If so, what dosage to you take and what positive effects do you notice in relation to your bike training?
I have, in the past, found MSM to be a very useful supplement for a wide variety of different reasons. For a time, taking 10g a day of it gave me so much energy I constantly wanted to run instead of walk, and had hair and skin as soft as a baby's. On top of that, I didn't have any soreness problems related with my active lifestyle. Another effect I noticed at the time on my job (as a pizza cook) was that I didn't blister if I accidentally made contact with the 600+ degree oven when supplementing with plentiful MSM, whereas if I wasn't using any I'd easily blister. Recently I started supplementing again after almost forgetting about the stuff because of knee pain, and already it is feeling better.
http://www.msm-info.com/ has quite a bit of useful info.
http://www.msm-info.com/#ChronicThe way MSM impacts pain is currently explained by the following mechanisms:
- MSM is a natural analgetic: it blocks the transfer of pain impulses through nerve fibers (C-fibers).
- MSM blocks inflammations and inflammatory processes. MSM enhances the activity of cortisol, a natural anti-inflammatory hormone produced by the body.
- MSM improves the permeability of cell membranes. This improves the uptake of nutrients and many vitamins and the elimination of waste products and excess cellular fluids.
- MSM dilates bloood vessels, enhancing the blood circulation. This, too, helps to eliminate waste products from the body, which speeds up healing.
- MSM is a muscle relaxant. This is an important and often overlooked benefit of MSM. Many chronic pains are aggrevated by chronic muscle tension in the body.
- MSM aids the natural defense mechanisms in the body by regulating the prostaglandin metabolism, and regulates the formation of anitbodies and immune complexes.
MSM slows down and restores crosslinking in collagen. Crosslinking in collagen is a natural process in scar formation, causing hard and often painful scar tissues. Particularly in the case of burn scars, in which large surface areas may be affected, this may lead to chronic pain. MSM heals scar tissue which makes the skin more flexible. Dramatic examples are known of people who have treated burn scars with a MSM ointment and have seen their scars almost disappear and have eliminated associated pains.