Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-07, 02:12 PM   #1
Boatman
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aurora, CO
Bikes: Raleigh C40, Trek 1000
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Core training simplification?

My leg strength and cycling endurance have been improving lately, but now I find I'm feeling muscle (?) soreness in the groin and lower back. I think it's time to start core exercising and I have been searching and reading many of the related posts on the T&N Forum. Most of the off site referrals show many exercises for the core and for reasons of time I would like to narrow them down to as few as possible and make them somewhat cycling specific. I'm not trying to get a six pack or become Joe Weider, just something that makes my daily life and cycling an improvement.

Two exercises I've been thinking about are:
1. situps (or crunches or whatever),
2. and the plank.

Would this be enough for adequate core strength improvement or am I leaving out muscle groups that are important? I read the Bicycling.com article on core exercises, but 8 exercises seems like a lot to me.

Thanks!

Boatman
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-07, 08:19 PM   #2
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules
 
Nickel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: A less cold place
Bikes: Giant
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my opinion, some people think that the core is this magical area that needs to be worked more than every other muscle group. Would you do 8 exercises for your quads? I work my core area 2-3x a week with 2-3 different exercise movements, just as much as I do other muscle groups. I don't have one set exercise group as I enjoy trying the plethora of available exercises. I recommend making a list of x number of exercises and picking 2-3 on your workout day.
Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 06:47 AM   #3
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype
 
RiPHRaPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: chicagoland area
Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict
Posts: 2,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
situp's do not work your core efficiently.

the leg lifts are much better for complete stretch and concentrates on the core fully.

situp's can be done with wrong form and can not do what a good leg lift can.
RiPHRaPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 09:04 AM   #4
Terex
Senior Member
 
Terex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jersey - outside the bibs.
Bikes:
Posts: 3,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Understand your point, but personally, I like lots of variation to try to work as many associated muscle groups as possible. You're only as strong as your weakest link.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 09:45 AM   #5
Boatman
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aurora, CO
Bikes: Raleigh C40, Trek 1000
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could you please describe what a leg lift is? Thanks!
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 09:57 AM   #6
mateo44
mateo for short
 
mateo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lay on your back, knees straight, and lift legs up.

That's the simple version, of course. I'm sure there are as many versions as there are colorful personalities around here....
__________________
<< no sig at this time >>
mateo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 10:00 AM   #7
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
over the winter, i did a lot of crunches, back raises, and light-weight squats. i tried a few yoga moves that my GF taught me (i should do more of this) and overall it really helped my cycling.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 11:19 AM   #8
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules
 
Nickel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: A less cold place
Bikes: Giant
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Rect...gHipRaise.html

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/s...hl/%22frog%22/
Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 12:07 PM   #9
tmdesou
www.fattiretour.org
 
tmdesou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: on the road
Bikes: 2007 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2003 TitanFlex Veteran, 2005 Bianchi Axis, 2006 Trek 1500
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Work on strengthening your lower back and groin if those specific muscle groups are feeling sore. Aside from general core and ab work you'll want to throw in some back work as well. For one exercise that will target everything you're concerned about I highly recommend the deadlift - just make sure you do it safely (wikihow).
tmdesou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 04:54 PM   #10
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango
Posts: 3,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6...5681-1,00.html

Of the exercises listed I only do plank and boat pose. Lower back pain can also be a sign of tight hamstrings, you may just need to stretch them a little while riding.
clausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 10:14 PM   #11
ericgu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman
My leg strength and cycling endurance have been improving lately, but now I find I'm feeling muscle (?) soreness in the groin and lower back. I think it's time to start core exercising and I have been searching and reading many of the related posts on the T&N Forum. Most of the off site referrals show many exercises for the core and for reasons of time I would like to narrow them down to as few as possible and make them somewhat cycling specific. I'm not trying to get a six pack or become Joe Weider, just something that makes my daily life and cycling an improvement.

Two exercises I've been thinking about are:
1. situps (or crunches or whatever),
2. and the plank.

Would this be enough for adequate core strength improvement or am I leaving out muscle groups that are important? I read the Bicycling.com article on core exercises, but 8 exercises seems like a lot to me.

Thanks!

Boatman
Cyclo-core is the ticket. A great set of exercises.
__________________
Eric

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com
ericgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 09:35 AM   #12
Boatman
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aurora, CO
Bikes: Raleigh C40, Trek 1000
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausen
http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6...5681-1,00.html

Of the exercises listed I only do plank and boat pose. Lower back pain can also be a sign of tight hamstrings, you may just need to stretch them a little while riding.
Do you do any other exercises or just these?
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 09:36 AM   #13
Boatman
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aurora, CO
Bikes: Raleigh C40, Trek 1000
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgu
Cyclo-core is the ticket. A great set of exercises.
Cyclo-core I've heard is very good, but I'm trying to reduce the abundance of recommended exercises down to two or three (if possible).
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 09:38 AM   #14
Boatman
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aurora, CO
Bikes: Raleigh C40, Trek 1000
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdesou
Work on strengthening your lower back and groin if those specific muscle groups are feeling sore. Aside from general core and ab work you'll want to throw in some back work as well. For one exercise that will target everything you're concerned about I highly recommend the deadlift - just make sure you do it safely (wikihow).
The deadlift looks like it would aggrevate an already strained back. Is there a way to do a variation of it so as to build up to it?
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 10:35 AM   #15
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules
 
Nickel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: A less cold place
Bikes: Giant
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Start off with dumbbells and work your way up to the barbell weight. I found that my hamstrings were much stronger than my lower back and almost injured myself lifting too heavy too soon. Starting off light will help you get the hang of the movement as well as proper form, which is key.
Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 11:22 AM   #16
clausen
Senior Member
 
clausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern Ontario
Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango
Posts: 3,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman
Do you do any other exercises or just these?
On my recovery days. I do yoga for about 45 min. Helps keep the whole body in balance.
clausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.