytes, fluid, or possibly really really tight calves that need stretching. That's what's popping into my blonde little head.
babydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 03:55 PM   #4
Bentley6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bentley6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winchester, Il.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydee
Electrolytes, fluid, or possibly really really tight calves that need stretching. That's what's popping into my blonde little head.
Yeah I do drink electrolytes and usually snack on something. Probably don't stretch before riding near enough though.
Bentley6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 04:30 PM   #5
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 11,653
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley6
Yeah I do drink electrolytes and usually snack on something. Probably don't stretch before riding near enough though.
Error . . error . . error . . Don't stretch at all before riding. Stretch after an hour or so or when you get back or at your first potti break. Or don't stretch at all. Check your saddle height. With hips level and your heel on the pedal, your knee should just lock out. If your heel comes off the pedal when the cranks are lined up with the seat tube, lower your saddle until it touches comfortably. Also, don't consciously ankle during your pedal stroke. Try to keep your heels down throughout the stroke. Heels down and pedal round. Then your toe will naturally drop at the bottom of the stroke. Do one-legged calf raises either after a ride or on a non-riding day. Do one set of 20-40 of them twice a week. Do them until failure.
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 12:28 PM   #6
Bentley6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bentley6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winchester, Il.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Error . . error . . error . . Don't stretch at all before riding. Stretch after an hour or so or when you get back or at your first potti break. Or don't stretch at all. Check your saddle height. With hips level and your heel on the pedal, your knee should just lock out. If your heel comes off the pedal when the cranks are lined up with the seat tube, lower your saddle until it touches comfortably. Also, don't consciously ankle during your pedal stroke. Try to keep your heels down throughout the stroke. Heels down and pedal round. Then your toe will naturally drop at the bottom of the stroke. Do one-legged calf raises either after a ride or on a non-riding day. Do one set of 20-40 of them twice a week. Do them until failure.
Well I believe I have the saddle adjusted properly but will recheck it. As far as stretching, I'm ok then cause I usually do my stretching on the bike a few miles after start. Thanks.
Bentley6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.