Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-07, 07:44 AM   #1
deanp
On the big ring
Thread Starter
 
deanp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lenexa, Ks
Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Weight Loss Goal Met, New Target Set

Last May I started riding again after many years away from the sport. My weight and physical condition were not going in the right directions. I was just over 300 hundred pounds and in my mid-forties. When I started riding again I was like many people who have posted similar stories here, gasping for air to struggle through a 5 mile ride. It was my hope to get back down to 250 pounds, which today I accomplished. I've ridden just over 1400 miles so far this year, with hopefully many more to come. I was to able to get my blood pressure back under control and my doctor took me off my medication for that. My cholesterol is looking good and I might be able to stop taking that medication soon also. It hasn't been completely easy, but also it hasn't been that hard. Like a million other people have said, get some exercise and eat moderately and it is amazing what will happen. For anyone else struggling through the first few months of a similar goal I offer you very simple advice, ride. Ride as often as you can and go as far as your conditioning will take you. Try to go to the next corner, or climb the hill a little faster, you will likely surprise yourself.

I was surprised how much of me there still is after losing over fifty pounds, so the journey continues. My new goal is 225, which I haven't seen in twenty years.

I would also like to thank the BikeForums community for all the advice, tips, encourgement and shared stories that I have found here.

Dean Porter
deanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 07:45 AM   #2
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excellent job!
I just love setting goals and meeting them.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 08:12 AM   #3
mateo44
mateo for short
 
mateo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great work, Dean!

Just stick with the program, slow and steady, no matter what.
__________________
<< no sig at this time >>
mateo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 09:01 AM   #4
deanp
On the big ring
Thread Starter
 
deanp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lenexa, Ks
Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your encouragement.
deanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 09:11 AM   #5
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I completely agree with your Ride suggestion....


1400 miles is great as well....congrads and good luck on the 25 more pounds to come....
biffstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 07:10 PM   #6
Jarery
Senior Member
 
Jarery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Coquitlam
Bikes:
Posts: 2,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanp
Like a million other people have said, get some exercise and eat moderately and it is amazing what will happen. For anyone else struggling through the first few months of a similar goal I offer you very simple advice, ride. Ride as often as you can and go as far as your conditioning will take you. Try to go to the next corner, or climb the hill a little faster, you will likely surprise yourself.
Every diet and weight loss book can be boiled down to just that
Gratz on meeting your goals, and you have an appropriate avatar
Jarery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 08:33 PM   #7
deanp
On the big ring
Thread Starter
 
deanp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lenexa, Ks
Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I appreciate the support. The avatar is a little joke with my six year old daughter, for a while I had her believing that I was him. However I still look more like the character when he was working for the insurance company.
deanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 08:35 PM   #8
mtnbk3000
Senior Member
 
mtnbk3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Excellent job!
I just love setting goals and meeting them.
if you don't have any goals you don't feel bad when you don't accomplish them! just kidding great job, the eating moderatly part is whats tough for me
mtnbk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 10:27 PM   #9
ericgu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanp
Last May I started riding again after many years away from the sport. My weight and physical condition were not going in the right directions. I was just over 300 hundred pounds and in my mid-forties. When I started riding again I was like many people who have posted similar stories here, gasping for air to struggle through a 5 mile ride. It was my hope to get back down to 250 pounds, which today I accomplished. I've ridden just over 1400 miles so far this year, with hopefully many more to come. I was to able to get my blood pressure back under control and my doctor took me off my medication for that. My cholesterol is looking good and I might be able to stop taking that medication soon also. It hasn't been completely easy, but also it hasn't been that hard. Like a million other people have said, get some exercise and eat moderately and it is amazing what will happen. For anyone else struggling through the first few months of a similar goal I offer you very simple advice, ride. Ride as often as you can and go as far as your conditioning will take you. Try to go to the next corner, or climb the hill a little faster, you will likely surprise yourself.

I was surprised how much of me there still is after losing over fifty pounds, so the journey continues. My new goal is 225, which I haven't seen in twenty years.

I would also like to thank the BikeForums community for all the advice, tips, encourgement and shared stories that I have found here.

Dean Porter
Dean,

That's really cool news. Not only did you lose 50 pounds, but you lost it in a healthy way where you are very likely to keep it off.

Good luck on your new goal.
__________________
Eric

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com
ericgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 05:26 AM   #10
kuan
Twincities MN
 
kuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well done! Riding is such a mellow fat burning sport (for some of us) I love riding.
kuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 07:05 AM   #11
twobikes
Healthy and active
 
twobikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Caldwell, Idaho USA
Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good job, but do not be discouraged if the rate of your loss slows as you get closer to your 225 goal or a new goal after that. The closer you get to your ideal weight, the more slowly you lose. But, just keep at it. Any progress is better than no progress.
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 07:36 AM   #12
deanp
On the big ring
Thread Starter
 
deanp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lenexa, Ks
Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes
Good job, but do not be discouraged if the rate of your loss slows as you get closer to your 225 goal or a new goal after that. The closer you get to your ideal weight, the more slowly you lose. But, just keep at it. Any progress is better than no progress.
This already happened. I was weighing 259 in Novemeber, and it took until now to finish off those next 10 pounds. I kept riding during the winter so I wouldn't rebound, and it worked. I maintained that weight until the spring when I could increase my miles, and the heat helps too. I will need to examine my diet a little more closley now to make the next goal. It has to be a lifestyle that I can maintain and enjoy.
deanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 06:04 PM   #13
SSP
Software for Cyclists
 
SSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redding, California
Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Posts: 4,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loser!!

And I say that with the utmost respect.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 06:15 AM   #14
troutbreath
Senior Member
 
troutbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Dash, North Carolina
Bikes: Trek 4300, Cannondale Synapse 6
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great story! Congratulations on your accomplishment (and more to come)!
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 02:57 PM   #15
kemfizix
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Outstanding, congratz! like people said, that it slow no matter how long it takes, you don't want to get bored with your exercises.
kemfizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 07:39 PM   #16
kenseth03
Senior Member
 
kenseth03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Glen Allen Va.
Bikes:
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From a guy who is struggling to do what you have done I extend a very deserving congratulations to you. Good luck on your next goal. You can do it!!!
kenseth03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 AM.