Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    newbie teacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    lemond poprad 2006, old tomassa road bike
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What kind of tires do I need for a trainer?

    I have a cyclocross bike that is my commuter. I am planning on getting new tires for it.... I also plan to use it on a trainer.

    My preference is to get tires that are good for commuting that I can also use on a trainer. Would something like the schwalbe marathon plus work on a trainer or is there too much tread on that?

    Or do I need two sets of tires?
    All suggestions are appreciated!

  2. #2
    don't try this at home. rm -rf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,759
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Michelin Krylions worked OK. Previously, I had an MTB on the trainer with mountain bike slicks, and the rubber would melt and stick to the roller. But the Michelin road bike tires at 110 or 120 psi haven't had any abnormal wear. The Michelins are smooth, no tread at all.

  3. #3
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    you need smooth. I also wouldn't want to use a nice tire on a trainer.
    If you have an old wheel, get the cheapest tire (like Walmart or a $10 tire from a bike shop) and put it on. You might call around looking for an old rear wheel you could buy or borrow for the winter.

    Then use it for the trainer, and switch when you ride.

  4. #4
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,905
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride my Conti 1000s inside and outside.

  5. #5
    newbie teacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    lemond poprad 2006, old tomassa road bike
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    Hi,
    you need smooth. I also wouldn't want to use a nice tire on a trainer.
    If you have an old wheel, get the cheapest tire (like Walmart or a $10 tire from a bike shop) and put it on. You might call around looking for an old rear wheel you could buy or borrow for the winter.

    Then use it for the trainer, and switch when you ride.
    I have an old road bike can I use that rear tire?
    (My cyclocross has 20 gears, my road bike only 14)

  6. #6
    One Hep Cat Joe Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    N 44.91577 W093.25327
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the cheapest, lousiest, smoothest tires you can because the trainer will wreck them. I am using my Specialized "Mondo" tires that came stock on my Allez for trainer duty and they are just fine in that setting.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Port Jefferson, NY
    Posts
    469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teacher View Post
    I have an old road bike can I use that rear tire?
    (My cyclocross has 20 gears, my road bike only 14)
    If you mean just dropping the roadie's wheels onto your cyclocross bike, the answer is no. You won't be able to get a 10-speed chain onto a 7-speed cassette. So unless you pull the tire off the wheel and put it onto your cyclocross bike's wheels and swap tires back and forth you won't be able to do what you're looking to do.

    Honestly, if you have an old road bike, unless the fit is terrible or something, you might as well use the road bike on the trainer, and keep your cyclocross bike for outdoors only. Less hassle switching wheels, you can just leave the road bike locked into the trainer. You can get the same workout on your trainer just by choosing the right gearing and changing the resistance on the trainer, regardless of the bike quality.

  8. #8
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,905
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dog View Post
    Get the cheapest, lousiest, smoothest tires you can because the trainer will wreck them.

    I have never had a trainer wreck my tires, nor have I ever figured out how one would. It's no different than riding on pavement. If anything a trainer is easier on tires than pavement is.

  9. #9
    newbie teacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    lemond poprad 2006, old tomassa road bike
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crast View Post
    If you mean just dropping the roadie's wheels onto your cyclocross bike, the answer is no. You won't be able to get a 10-speed chain onto a 7-speed cassette. So unless you pull the tire off the wheel and put it onto your cyclocross bike's wheels and swap tires back and forth you won't be able to do what you're looking to do.
    That's what I thought, thanks!

  10. #10
    One Hep Cat Joe Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    N 44.91577 W093.25327
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    I have never had a trainer wreck my tires, nor have I ever figured out how one would. It's no different than riding on pavement. If anything a trainer is easier on tires than pavement is.
    I agree - a trainer should be easier on a tire than pavement, but that's not been my experience. Maybe the difference is that you are running better tires than I am? I get a flat, shiny strip down the center of the tire where it contacts the roller. My drum is supposedly not pressing too hard on the tire (per the manual). I have seen this kind of wear on several different tires but I have not tried using better quality tires on the trainer because I was afraid to put them on after seeing the wear from a winter on the machine.

  11. #11
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,905
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dog View Post
    I agree - a trainer should be easier on a tire than pavement, but that's not been my experience. Maybe the difference is that you are running better tires than I am? I get a flat, shiny strip down the center of the tire where it contacts the roller. My drum is supposedly not pressing too hard on the tire (per the manual). I have seen this kind of wear on several different tires but I have not tried using better quality tires on the trainer because I was afraid to put them on after seeing the wear from a winter on the machine.
    I ride fairly heavy duty tires (the Conti 1000s). I get a bit of that shiny strip down the middle, but that doesn't mean my tires are damaged. I've had the same tires on my trainer bicycle for 3 winters in a row, and they are still fine.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    733
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Michellin Dynamics.
    Smooth center
    Very cheap
    Old school formula for long-life and flat protection: thick rubber
    Ride comfortably
    Not as slow as they are cheap

  13. #13
    Corrosive Attitude rusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maynard, MA
    My Bikes
    2007 LeMond Alpe D'Huez
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell, the only way your tires could get wrecked on a trainer is if

    1) the tire slips against the roller

    and

    2) the roller is not smooth

    When on my trainer, I keep my rear tire under inflated a bit to be sure I have good contact with the roller and I rarely, if ever, cause the rear wheel to slip.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have an older spare rear wheel, Continental makes a dedicated trainer tire called the Continental Ultra Sport Hometrainer LINK. Claims quieter, lasts longer. I`d use up old tires first, however.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the conti hometrainer tire and it also gets the shiny strip which slips eventually
    the tires need to be cleaned with a scrubber sponge, any dust will cause the shiny strip

    if using regular tires, the harder the tire the longer it will last

  16. #16
    Member otep12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nutley, NJ
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    I ride fairly heavy duty tires (the Conti 1000s). I get a bit of that shiny strip down the middle, but that doesn't mean my tires are damaged. I've had the same tires on my trainer bicycle for 3 winters in a row, and they are still fine.
    Do you also use this tires outside or just solely for indoor training?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •