Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: last meal

  1. #1
    this one's optimistic... feethanddooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    central new jersey
    My Bikes
    cannondale r400 2006 kona smoke 2005 scott cr1 team
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    last meal

    been reading about when you should cut off eating for the day. different sources say 7pm or 8pm but they dont list how long after 7 or 8pm you go to sleep. is there a certain amount of time you should try and be done eating before you go to sleep? i vary between 11pm to 12am for bedtime.
    2002 cannondale r400, 2006 kona smoke, 2005 scott speedster s30

  2. #2
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feethanddooth View Post
    been reading about when you should cut off eating for the day. different sources say 7pm or 8pm but they dont list how long after 7 or 8pm you go to sleep. is there a certain amount of time you should try and be done eating before you go to sleep? i vary between 11pm to 12am for bedtime.
    Never really saw a good explanation on why you should stop eating x hours before bed.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  3. #3
    this one's optimistic... feethanddooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    central new jersey
    My Bikes
    cannondale r400 2006 kona smoke 2005 scott cr1 team
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
    Never really saw a good explanation on why you should stop eating x hours before bed.
    couple articles say it allows your body to burn fat reserves overnight instead of the food in your tummy. something along those lines
    2002 cannondale r400, 2006 kona smoke, 2005 scott speedster s30

  4. #4
    Senior Member dingodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    My Bikes
    05 Allez Comp Cr-Mo Double
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I don't eat soon before I go to bed, then I wake up hungry and have to raid the fridge in the middle of the night. I think having a good night's sleep is more important than worrying about what to eat when.

  5. #5
    Killing Rabbits
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,682
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calories in, calories out dictates almost everything when it comes to weight loss. However, I do support minimizing insulin secretion in the evening. So if you want to have an evening snack to improve sleep it's fine but try not to eat simple carbohydrates right before bed. "No white at night" is a easy way to remember it. No white sugar, bread, rice, pasta, etc but small amount of whole grains are fine. Even better is a little lean protein to help rebuild your muscles while you sleep.

  6. #6
    Senior Member dingodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    My Bikes
    05 Allez Comp Cr-Mo Double
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with that. Besides being better for you, whole grains and protein are much more satisfying and last so much longer. Hate that white bread.

  7. #7
    this one's optimistic... feethanddooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    central new jersey
    My Bikes
    cannondale r400 2006 kona smoke 2005 scott cr1 team
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so its ok if i eat a box of ice pops, port wine cheese on water crackers, and then peanuts?
    2002 cannondale r400, 2006 kona smoke, 2005 scott speedster s30

  8. #8
    Disgruntled Planner bpohl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Downtown Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    Hybrid-Trek 7500 FX, Road- Trek 2300
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
    Calories in, calories out dictates almost everything when it comes to weight loss. However, I do support minimizing insulin secretion in the evening. So if you want to have an evening snack to improve sleep it's fine but try not to eat simple carbohydrates right before bed. "No white at night" is a easy way to remember it. No white sugar, bread, rice, pasta, etc but small amount of whole grains are fine. Even better is a little lean protein to help rebuild your muscles while you sleep.
    Well, *****, since I've been training so much, I've been waking up in the middle of the night and eating huge bowls of spaghetti and a piece of baguette.
    Don't waste your breath to save your face when you have done your best.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Garfield Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Posts
    5,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on age. An older person like me, gets all kinds of ailments. Acid reflux, indigestion, high blood pressure, high cholesterol...on and on.

    Not only do I have to watch what I eat, but if I eat the wrong things, it might give me acid reflux. I notice that when I eat an early dinner, it helps. I guess the food digests and won't tend to come up when sleeping. I won't drink coffee after dinner because it keeps me awake. I might take some fruit for dessert. Gone are the days when I have a big piece of chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Cheesecake is way too rich for me.

  10. #10
    Ninja don't wear flipflop king-tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NE TN
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships
    Posts
    1,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand the rule is 3 hours and the reason is that digestion screws with HGH release which decreases your recovery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •