Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Parker, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Rc4AL w/Record
    Posts
    3,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    not sore == not going hard enough?

    I'm slowly dragging myself into Training, as opposed to just going out riding. Bought Bike Racing 101, and one of the workouts in it is called the Push Ride: ride at recovery up to endurance effort at 70-80 rpm. The book mentions this is a tiring ride. Ok, cool. I did that ride yesterday, and yeah, riding around in the Big Gear was tiring, but I'm not exactly sore today. Should I be?

  2. #2
    Banned. Turboem1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soreness is not a good indication of whether you received a good workout or not. If you did the workout and were exhausted during it then you are fine. Just because you are not sore is not a cause for concern thinking you didnt go hard enough.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superdex View Post
    I'm slowly dragging myself into Training, as opposed to just going out riding. Bought Bike Racing 101, and one of the workouts in it is called the Push Ride: ride at recovery up to endurance effort at 70-80 rpm. The book mentions this is a tiring ride. Ok, cool. I did that ride yesterday, and yeah, riding around in the Big Gear was tiring, but I'm not exactly sore today. Should I be?
    I agree with turbo.

    First of all, if you have good recovery nutrition, you shouldn't get all that sore on training rides.

    Second, the training you describe sounds like an aerobic/tempo training regimen, and that doesn't have a real muscle strength component to it - it's more about endurance...
    Eric

    2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
    199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

    Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
    Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, once you're in halfway decent shape, the only way you're gonna be sore the next day is by doing super-endurance rides like 200miles+ or by doing high-intensity anaerobic strength workouts like sprints & intervals where you hit max-HR repeatedly.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My Bikes
    1978 Schwinn Paramount racer, 1974 Schwinn Paramount racer, 1973 Schwinn tourer, 15+ Schwinn Stingrays from the 70s, 1989 Klein Quantum roadie, 1985 Falcon Race roadie, 1999 K2 MTB
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a year of intense working out and training, I only get sore if I exercise a new muscle group. I can pound away on any muscle group that I have been training and while I will get muscle fatigue, it will not be sore the next day.

  6. #6
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,189
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes not being sore is a very good thing ... it means you've got the bicycle set up properly.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Spencer, IN
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
    Yeah, once you're in halfway decent shape, the only way you're gonna be sore the next day is by doing super-endurance rides like 200miles+ or by doing high-intensity anaerobic strength workouts like sprints & intervals where you hit max-HR repeatedly.
    Danno, I know that you are an authority in sports nutrition, so I'm not challenging you on this... but I would like to pick your brain for more info if you don't mind.

    Is what you said above (in quotes) really true for everyone that is in shape? I consider myself to be in good condition, and I'm sore the day after all training rides, even when they're not that intense. Sometimes the soreness lingers several days. We have a lot of hills around here, and that might be part of the reason. Another reason may be that I'm not in as good shape as I thought I was.

    I have noticed that, compared to my riding buddies, it takes me significantly longer to recover.

    FYI - I average 225-miles per week. I do about two intense rides per week, the rest of my mileage is commuting or long, slower rides. I am 6'0, 167-lbs, with a "sprinter" type build (lots of fast-twitch leg musculature). I do long distance riding and some racing.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    vintage Raleigh
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_deaner View Post
    Danno, I know that you are an authority in sports nutrition, so I'm not challenging you on this... but I would like to pick your brain for more info if you don't mind.

    Is what you said above (in quotes) really true for everyone that is in shape? I consider myself to be in good condition, and I'm sore the day after all training rides, even when they're not that intense. Sometimes the soreness lingers several days. We have a lot of hills around here, and that might be part of the reason. Another reason may be that I'm not in as good shape as I thought I was.

    I have noticed that, compared to my riding buddies, it takes me significantly longer to recover.

    FYI - I average 225-miles per week. I do about two intense rides per week, the rest of my mileage is commuting or long, slower rides. I am 6'0, 167-lbs, with a "sprinter" type build (lots of fast-twitch leg musculature). I do long distance riding and some racing.
    Everyone recovers differently as all bodies are different. It takes me several days to fully recover too from harder rides and yes, the hills can have alot to do with it (I live in a very hilly area too). I do one hard intensity day a week (a 40 min. hill repeat of standing sprints) and that one day is a brutal ride. I would like to add in another one but due to my shcedule and my body (as it is aging) can only take the one hard day. The rest are medium to light intensity and it allows me to recover for the next weeks hard day again. I also find that I improve faster with the one hard day a week. I'm sure Danno will add more of his knowledge on this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •