Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-08, 07:57 AM   #1
feethanddooth
this one's optimistic...
Thread Starter
 
feethanddooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: central new jersey
Bikes: cannondale r400 2006 kona smoke 2005 scott cr1 team
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
keeping track of your calories eaten and ice cream cake

ive been using fitday.com (link) and do alot of looking up nutritional content online if i eat something not normally in my diet. last night for a post bday celebration i had ice cream cake with family/friends after dinner. HOLY CRAP! dairy queen oreo ice cream cake has almost 800 calories in 1 slice of a cake!!! with 150% sat fat and 1.5 grms trans fat!

so much for eating that for the rest of my life. im glad i rode yesterday. looks like ill be riding today too. and buying a food scale.






(done with my venting)
feethanddooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:18 AM   #2
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feethanddooth View Post
ive been using fitday.com (link) and do alot of looking up nutritional content online if i eat something not normally in my diet. last night for a post bday celebration i had ice cream cake with family/friends after dinner. HOLY CRAP! dairy queen oreo ice cream cake has almost 800 calories in 1 slice of a cake!!! with 150% sat fat and 1.5 grms trans fat!

so much for eating that for the rest of my life. im glad i rode yesterday. looks like ill be riding today too.
and buying a food scale.






(done with my venting)
The food scale is a big help, especially when you're making something from a fairly complex recipe, like a chili or curry. Just weigh all the ingredients, and then weigh the final product and figure out how many calories per gram there are.

As for the ice cream cake...yeah, it's bad It's not like that should come as a surprise, I mean heck, a packet of Pop Tarts is 410 calories.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 03:59 PM   #3
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It has Ice Cream and Cake in it's name, no surprise there.
+1 on food scale. My room mate looks funny at me because I use mine all the time. I am on my way to six pack she is on her way to obese, so I don't care about the looks.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:15 PM   #4
benjamin_s
Junior Member
 
benjamin_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could a few of your point me to a good resource for how to use a food scale? Not how to you know... put food on the scale, but which foods contain 3 cals per gram and how you would add up more complex dishes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by benjamin_s; 01-20-08 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Sorry for the thread jack! I thought that this was a better place to ask than starting a new thread.
benjamin_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:30 PM   #5
Holyspokes
Goat
 
Holyspokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Collins
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
carbs / protein -4 calories per gram
fat - 9 calories per gram
Holyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:53 PM   #6
feethanddooth
this one's optimistic...
Thread Starter
 
feethanddooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: central new jersey
Bikes: cannondale r400 2006 kona smoke 2005 scott cr1 team
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyspokes View Post
carbs / protein -4 calories per gram
fat - 9 calories per gram
run that by me again?
feethanddooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:56 PM   #7
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_s View Post
Could a few of your point me to a good resource for how to use a food scale? Not how to you know... put food on the scale, but which foods contain 3 cals per gram and how you would add up more complex dishes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nutrition labels usually have calories per serving - and the weight in grams of said serving. Failing that, use www.fitday.com or www.calorieking.com
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 02:44 PM   #8
benjamin_s
Junior Member
 
benjamin_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Nutrition labels usually have calories per serving - and the weight in grams of said serving. Failing that, use www.fitday.com or www.calorieking.com
Thank you for the response, for some reason I thought that this would be a little more complicated.

On a side note 2 ounces of pasta isn't quite what i expected it to be

Sorry to the OP for the thread jack! At least you had cake.
benjamin_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 02:57 PM   #9
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_s View Post
Thank you for the response, for some reason I thought that this would be a little more complicated.

On a side note 2 ounces of pasta isn't quite what i expected it to be

Sorry to the OP for the thread jack! At least you had cake.
Yeah... once you start looking at the nutrition labels and actually weighting stuff it comes as a quite a surprise how many calories you are actually consuming.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 08:33 AM   #10
feethanddooth
this one's optimistic...
Thread Starter
 
feethanddooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: central new jersey
Bikes: cannondale r400 2006 kona smoke 2005 scott cr1 team
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ive been using fitday for a while and even got their software. (let me know if youre interested, i can maybe send you a copy). after getting a food scale this last week and using the fitday software i actually have lost my goal of just under 2 lbs! with my riding plan and the calorie restriction it turns out that eating some icecream cake was ok!
feethanddooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 04:11 PM   #11
sfcrossrider
Senior Member
 
sfcrossrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Francisco
Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...
Posts: 2,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
It has Ice Cream and Cake in it's name, no surprise there.
+1 on food scale. My room mate looks funny at me because I use mine all the time. I am on my way to six pack she is on her way to obese, so I don't care about the looks.
Word.

When some tool gives me crap about my diet, I just lift up my shirt and flex my abs. It sounds silly, but they shut up REAL quick.

(edit) fitday is AWESOME!!! I can't thank you enough for posting it.

Last edited by sfcrossrider; 01-27-08 at 04:26 PM.
sfcrossrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 04:16 PM   #12
Doctor Who
Lotion/Basket/Hose
 
Doctor Who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll never turn away some ice cream, but you better believe I'll tack on another 10 miles to my next ride.

But anyway, the biggest help I've found to dieting, is to keep a set of measuring cups/spoons around. I measure most of my meals, not only to help with portion control, but also to give me a better idea of what I'm putting in my body. At 6' and 157 lbs., I'm right at where I want to be, but I definitely don't want to get any heavier than that – I've worked too hard to get to where I am. I look at food labels all the time and I definitely have a good idea of how many calories are in every single meal I eat, and whether it's a bowl of ice cream or a green salad, I find room for it in my daily diet.

However, one thing that's really heartbreaking is to see how much a 1/2 cup of granola is, and how many calories that 1/2 cup contains.
Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.