Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Drunk on wheels
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe, HI
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized allez elite triple (for sale), 2005 gary fisher tassjara
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    help me out here folks

    so this is my basic weekly exercise routine.

    monday: 1 mile run, 100 situps/100 pushups
    tuesday: ride 20 miles
    wednesday: ride 20 miles
    thursday: ride 20 miles
    friday: ride 20 miles
    saturday: rest
    sunday: group ride, between 25-35 miles

    few notes:
    on top of that I do 50 pushups and 50 situps every morning as soon as I wake up.
    I ride at an average speed of 17-15.5 mph the 20 mile rides are on the flat ground near my house and the group ride is fairly hilly

    What I'm trying to figure out is just a ballpark figure of how many calories I'm burning per week. I'm 5 foot 10 inches and I weight 194lbs and I'd like to get down to around 175 lbs. any help is much appreciated.

    any help is much appreciated,

  2. #2
    Goat Holyspokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.fitday.com/

    Easiest and most efficent way is to use something like that..


    remember that diet is just as important as the exercise your doing. Not just calories, but what kind, and where your getting them from.
    Don't Worry

    Be Happy

  3. #3
    Drunk on wheels
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe, HI
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized allez elite triple (for sale), 2005 gary fisher tassjara
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyspokes View Post
    http://www.fitday.com/

    Easiest and most efficent way is to use something like that..


    remember that diet is just as important as the exercise your doing. Not just calories, but what kind, and where your getting them from.
    thanks, and yeah I'm being careful about what i eat, more fruits and veggies, no deep fried food, less red meat no pro, more fish, been eating a lot of organic lately

  4. #4
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    19,672
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eat less! That's really the only way most people can lose weight.

    OTOH, you're only a little overweight. How come you want to be lighter?


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  5. #5
    Drunk on wheels
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe, HI
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized allez elite triple (for sale), 2005 gary fisher tassjara
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get rid of the annoying and embarrassing belly fat and as the people I ride with tell me building the muscle as well as shaving off the fat makes riding up the hills much easier. but maybe I'm misled

  6. #6
    \m/ Blade-Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    My Bikes
    Got a few
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd up your daily rides to two hours a day, don't worry about miles traveled.

    FYI: The only problem with only doing 50 pushups & situps everyday is, you're only going to get 50 pushups & situps strong. Try doing as many as you can vs. a set number.

    Track number of calories you take in, the number of calories you burn each day and make sure you're burn more than you take in.
    13' Venge Pro Force, 13' Crux Elite, 13' Raleigh Furley, 12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem & 11' Epic Expert Carbon Evo R 29er

  7. #7
    Drunk on wheels
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe, HI
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized allez elite triple (for sale), 2005 gary fisher tassjara
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good, now that the days are getting longer I can actually get in 2 hours of riding. I'm getting one of those fitday accounts setup to track my food intake and calories I burn

  8. #8
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    19,672
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly808 View Post
    get rid of the annoying and embarrassing belly fat and as the people I ride with tell me building the muscle as well as shaving off the fat makes riding up the hills much easier. but maybe I'm misled
    Improving appearance is a popular reason to lose weight.

    As for climbing hills, I think losing weight will definitely help there, but more muscles will probably not help. Muscles are heavy, and they need to be dragged up the hill just like fat does. Most great hill climbers are skinny little runts with arms like toothpicks.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  9. #9
    Drunk on wheels
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe, HI
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized allez elite triple (for sale), 2005 gary fisher tassjara
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Improving appearance is a popular reason to lose weight.

    As for climbing hills, I think losing weight will definitely help there, but more muscles will probably not help. Muscles are heavy, and they need to be dragged up the hill just like fat does. Most great hill climbers are skinny little runts with arms like toothpicks.
    so it's a mater of conditioning to help with the hills? I understand that muscle is heavy so at a certain point your weight levels off because of building muscle, and I doubt I'll ever be scrawny armed I'm a competitive sailor so my arms get a pretty good workout working the lines on the racing sailboats
    Last edited by rockabilly808; 01-27-08 at 09:13 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    My Bikes
    2008 fetish illustre
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly808 View Post
    so it's a mater of conditioning to help with the hills? I understand that muscle is heavy so at a certain point your weight levels off because of building muscle, and I doubt I'll ever be scrawny armed I'm a competitive sailor so my arms get a pretty good workout working the lines on the racing sailboats
    Yup, it's mostly conditioning. Trust me, if you become very serious at cycling and spend a lot of time on the bike, you will see upper body stength diminish unless you lift lots of weights. I was quite surprised at how puny my arms/chest/back have gotten over the past year or so. My LEGS on the other hand...

    As the old saying goes... if you want to be a good climber, climb lots of hills. There's just no substitute.

  11. #11
    Drunk on wheels
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe, HI
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized allez elite triple (for sale), 2005 gary fisher tassjara
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palesaint View Post
    Yup, it's mostly conditioning. Trust me, if you become very serious at cycling and spend a lot of time on the bike, you will see upper body stength diminish unless you lift lots of weights. I was quite surprised at how puny my arms/chest/back have gotten over the past year or so. My LEGS on the other hand...

    As the old saying goes... if you want to be a good climber, climb lots of hills. There's just no substitute.
    guess I'll have to work to keep from getting twiggy in the upper body

  12. #12
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    36,688
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count on about 500 calories per hour when you ride.

    What's the 1 mile run for?

  13. #13
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    19,672
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly808 View Post
    guess I'll have to work to keep from getting twiggy in the upper body
    That'll be easy: Simple weight routine, one set with low reps and heavy weights. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes twice a week. You can do it at home with dumbbells if you don't want to go to a gym. Your goal is to maintain or increase upper body strength (for sailing) without bulking up too much (for riding in the hills). You won't be the strongest sailor in the fleet, or the best climber in the peloton, but you'll be good at both.

    I bet you're still going to have to eat a little less to take that belly off. I would try not to lose more than one pound a week, or your cycling and sailing might suffer.

    This is up my alley because it's what I've been working on myself for the last 6 years. The key is to figure out exactly what you want to accomplish, then use your knowledge and common sense to figure out what you need to do to get there.
    Last edited by Roody; 01-27-08 at 10:41 PM.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  14. #14
    Drunk on wheels
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe, HI
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized allez elite triple (for sale), 2005 gary fisher tassjara
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Count on about 500 calories per hour when you ride.

    What's the 1 mile run for?
    doing it with a friend who's pretty obese, didn't wanna start exercising alone, his goal is to do a 5k race by years end, he's on a very strict diet and at this point actually it's more like 1 mile power walk/jog than run, you know what they say, it's often harder to get yourself to the start-line than the finish line.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When using fitday, remember to add in 8 hours of sleep (or whatever you get) or else it sets your base calorie expenditure count too high, as if your awake and active for 24 hours.
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cranford, NJ
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that I have learned is that taking weekends off can set you back quite a few days. Even if you don't realize it, you can really mess things up just by going off your diet or eating healthy habits for just one day. I have done it before. I took one weekend off and gained back the 3 pounds that I had lost that week. I would suggest maybe doing something light on the day you take off, even if it's just walking.

    But thats just me. Good luck with losing your weight and improving your fitness, I'm trying to get rid of my un-sexy belly too. Almost gone!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Jarery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimfordan View Post
    O I took one weekend off and gained back the 3 pounds that I had lost that week.
    That means you ate around 7500 calories a day, assuming a base expenditure of 2k a day. WTF did you eat for 2 days, ice cream and cake?

    You do know that most people have weight fluctuations of about 5 lbs a week due to hydration, etc?
    Last edited by Jarery; 02-05-08 at 08:43 PM.
    Jarery

    -If you cant see it from space, its not a real hill
    -If two bikes are going in the same direction, ITS A RACE!

  18. #18
    SSP
    SSP is offline
    Software for Cyclists SSP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Redding, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Posts
    4,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly808 View Post
    so this is my basic weekly exercise routine.

    monday: 1 mile run, 100 situps/100 pushups
    tuesday: ride 20 miles
    wednesday: ride 20 miles
    thursday: ride 20 miles
    friday: ride 20 miles
    saturday: rest
    sunday: group ride, between 25-35 miles

    few notes:
    on top of that I do 50 pushups and 50 situps every morning as soon as I wake up.
    I ride at an average speed of 17-15.5 mph the 20 mile rides are on the flat ground near my house and the group ride is fairly hilly

    What I'm trying to figure out is just a ballpark figure of how many calories I'm burning per week. I'm 5 foot 10 inches and I weight 194lbs and I'd like to get down to around 175 lbs. any help is much appreciated.

    any help is much appreciated,
    The rule of thumb for cycling is 40 calories per mile. For running, about 120 calories per mile. Figure 75 calories for your pushups/situps.

    So, 4400 calories for your 110 miles of cycling + 120 calories for running + 75 calories for other = about 4600 calories per week.

    Not bad for "Calories Burned". But, you'll still need to be careful with "Calories In". It's really easy to subvert a good exercise program with one or two "bad" days each week, or high calorie "rewards" whenever you exercise.

    I can't tell you how many times I've heard cyclists whine, "I ride my bike 200 miles per week, but can't lose a pound!". Nobody is immune to the laws of physics, so watch your diet and best of luck.

    BTW - you'll be a MUCH stronger cyclist at 175 (or, 165) than 194 lbs.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •