Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-07, 09:39 PM   #1
MAK
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Mid-Ride snack for diabetics

I'd like some recommendations for bars or snacks for on the road nutrition. I use CamelBak Elixir to drink so my fluids and electrolytes are being replenished but I need some sort of back pocket food. I'm concerned with the bars because the ones I've seen are 25 to 50 carbs each and I'd like to avoid having my blood sugar spiking/dropping/spiking/dropping. I'm stiil a bit overweight so I'd rather access "stored" fat and sugar rather than just adding to it, but I need the energy boost so I'll value any legitimate suggestions.

Thank you.
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 05:44 AM   #2
cujet
I give up!
 
cujet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jupiter, FL
Bikes: Homemade Ti, Hab frame
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not diabetic, but I do suffer from extreme low blood sugar due to hyperinsulemia/thyroid problems.

I have to eat like a diabetic to maintain a steady 70-80. Otherwise I dip to 55 and become shaky/hungry even if I am full.

Someone here suggested fig newtons as a during ride snack. They seem to work quite well. I can eat something like this (with some sugar) as during a ride, I am burning it off as fast as I can metabolize it. It is not liquid sugar, so I think absorbsion is slightly slower.

I found a recipie for energy bars containg oatmeal, peanut butter, raisins, honey, protein powder, nuts and coconut. I adjust the amounts of each to produce a balance that works for me without causing a pre ride blood sugar issue (in my case, too low due to insulin reaction).

Thanks to some suggestions here, I discovered that a very targeted pre ride meal is quite important.

Chris
cujet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 08:23 PM   #3
doghouse
Senior Member
 
doghouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middle Tennessee
Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am on an insulin pump and use Nature Valley Fruit and Nut trail mix bars, in the cereal aisles. The almonds, raisins, peanuts and cranberries combine with the grains to offer complex carbs needed for slow glucose release and are 25 carbs per bar. You don't have to eat the whole thing at once.

They are my staple, carry with me all the time, backup to glucose tablets. The don't melt. And even if you squash them, since they have the consistancy of rice krispy treats, they are still edible. Other flavors are available as well.

And they taste good!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 09:53 PM   #4
ericgu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK
I'd like some recommendations for bars or snacks for on the road nutrition. I use CamelBak Elixir to drink so my fluids and electrolytes are being replenished but I need some sort of back pocket food. I'm concerned with the bars because the ones I've seen are 25 to 50 carbs each and I'd like to avoid having my blood sugar spiking/dropping/spiking/dropping. I'm stiil a bit overweight so I'd rather access "stored" fat and sugar rather than just adding to it, but I need the energy boost so I'll value any legitimate suggestions.

Thank you.
Whether you are type I or type II has a big impact on this.

Generally, a hydration drink (with carbs) is the best choice to keep your blood sugar constant. And if you want to lose weight, your best bet is to keep your blood sugar constant. I like newtons and/or bagels as a supplement to my hydration drink, but it's a very personal choice. Complex carbs are good, and you don't want to have much fat.

Trying to limit your carbs during your workout has problems.

First, you need the sugar to metabolize fat. Your sugar stores are limited, and when you run out of them, you will "bonk". That's something that you don't want to happen, as it's not pleasant.

Second, keeping your blood sugar constant means you are less hungry when you finish.

Simple and complex sugar during workout is the only time it's okay to have them. They have a bad effect otherwise, but not while you're exercising...
__________________
Eric

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com
ericgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 10:07 PM   #5
MAK
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thank you to the three of you for your comments. FYI, I'm a type 2 and I'm just trying to be careful.
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 01:13 PM   #6
slim_77
Senior Member
 
slim_77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chicago,Il
Bikes: yes please
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...by cycling you are taking control of your health. Congrats on that point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgu
Whether you are type I or type II has a big impact on this.

Generally, a hydration drink (with carbs) is the best choice to keep your blood sugar constant. And if you want to lose weight, your best bet is to keep your blood sugar constant. I like newtons and/or bagels as a supplement to my hydration drink, but it's a very personal choice. Complex carbs are good, and you don't want to have much fat.

Trying to limit your carbs during your workout has problems.

First, you need the sugar to metabolize fat. Your sugar stores are limited, and when you run out of them, you will "bonk". That's something that you don't want to happen, as it's not pleasant.

Second, keeping your blood sugar constant means you are less hungry when you finish.

Simple and complex sugar during workout is the only time it's okay to have them. They have a bad effect otherwise, but not while you're exercising...
+1, you still need the simple & complex sugars so to exercise hard enough to then burn the extra stores of fat. Remember that you metabolize at a greater rate for 24-48 hours after exercising and that is seperate from processing the sugars you consume while on a ride, because you burn those very quickly.

I am a type 1 diabetic, also on the insulin pump, and was at first quite wary of ingesting simple sugars (gel, gatorade) on my rides for similar reasons as you. Yet, after trial and error(s) and by speaking to other diabetics I have figured out how to better manage this balance, as you will...

good luck!

Last edited by slim_77; 06-30-07 at 05:52 PM.
slim_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 07:01 AM   #7
AnthonyG
Senior Member
 
AnthonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Queanbeyan, Australia.
Bikes:
Posts: 3,686
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
OK here's a suggestion. Fish oil capsules. Seriously!

I use them all the time for long slow rides as fish oil is just the food to burn on such rides. They're certainly not a big carb boost to power a sprint but then, that's not what you are looking for. Take 4-5 per hour.

Regards, Anthony
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-07, 10:15 PM   #8
MAK
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delaware
Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse
I am on an insulin pump and use Nature Valley Fruit and Nut trail mix bars, in the cereal aisles. The almonds, raisins, peanuts and cranberries combine with the grains to offer complex carbs needed for slow glucose release and are 25 carbs per bar. You don't have to eat the whole thing at once.

They are my staple, carry with me all the time, backup to glucose tablets. The don't melt. And even if you squash them, since they have the consistancy of rice krispy treats, they are still edible. Other flavors are available as well.

And they taste good!
Thank you. I tried them and they seem to work well for me. I use Camelbak Elixir to drink so my electrolytes are replenished without additional sugar so I think you've helped me find my answer.
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 07:01 AM   #9
Gordonm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Marlton NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse
I am on an insulin pump and use Nature Valley Fruit and Nut trail mix bars, in the cereal aisles. The almonds, raisins, peanuts and cranberries combine with the grains to offer complex carbs needed for slow glucose release and are 25 carbs per bar. You don't have to eat the whole thing at once.

They are my staple, carry with me all the time, backup to glucose tablets. The don't melt. And even if you squash them, since they have the consistancy of rice krispy treats, they are still edible. Other flavors are available as well.

And they taste good!
Thanks for the info on this. I am also a type 1 on the pump. 32 years MDI and 8 months on the pump now. Why did I wait so long. I carry Gu packets for the emergency low but have been trying different mixes for just maintaning. I'll give this a try now. Always looking for better ways to keep a good BS level.
Gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 07:03 PM   #10
JLauren
Skybird
 
JLauren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find that a simple package of peanutbutter crackers every hour works for me (as long as I don't get the low-fat ones). Mix of carbs, fat, protien, salt.

Type I for 21 years, pumper for about 10 years, cyclist for about 2.5 years.
JLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 07:29 PM   #11
doghouse
Senior Member
 
doghouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middle Tennessee
Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tried the peanut butter crackers but they got broken up a lot.

+1 on the glucose for emergencies. My "wedge" has them, the granola bars and a meter in addition to the fix-a-flat necessities. I get ribbed sometimes for carrying a suitcase on my bike, but that just goes with the territory.

Gordonm, hope you enjoy the granola bars.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 08:35 PM   #12
Gordonm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Marlton NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse
I get ribbed sometimes for carrying a suitcase on my bike, but that just goes with the territory.

Gordonm, hope you enjoy the granola bars.
My wife calls it my picnic basket! I carry my meter and my cell phone also. Never needed the phone but have used the "emergency kit" many times.
Gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 12:37 PM   #13
slim_77
Senior Member
 
slim_77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chicago,Il
Bikes: yes please
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonm
Thanks for the info on this. I am also a type 1 on the pump. 32 years MDI and 8 months on the pump now. Why did I wait so long. I carry Gu packets for the emergency low but have been trying different mixes for just maintaning. I'll give this a try now. Always looking for better ways to keep a good BS level.
I wonder the same thing myself...
Hey, I think you got your pump a week or so before/after I got mine...how are you enjoying it? I love it...


About the Gu. I dunno...complex carbs are complex carbs. The GI may be different, but they are even more different while working out and as a result I am not sure that the difference at that time (on the bike) really matter. I guess I am saying the BG spike after consuming a gu on the bike will be lower than sitting on the couch. So, do those GI slopes on the bike, for a few hours, matter (rel to A1c) as compared to the the rest of the day/few days after a good long (hard) ride?
slim_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 02:47 PM   #14
Gordonm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Marlton NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_77
I wonder the same thing myself...
Hey, I think you got your pump a week or so before/after I got mine...how are you enjoying it? I love it...


About the Gu. I dunno...complex carbs are complex carbs. The GI may be different, but they are even more different while working out and as a result I am not sure that the difference at that time (on the bike) really matter. I guess I am saying the BG spike after consuming a gu on the bike will be lower than sitting on the couch. So, do those GI slopes on the bike, for a few hours, matter (rel to A1c) as compared to the the rest of the day/few days after a good long (hard) ride?
I got my MM522 on 10/17/06. Loving every minute of it. Why did I wait so long to get one. I'm stubborn I guess. About the Gu packets, I don't worry about the spike. I will only take one if my BS is below 70 and I still have some riding to do. I have checked every 15 minutes after taking one and never went above 100 while riding. I have even taken one towards the end of a ride and the spike never happened and I did not bolus for it. They are not a tremendous amount of carbs and I usually will run low most of the day after a ride so I do not get the spike. Everyone is different but this has worked for me so far.
Gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 03:55 PM   #15
slim_77
Senior Member
 
slim_77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chicago,Il
Bikes: yes please
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Great job with the control! My A1c after the first three months was 6.3 and most recently 6.7 (oops, gotta "strive for 6.5"). That was more due to experimenting with a wider diet (pizza, junk food etc.) and the various delivery features...still not bad though.

I have the Minimed Paradigm--Minimed customer service is excellent, btw. I crashed back in January and cracked the screen on the pump...it still worked mechanically speaking but was not safe to use. I called MM and they had a new pump at my door at 9am the following morning (via FedEx).

I am pleased...
slim_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 04:02 PM   #16
Gordonm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Marlton NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first 2 after the pump have been 6.2. I am also trying new things and expect this one to be a little higher. Maybe not though. I had to replace my pump already. The prime feature went into a closed loop and I could not get out of it. I called and they sent me one next day. I have had no problems with customer service at all. I am looking into getting the CGMS for it but I'm fighting the insurance company right now.

After 32 years of injecting it sure is nice to just pop in a set and go. Much more convient. No more carrying all the supplies every where I go. Just bolus and eat!
Gordonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 07:41 AM   #17
Rosie8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: central AZ Prescott Valley
Bikes: Giant Simple 7
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like Kashi TLC bars - small, 19 g total carbs, 5 g sugars, 7 g protein, fiber 4g, calories 140. They come in various flavors, all tasty.
Rosie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 09:58 AM   #18
slim_77
Senior Member
 
slim_77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chicago,Il
Bikes: yes please
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonm
My first 2 after the pump have been 6.2. I am also trying new things and expect this one to be a little higher. Maybe not though. I had to replace my pump already. The prime feature went into a closed loop and I could not get out of it. I called and they sent me one next day. I have had no problems with customer service at all. I am looking into getting the CGMS for it but I'm fighting the insurance company right now.

After 32 years of injecting it sure is nice to just pop in a set and go. Much more convient. No more carrying all the supplies every where I go. Just bolus and eat!
It sure is...my younger brother (also T1) is jealous. As soon as he is fully employed he will be enjoying the freedoms it offers us.

I have heard that will be quite a battle for the next year or so, as more studies are published and a "measurable" consensus is established...I will be moving in that direction as well but I don't have the time or energy to fight that battle (too many other battles on the battlefield). I will, however, readily enjoy the fruits of your labors though...

good luck!
slim_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.