Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member YATES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How much recovery time is too much?

    Yeah, so i'm in an excersise/cycling frenzy now.
    Last week i rode 7 days straight.
    3 - 25 mile rides
    2 - 30 mile rides
    1 - 45 mile ride
    1 - 50 mile ride (4th of july)

    Since i have gotten serious about cycling about 8 weeks ago, i have dropped from 198 to 184 pounds. that's 15 pounds.

    My teammates figured that i had been going too hard so they told me to take a few days off.
    So i took thursday and friday off. and just did a VERY short, but hilly 12 mile ride, as a warmup for tomorrow.

    My problem is that i've been eating like a pig on the days that i don't ride, and i'm sure i've regained some of my weight.

    So do you guys think i took too much time off?
    Just the right ammount?

    How do yall avoid gaining weight when you take several days off?
    Hard work creates POWER

  2. #2
    Senior Member VanceMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    4,186
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YATES
    i have dropped from 198 to 184 pounds. that's 15 pounds.
    Yes recovery is in order. But seriously, good job on the loss.

  3. #3
    Custom User TItle a_fire_inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YATES
    Since i have gotten serious about cycling about 8 weeks ago, i have dropped from 198 to 184 pounds. that's 15 pounds.
    Just take a day off and make sure you're getting enough sleep.


    Also, 198-184= 14

  4. #4
    Pokes On Spokes JPradun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Pedal Force ZX3
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YATES
    So do you guys think i took too much time off?
    Just the right ammount?

    How do yall avoid gaining weight when you take several days off?
    No.
    We cannot properly answer that. Take as much time as you need to recover.

    Eat less.
    The quest for success: Collegiate Nationals:
    http://iliveonnitro.blogspot.com
    (Updated daily 3/26-4/4-: North Carolina training camp)

  5. #5
    Don't Believe the Hype RiPHRaPH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict
    Posts
    2,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get a HR monitor. Or, when your eyes open in the morning, before your head lifts from the pillow, count your HR using your digital(?) clockradio. If you experience HR creep, then it is time to take it easier.
    I have enough words to get me into trouble, but not enough to get me out of trouble.

  6. #6
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YATES
    How do yall avoid gaining weight when you take several days off?
    Eat less. No way around it. Your caloric intake should be adjusted daily based on how much you exercise that day. Also unless you want to look like those starving super models hit a gym for some weight lifting. Some of the weight you loose is muscle, specially if you exceed 1lb per week.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  7. #7
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One way to not gain weight is to recover the way I do. I never take a day off, but I did miss two days of training in January due to a surgical procedure. I believe in active rest. My day off is a 34 mile spin. I find that my legs recover better from hard training/racing by keeping them moving the next day - not resting them. Having said that, everyone is an experiment of one, and you must find what works best for you. I can't personally imagine a day without at least 2 hours in the saddle.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YATES
    Yeah, so i'm in an excersise/cycling frenzy now.
    Last week i rode 7 days straight.
    3 - 25 mile rides
    2 - 30 mile rides
    1 - 45 mile ride
    1 - 50 mile ride (4th of july)

    Since i have gotten serious about cycling about 8 weeks ago, i have dropped from 198 to 184 pounds. that's 15 pounds.

    My teammates figured that i had been going too hard so they told me to take a few days off.
    So i took thursday and friday off. and just did a VERY short, but hilly 12 mile ride, as a warmup for tomorrow.

    My problem is that i've been eating like a pig on the days that i don't ride, and i'm sure i've regained some of my weight.

    So do you guys think i took too much time off?
    Just the right ammount?

    How do yall avoid gaining weight when you take several days off?
    Remember that when you train, you put stress on your system, and when you take time off, that's when you get better.

    I can't be sure without more information, but given the distances you're riding, a short but hilly 12 mile ride is not a recovery ride. A recovery ride is typically a zone 1 ride without much hill at all, and if there are hills, you need to ride them really slowly. Your goal is to get your blood moving but not introduce any stress on your body.

    What have you done with recovery nutrition? If you do that well (I like Endurox right after a workout), you will be much less hungry.



    A short but hilly 12 mile ride is not a recovery ride.
    Eric

    2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
    199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

    Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
    Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terrace BC canada
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR3, Giant Yukon
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recovery time needed depends on many factors. (Age, diet, type of exercise) IMO, if you're thinking about it, then it's time to cut back. A hard week might feel great but keep it up and an overuse injury is probably not far off.
    Also weight loss - is that fat or muscle fibre? If your diet is supporting the exercise then great, if you are cutting nutrition to cut out calories you'll pay in performance and injury.
    `0^0 ~~~

  10. #10
    grilled cheesus aham23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    8675309
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    Posts
    6,933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we all need rest. you wont gain back the weight by taking two days off a week. as far as eating, you should eat when you are hungry. its really that simple. later.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •