Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-07, 09:24 PM   #1
geneman
rider of small bicycles
Thread Starter
 
geneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rochester, New York
Bikes: Cannondale
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hydration woes ...

Typical week ...

1. Monday / Rest day ... 1.5 liters water excluding food
2. Tuesday / Hard training race ... 1.5 liters water excluding food, 2+ bottles HEED during race, another 1 liter after race, race lasts no more than 2 hours.
3. Wednesday / Endurance ... 1.5 liters water during work, 1 bottle/hour water or HEED during training
4. Thursday / Rest day ... 1.5 liters water excluding food
5. Friday / Easy spin ... 1.5 liters water excluding food, 1 bottle/hour water or HEED during training
6. Saturday / Hard training ride (4 hours) ... 0.5 liters before ride, attempt to drink during the ride, but usually have to pee so badly after one hour in that I stop drinking. Find a pisser after the ride and then proceed to play catch up with my hydration for the rest of the day which results in having to pee quite frequently.
7. Sunday / suffer through all of the symptoms of a hangover due to dehydration, feel like crap most of the day, suck down as much water as possible. Maybe go for a ride, most likely not.

I don't do diuretics (coffee or other caffinated foods/beverages).
I'm tired of feeling like crap on Sundays. I think the solution may be to taper the water going into Sat, but this runs counter to logic if I'm crashing at the end of the ride on Sat. Perhaps the net gain is greater when I can drink more on Sat as a result of drinking less on Friday. Thoughts?

Mark
geneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 10:40 PM   #2
LIUser22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stop riding the bike in your avatar and you'll be fine
LIUser22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 08:37 AM   #3
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe your problem isn't hydration.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 08:53 AM   #4
geneman
rider of small bicycles
Thread Starter
 
geneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rochester, New York
Bikes: Cannondale
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supcom View Post
Maybe your problem isn't hydration.
salt intake? Please elaborate
geneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 10:09 AM   #5
kuan
Twincities MN
 
kuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe.

http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx/arch...ing-salty.aspx
__________________
www.marrow.org
kuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 11:54 AM   #6
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman View Post
salt intake? Please elaborate
Maybe you're just tired. Fatigue from effort, lack of sleep, too much sleep? I don't know. Lots of things can make you feel unwell. But you make this big post detailing all the fluid you drink then assume that you are dehydrated simply because you don't feel so well. Since you are paying so much attention to fluid intake, chances are you are drinking plenty.

If you're peeing a lot, then you are unlikely to be significantly dehydrated, right? Is your pee pale in color? If so, then you aren't dehydrated. If not, then you need to drink more fluid. Simple.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 12:13 PM   #7
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman View Post
T
6. Saturday / Hard training ride (4 hours) ... 0.5 liters before ride, attempt to drink during the ride, but usually have to pee so badly after one hour in that I stop drinking. Find a pisser after the ride and then proceed to play catch up with my hydration for the rest of the day which results in having to pee quite frequently.

Mark
It's not a race, a potty break at the two hour mark might be a good idea. I bet the whole group is simultaneously thinking "Man I gotta take a major piss! Too bad nobody else does..."
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 01:48 PM   #8
geneman
rider of small bicycles
Thread Starter
 
geneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rochester, New York
Bikes: Cannondale
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supcom View Post
Maybe you're just tired. Fatigue from effort, lack of sleep, too much sleep? I don't know. Lots of things can make you feel unwell. But you make this big post detailing all the fluid you drink then assume that you are dehydrated simply because you don't feel so well. Since you are paying so much attention to fluid intake, chances are you are drinking plenty.

If you're peeing a lot, then you are unlikely to be significantly dehydrated, right? Is your pee pale in color? If so, then you aren't dehydrated. If not, then you need to drink more fluid. Simple.
Just because you pee a lot does not mean you're hydrated. It can also mean your rate of fluid intake is exceeding your body's ability to use it. You can only hydrate so quickly, everything else gets sent on its way.

I know I'm dehydrated because of the way I wake in the morning. My voice is hoarse and my throat is dry, my lips are cracked, and I've got a pounding headache. As soon as I down that first big glass of water, the hoarse voice goes away and I usually feel a lot better. It's pretty obvious.

I'm gonna have to follow up on that salt link. Thanks for the info.

And as far as the Sat ride goes ... if you stop, you get dropped. It's just the way it is and it doesn't bother me one bit, other than the fact that I hate getting dropped and riding the loop by myself.

Mark
geneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 11:16 PM   #9
Talon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Bikes: Scott CR1 SL, Giant TCR-C0, Fisher Sugar, old Cannondale, Lemond Tourmalet
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Thanks for the link, kuan. I'm going to keep the bacobits, hot sauce, and green olives in my post-ride diet.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 12:03 PM   #10
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman View Post
Just because you pee a lot does not mean you're hydrated. It can also mean your rate of fluid intake is exceeding your body's ability to use it. You can only hydrate so quickly, everything else gets sent on its way.

I know I'm dehydrated because of the way I wake in the morning. My voice is hoarse and my throat is dry, my lips are cracked, and I've got a pounding headache. As soon as I down that first big glass of water, the hoarse voice goes away and I usually feel a lot better. It's pretty obvious.

I'm gonna have to follow up on that salt link. Thanks for the info.

And as far as the Sat ride goes ... if you stop, you get dropped. It's just the way it is and it doesn't bother me one bit, other than the fact that I hate getting dropped and riding the loop by myself.

Mark
Dry mouth, lips, throat in the morning is a sign of mouth breathing during sleep caused by nasal congestion. If your lips are cracked due to dehydration, you are probably near death.

Good luck to you.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 09:40 PM   #11
ericgu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman View Post
Typical week ...

1. Monday / Rest day ... 1.5 liters water excluding food
2. Tuesday / Hard training race ... 1.5 liters water excluding food, 2+ bottles HEED during race, another 1 liter after race, race lasts no more than 2 hours.
3. Wednesday / Endurance ... 1.5 liters water during work, 1 bottle/hour water or HEED during training
4. Thursday / Rest day ... 1.5 liters water excluding food
5. Friday / Easy spin ... 1.5 liters water excluding food, 1 bottle/hour water or HEED during training
6. Saturday / Hard training ride (4 hours) ... 0.5 liters before ride, attempt to drink during the ride, but usually have to pee so badly after one hour in that I stop drinking. Find a pisser after the ride and then proceed to play catch up with my hydration for the rest of the day which results in having to pee quite frequently.
7. Sunday / suffer through all of the symptoms of a hangover due to dehydration, feel like crap most of the day, suck down as much water as possible. Maybe go for a ride, most likely not.

I don't do diuretics (coffee or other caffinated foods/beverages).
I'm tired of feeling like crap on Sundays. I think the solution may be to taper the water going into Sat, but this runs counter to logic if I'm crashing at the end of the ride on Sat. Perhaps the net gain is greater when I can drink more on Sat as a result of drinking less on Friday. Thoughts?

Mark
A few

I don't think you are down on sodium. If you were, you wouldn't have to pee so much, as you lose a little sodium with your urine, and your body tries to avoid that if sodium is scarce. You can check that by weighing yourself before and after - if you gain weight and you don't have to pee, it means you're down on sodium.

My guess is that you are just taking in far too much plain water. That will tend to run through you in a way that electrolyte-balanced (and carb) drinks don't.

Suggestions?

Well, if you are having to pee early in a ride, you're drinking too much ahead of time. Stop doing that.

Also note that the hammer stuff is pretty low on electrolytes, so if that is an issue with you, you may need to supplement.
__________________
Eric

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com
ericgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 10:32 PM   #12
geneman
rider of small bicycles
Thread Starter
 
geneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rochester, New York
Bikes: Cannondale
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgu View Post
A few

I don't think you are down on sodium. If you were, you wouldn't have to pee so much, as you lose a little sodium with your urine, and your body tries to avoid that if sodium is scarce. You can check that by weighing yourself before and after - if you gain weight and you don't have to pee, it means you're down on sodium.

My guess is that you are just taking in far too much plain water. That will tend to run through you in a way that electrolyte-balanced (and carb) drinks don't.

Suggestions?

Well, if you are having to pee early in a ride, you're drinking too much ahead of time. Stop doing that.

Also note that the hammer stuff is pretty low on electrolytes, so if that is an issue with you, you may need to supplement.

For the record, every morning I have a nice big glass of water with my vitimin and baby aspirin whether I'm riding or not. I go to bed fairly well hydrated, but I'm surprised that that one glass puts me over the top with regard to needing to pee soon after the ride starts.

I think you might be right with regard to too much plain water. I basically sip plain water all day. I'd be amenable to trying a low-calorie, higher salt fluid to replace it (during rides too). Gotta be low cal though. I'll do some digging for solutions.

Mark
geneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.