Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ACK! The last few lbs are pissing me off

    So, a few years ago i got pretty fat


    ...buahahahahahah

    lets look at that again...


    BUAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

    Ok, right...So i started eating a little better and riding more, lost 30lbs...



    I was teenie though, as i didn't lift much if at all.

    So this year i did both, but i can't get rid of this last few lbs around my belly. Just looking for some suggestions, i'm open to most anything outside of afedra...

    (i suppose the picture of me drinking bear and eating a big sandwich doesn't look good, but that's not typical...)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,926
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to point out that the pic of the beer and bread and losing weight was pretty deceptive!

    well, I dont know if this is for you but it does work. If you follow the south beach diet for a while, you can lose up to 10 pounds in your belly area first in the first two weeks.

    but they dont allow beers and sandwich the first two weeks

    I didn't do it, but a lot of friends did and it does work and rather quickly, of course you cant just go back to eating junk and keep the weight off.

    if you cant think of a diet, then exercise and concentrate on that area, but of course you allready knew that.

  3. #3
    silent, but deadly coolidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    a quiet spot
    My Bikes
    something vintage, probably.
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ride your bike more and drink less beer.

  4. #4
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forget about the lbs and the beer ... what about the babe?
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  5. #5
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spingineer View Post
    forget about the lbs and the beer ... what about the babe?
    Just your average sorority girl...no thanks.

  6. #6
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timmy: Here's a simple truth that may or may not work for you.

    When you started to lose weight, your body required a minimum amount of calories to maintain itself throughout the day, all dependent on your body weight.

    As you lost weight, the amount of calories you required daily went down. Also, as you got skinnier, the amount of calories you burned during exercise went down, as it took less wattage to move your skinny ass.

    What you need to do is determine your Resting Metabolic Rate NOW (after all the weight loss), then create a diet plan that cuts those calories. You'll feel like you're eating nothing at all...But that's what it'll take to lose those last couple of pounds.

    ...it's, by far, the hardest weight to lose.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,926
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat View Post
    Timmy: Here's a simple truth that may or may not work for you.

    When you started to lose weight, your body required a minimum amount of calories to maintain itself throughout the day, all dependent on your body weight.

    As you lost weight, the amount of calories you required daily went down. Also, as you got skinnier, the amount of calories you burned during exercise went down, as it took less wattage to move your skinny ass.

    What you need to do is determine your Resting Metabolic Rate NOW (after all the weight loss), then create a diet plan that cuts those calories. You'll feel like you're eating nothing at all...But that's what it'll take to lose those last couple of pounds.

    ...it's, by far, the hardest weight to lose.
    ^^^ great info right there!!

  8. #8
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat View Post
    Timmy: Here's a simple truth that may or may not work for you.

    When you started to lose weight, your body required a minimum amount of calories to maintain itself throughout the day, all dependent on your body weight.

    As you lost weight, the amount of calories you required daily went down. Also, as you got skinnier, the amount of calories you burned during exercise went down, as it took less wattage to move your skinny ass.

    What you need to do is determine your Resting Metabolic Rate NOW (after all the weight loss), then create a diet plan that cuts those calories. You'll feel like you're eating nothing at all...But that's what it'll take to lose those last couple of pounds.

    ...it's, by far, the hardest weight to lose.
    Yeah, i guess i kind of realized that, and my diet has changed a lot recently but perhaps not enough. How the hell does one go about finding their RMR

  9. #9
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps...also, a mental trick is to stop telling yourself that you lost 30 pounds. Start telling yourself that you haven't lost any weight at all.

    Reminding yourself that you've lost 30 lbs already gives you an excuse to be complacent.


    /knows from own experience....Lost 40, gained 10, and kept telling 'self that "Hey, I've lost 30 lbs, that's pretty good, right?" Ignoring the fact I gained 10 lbs in about 2 months. Time to get back to work!

  10. #10
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

    This is a pretty good calculator.

  11. #11
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's one tip to lose a few grams - trim the sideburns.

    just sayin'

  12. #12
    Hazardous Taerom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Quarantine
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eat less, exercise more. Works for me. I've lost about 20 pounds since last winter, just eating less junk food (fat) (though I still eat a ton of carbs), and running/bikng more.

  13. #13
    ****** squegeeboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Specalized Tri-Cross
    Posts
    875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sprinting is supposed to be good for the tummy.
    In the words of Einstein
    "And now I think I'll take a bath"

  14. #14
    Hazardous Taerom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Quarantine
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    That sandwich looks good. Ham and cheese?

  15. #15
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last thing, then I'll shut up.

    Sometimes weight loss is purely mathematical.

    1lb of Fat is approx. 3500 calories.

    If your RMR is (guessing) 2000 calories/day burned just living, breathing, doing daily activities...and you eat 2000 calories per day, you will maintain your weight forever.

    If get on the bike or jog or something for an hour each day, you can lose between 500 and 700 calories an hour. After a week, you should have burned about 3500 calories more than you ate, and should lose 1 lb.

    If you're able to drop your caloric intake to 1500 calories/day, you can lose weight without working out...but as you lose weight, your RMR gets lower as well.

    Don't forget that the Gu's, Clif Bars, and Gatorades all have calories...even though you're taking them on the bike, doesn't mean you don't add them to your caloric intake for the day. Two bottles of Gatorade and a couple of Gu's can absolutely negate the weight-loss benefit of a workout. If you want to lose weight while working out, stick with water or zero-calorie drinks.

  16. #16
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat View Post
    One last thing, then I'll shut up.

    Sometimes weight loss is purely mathematical.

    1lb of Fat is approx. 3500 calories.

    If your RMR is (guessing) 2000 calories/day burned just living, breathing, doing daily activities...and you eat 2000 calories per day, you will maintain your weight forever.

    If get on the bike or jog or something for an hour each day, you can lose between 500 and 700 calories an hour. After a week, you should have burned about 3500 calories more than you ate, and should lose 1 lb.

    If you're able to drop your caloric intake to 1500 calories/day, you can lose weight without working out...but as you lose weight, your RMR gets lower as well.


    Don't forget that the Gu's, Clif Bars, and Gatorades all have calories...even though you're taking them on the bike, doesn't mean you don't add them to your caloric intake for the day. Two bottles of Gatorade and a couple of Gu's can absolutely negate the weight-loss benefit of a workout. If you want to lose weight while working out, stick with water or zero-calorie drinks.
    outstanding point.

    most people overeat when they ride, and unless you're doing a century, or a race over 2.5 hours, i don't see the point in sports drinks.

  17. #17
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat View Post
    If get on the bike or jog or something for an hour each day, you can lose between 500 and 700 calories an hour. After a week, you should have burned about 3500 calories more than you ate, and should lose 1 lb.
    The problem is the weight i'm losing, i have no desire to burn muscle. When i lost all that weight i only lost about 3% of BF according to the (likely inaccurate) scale i have.

  18. #18
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    The problem is the weight i'm losing, i have no desire to burn muscle. When i lost all that weight i only lost about 3% of BF according to the (likely inaccurate) scale i have.
    looks at your face/jowls. your scale is definitely off.

  19. #19
    Nothing here to see!!!!!! flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I started the diet again to day, I said I would give it a week after vaction.

  20. #20
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    The problem is the weight i'm losing, i have no desire to burn muscle. When i lost all that weight i only lost about 3% of BF according to the (likely inaccurate) scale i have.
    Burning muscle isn't a reality when fat is available to burn. BF scales are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to sports-specific athletes (ie: cyclists, swimmers, marathoners, etc.) I've never trusted them. I trust my wife pinching my love handles and if I'm embarassed by them or not.

  21. #21
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    here's one tip to lose a few grams - trim the sideburns.

    just sayin'
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  22. #22
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat View Post
    Burning muscle isn't a reality when fat is available to burn. BF scales are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to sports-specific athletes (ie: cyclists, swimmers, marathoners, etc.) I've never trusted them. I trust my wife pinching my love handles and if I'm embarassed by them or not.
    You sure about this?

    Most my cycling is anaerobic, 160+ bbm. My understanding was that in this case carbs/sugars are burned first and when that runs out...your muscles start going

  23. #23
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    looks at your face/jowls. your scale is definitely off.
    I know, and my gut is certainly smaller...my scale claims i'm 20% BF...i weigh about 170

  24. #24
    Scum, Freezebag! Mo'Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    My Bikes
    2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
    Posts
    4,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyquest View Post
    You sure about this?

    Most my cycling is anaerobic, 160+ bbm. My understanding was that in this case carbs/sugars are burned first and when that runs out...your muscles start going
    There's not a switch in your body that is labelled 'Burn Fat' and 'Burn Muscle'. Your body will do whatever is necessary to maintain and be prepared for anything.

    I suppose I misspoke above, and it is possible (with a very limited calorie diet) to start burning muscle and keep remaining energy stores in your body (fat) for general survival. You will never reach 0% body fat. Your body will always keep a reserve, just in case.

    As you get skinnier, you can't maintain the caloric deficit you could when you were bigger...which is why it takes almost as long to lose those last 5 lbs as it did to lose the first 30.



    ____


    Also, keep in mind that, as you get skinnier, your body will adapt it's musculature for it's requirements. When you're bigger (hauling around 40 extra pounds all day), certain muscles grew to accommodate that load. As the load is lifted off those muscles, their bulk will most likely reduce as well.

  25. #25
    Banned. timmyquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    5,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo'Phat View Post
    There's not a switch in your body that is labelled 'Burn Fat' and 'Burn Muscle'. Your body will do whatever is necessary to maintain and be prepared for anything.

    I suppose I misspoke above, and it is possible (with a very limited calorie diet) to start burning muscle and keep remaining energy stores in your body (fat) for general survival. You will never reach 0% body fat. Your body will always keep a reserve, just in case.

    As you get skinnier, you can't maintain the caloric deficit you could when you were bigger...which is why it takes almost as long to lose those last 5 lbs as it did to lose the first 30.
    3 months?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •