Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-07, 04:43 PM   #1
bfloyd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Bikes: vintage Raleigh
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my wits end . . .

As some of you may remember, I have been dealing with what my doctor diagnosed me with Bi-Lateral Hamstring Tendonitis. This pain is located at the back of, and to the sides the knees. I spent time with a PT and did many stretches and some strength training. This just won't go away no matter what I try and it is getting frustrating to the point that I wonder if I should give up cycling. The thought of not cycling anymore depresses me greatly.

I have tried just about everything I could think of and advice from everyone on the forum. I have kept up on my stretching which led me to be very flexible like I've never been before; still the pain exists. I've been icing after every ride which actually seems to bother it more that it does good. I've resulted to pushing only a vey small gear (42 x 21, very small) and still the pain exists. I have been only riding three days a week and at nothing more that a mild intensity (MHR of approx. 140 and under (my max HR is 187)). I've been to my LBS and purchased a proper fitting, in which I was only slightly off, and still no help. Ibuprophen seems to take the edge off but I don't want to live on those. I've taken a couple of weeks off the bike. By the end of the first week of no riding the pain was gone. I waited another week before getting back on and trying again. The first time back on, and with nothing more than recovery intensity ride, the pain was as just as bad as when I had stopped. I would've thought that at least the pain should have been more mild to show some signs of healing. I've increased my calorie intake in the thought that perhaps I have'nt been eating enough to recover only to find that I've put on a few pounds.

The funny thing is, as I don't know if this is a sign of tendonitis, is that the brushing of clothes at the back of my knees causes pain and discomfort. Like when I wear loose shorts and the bottom ends of the shorts brush up against the back of my knees. Maybe I don't have tendonitis and have some kind of nerve issues or circulation problems?? I don't know.

So you can see why it is becoming frustrating for me and I thank you for taking the time to read this long winded post. If anyone has any insights that I am not seeing, or have been through something similar and can help me out it is greatly appreciated. I don't know where to turn next. Thanks.
bfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 05:49 PM   #2
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I suffered with tendon problems (PF, AT, IBFS) for a long time and rest, stretching and strengthening just didn’t work for me either. After reading up as much as I could for the reason that I had so many tendon problems I discovered that it could be to high oxidative stress and/or lack of vitamins required for collagen synthesis.

I started taking 400IU of vitamin E daily on top of a multivitamin and 250mg vitamin C and I swear it works wonders. I normally wouldn’t recommend orthomolecular therapy, as it’s usually hoaky stuff. But do some searches on oxidative damage to tendons and you may be convinced.

http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Antiox...ioxidants.html

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...lammatory.html

I will never stop taking my 400IU of vitamin E. Heck after the last time I posted this (in one of your threads actually) I got a few personal messages weeks later from people telling me it worked for them as well.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 05:57 AM   #3
bfloyd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Bikes: vintage Raleigh
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I suffered with tendon problems (PF, AT, IBFS) for a long time and rest, stretching and strengthening just didnít work for me either. After reading up as much as I could for the reason that I had so many tendon problems I discovered that it could be to high oxidative stress and/or lack of vitamins required for collagen synthesis.

I started taking 400IU of vitamin E daily on top of a multivitamin and 250mg vitamin C and I swear it works wonders. I normally wouldnít recommend orthomolecular therapy, as itís usually hoaky stuff. But do some searches on oxidative damage to tendons and you may be convinced.

http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Antiox...ioxidants.html

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...lammatory.html

I will never stop taking my 400IU of vitamin E. Heck after the last time I posted this (in one of your threads actually) I got a few personal messages weeks later from people telling me it worked for them as well.
Thanks for the links. I have to try them. One thing though, forgive my lack of knowledge but what's an IU? Thanks again.
bfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 08:48 AM   #4
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
International unit, a dosage based on activity.

Try the vitamin C and E; the small dosages I take are safe and cheap. Even if it does nothing for your tendonitis the stuff has other health benefits as well.

When buying vitamin E look for natural source extracts such that you don’t get a mix of D and L isomers (L is inactive). Furthermore, the natural E is a mix of tocopherols not just alpha tocopherol like the synthetic stuff. When buying vitamin C get a brand that includes bioflavonoids. I just buy mine at the supermarket, but you have to check labels.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 02:51 PM   #5
bfloyd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Bikes: vintage Raleigh
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
International unit, a dosage based on activity.

Try the vitamin C and E; the small dosages I take are safe and cheap. Even if it does nothing for your tendonitis the stuff has other health benefits as well.

When buying vitamin E look for natural source extracts such that you donít get a mix of D and L isomers (L is inactive). Furthermore, the natural E is a mix of tocopherols not just alpha tocopherol like the synthetic stuff. When buying vitamin C get a brand that includes bioflavonoids. I just buy mine at the supermarket, but you have to check labels.
Thanks for the tips. How long did it take for you to notice an improvement after starting them?
bfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 03:04 PM   #6
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd
Thanks for the tips. How long did it take for you to notice an improvement after starting them?
Not long at all, within a week or so I had considerable improvement. It was drastic enough that I knew it was from what I had just started. Sure it could have been coincidental spontaneous remission but I highly doubt it considering I went from a string of these problems to essentially none coming up on two years now.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 09:34 PM   #7
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Bikes: a bunch
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd
...
The funny thing is, as I don't know if this is a sign of tendonitis, is that the brushing of clothes at the back of my knees causes pain and discomfort. Like when I wear loose shorts and the bottom ends of the shorts brush up against the back of my knees. Maybe I don't have tendonitis and have some kind of nerve issues or circulation problems?? I don't know.
I think you're considerations are intelligent questions. The idea of surface enervation just from light brushing of the skin might indicate more than just tendonitis, or the tendonitis might have gone far enough to now cause additional issues. In any case it'd be worth investigating that further. And maybe with another doctor, if the current one isn;t paying attention to these symptoms.
Don;t get discouraged, just keep asking the questions to get at the root of it.
If it is related to some nerve issues/damage, then it can take a while to have some healing start. But better to have a handle on it than to feel you're going through it blind.
Anyway, Questioning everything is a good approach.
Wishing you great luck in getting it all sorted.
Keep us filled in on what comes of it all - it'd be real interesting to read what you find out and hopefully eventually do get healed...
cyclezen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-07, 04:37 PM   #8
bfloyd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Bikes: vintage Raleigh
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezen
I think you're considerations are intelligent questions. The idea of surface enervation just from light brushing of the skin might indicate more than just tendonitis, or the tendonitis might have gone far enough to now cause additional issues. In any case it'd be worth investigating that further. And maybe with another doctor, if the current one isn;t paying attention to these symptoms.
Don;t get discouraged, just keep asking the questions to get at the root of it.
If it is related to some nerve issues/damage, then it can take a while to have some healing start. But better to have a handle on it than to feel you're going through it blind.
Anyway, Questioning everything is a good approach.
Wishing you great luck in getting it all sorted.
Keep us filled in on what comes of it all - it'd be real interesting to read what you find out and hopefully eventually do get healed...
Thanks for the inspiring words! I did make another appt. with a sports medicine doctor to get another opinion. I requested the first Dr. I seen to do an MRI and see of anything showed up, but she was convinced that it was just a simple case of tendonitis and prescribed PT and rest. Sure the pain stopped after a couple of weeks of no riding but then the very first ride back on the bike was painful. When I went back to her after the PT and told her that the pain is still there, she prescribed more rest and stretching to see if that helped. I hope the new doctor does more examinating. Plus, I'm also hoping that the vitamins E and C helps as well.
bfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 PM.