Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-14, 01:22 PM   #51
Wiggle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2008 Trek 7100
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Univega View Post
Two words:

HEAVY Squats
Experienced weightlifter here: There is a balance here though. If you do powerlifting style training (ie alot of heavy single, doubles and triples) you actually won't build much leg size. Instead you will end up with very dense legs. This has happened to me, I've weight trained for years and focus on strength and heavy sets. This makes you strong and very dense (I've had people comment on this, saying I felt different than I looked). If you want bigger, plumper looking muscles you'd want to do a lot of weight training in the mid to upper rep range (8-15 reps per set). Again, there is no black and white here, just my own experience.
Wiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 04:00 PM   #52
Univega
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggle View Post
Experienced weightlifter here: There is a balance here though. If you do powerlifting style training (ie alot of heavy single, doubles and triples) you actually won't build much leg size. Instead you will end up with very dense legs. This has happened to me, I've weight trained for years and focus on strength and heavy sets. This makes you strong and very dense (I've had people comment on this, saying I felt different than I looked). If you want bigger, plumper looking muscles you'd want to do a lot of weight training in the mid to upper rep range (8-15 reps per set). Again, there is no black and white here, just my own experience.
I have to laugh as I posted that in 2008. But I have to agree with everything Wiggle said.
Univega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 05:26 AM   #53
Wiggle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2008 Trek 7100
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprince View Post
Many are simply ignorant about weight training in general. It comes with a whole host of myths; women will get overly muscular, cyclists will get too big, bodybuilders and power lifters all use steroids, etc. I wouldn't go so far as to generalize all those people as lazy. But then there is a arguable correlation between ignorance and laziness in that it's easy to repeat false assertions about something that you have no experience with.
People who use steroids, in my experience, are the least lazy of all weightlifters. These are generally the people who want to train at a rate faster than their bodies can currently recover from and already have sound nutrition and workout plans. Not all of them certainly, but most of them in my experience. In comparison, I don't or want to use steroids. I have no objection to them, I just taking weightlifting more casually. I'm stronger than 75% of men in the gym (bench, deadlift, squat total is about 800 currently) and 90% in the general population and I'm not too worried about closing that final gap.
Wiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 05:31 AM   #54
Wiggle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2008 Trek 7100
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Univega View Post
I have to laugh as I posted that in 2008. But I have to agree with everything Wiggle said.
Haha well it's something I believed for a while too. But then noticed that all the really strong guys were the guys who looked pretty normal but did alot of powerlifting stuff and the huge swole guys are usually not as strong as they look due to more focus on higher reps.
Wiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 06:06 AM   #55
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After three years my legs are bigger than I want. I can exceed the tolerance of my tendons so its fairly pointless. Big myscles I can't fully utilize.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 07:10 AM   #56
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggle View Post
People who use steroids, in my experience, are the least lazy of all weightlifters. These are generally the people who want to train at a rate faster than their bodies can currently recover from and already have sound nutrition and workout plans. Not all of them certainly, but most of them in my experience. In comparison, I don't or want to use steroids. I have no objection to them, I just taking weightlifting more casually. I'm stronger than 75% of men in the gym (bench, deadlift, squat total is about 800 currently) and 90% in the general population and I'm not too worried about closing that final gap.
I agree that people who use are typically working a lot harder than the natural guys.

Most people in the gym don't even bother with squats and deadlifts sadly. I think they're the foundation for being strong.
bmontgomery87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 07:11 AM   #57
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
After three years my legs are bigger than I want. I can exceed the tolerance of my tendons so its fairly pointless. Big myscles I can't fully utilize.
Unless you're squatting 1000 pounds, I don't think you're exceeding the tolerance of your tendons......
I don't know any people who are incredibly strong yet their tendons are holding them back unless they've been injured in the past.
bmontgomery87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 09:29 AM   #58
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 11,660
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
I once asked a guy at our gym who was doing calf raises with 1000 lbs. why he used to much weight. He said, "Gotta stimulate 'em." So true.
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 11:13 AM   #59
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87 View Post
Unless you're squatting 1000 pounds, I don't think you're exceeding the tolerance of your tendons......
I don't know any people who are incredibly strong yet their tendons are holding them back unless they've been injured in the past.
Tell that to my knees and ankles if I try to power up a hill. I can, but I pay for it big time.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 11:18 AM   #60
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
Tell that to my knees and ankles if I try to power up a hill. I can, but I pay for it big time.
I can see that. But I wouldn't really refer to pedaling up a hill, and getting sore knees, as having strong legs that you can't use.
That's typically not maximal strength I'd say it's more strength endurance.
bmontgomery87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 01:15 PM   #61
Spld cyclist 
Senior Member
 
Spld cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
Tell that to my knees and ankles if I try to power up a hill. I can, but I pay for it big time.
Specifically how do your knees hurt? Do you have a diagnosed condition?

I have chronic patellar tendonitis in my knees. (It's currently dormant and I can generally do what I want to without pain, but certain things can trigger its return). I've found that cranking at high power and low cadence too much aggravates this condition. However, increasing muscular stength seems to protect against this happening, both in my personal experience and what I have heard/read. Strengthening my legs through squats and other exercises, as prescribed by my PT, was a key part of recovery. I also did, and continue to do, a lot of quad and hamstring stretches. Based on this experience, I don't think having strong muscles causes tendon pain. It can be caused by having tight muscles, or biomechanical issues.
Spld cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 03:34 PM   #62
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes
Posts: 4,288
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprince View Post
Many are simply ignorant about weight training in general. It comes with a whole host of myths; women will get overly muscular, cyclists will get too big
Cyclist and triathletes do so much endurance and cardio that it's almost impossible to pack on a lot of mass and get too big, no matter how much weights they lift. Strength training is very beneficial and I think everybody should be doing it. No need to be scared of lifting weights.
wolfchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-14, 04:10 PM   #63
NutriLogic 
NutriLogic.net
 
NutriLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried a HIIT style of training before for leg strength? Didn't see that mentioned in this thread yet..
__________________
NutriLogic.net - 888-634-9997
BikeForum Exclusive Discounts
NutriLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 06:34 AM   #64
krobinson103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist View Post
Specifically how do your knees hurt? Do you have a diagnosed condition?

I have chronic patellar tendonitis in my knees. (It's currently dormant and I can generally do what I want to without pain, but certain things can trigger its return). I've found that cranking at high power and low cadence too much aggravates this condition. However, increasing muscular stength seems to protect against this happening, both in my personal experience and what I have heard/read. Strengthening my legs through squats and other exercises, as prescribed by my PT, was a key part of recovery. I also did, and continue to do, a lot of quad and hamstring stretches. Based on this experience, I don't think having strong muscles causes tendon pain. It can be caused by having tight muscles, or biomechanical issues.
Usually a dull ache leading a sharp pain centraluzed on the top ofvthe knee cap. Ankles simlly refuse to function after really being pushed. As an collapsing.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 08:49 AM   #65
Spld cyclist 
Senior Member
 
Spld cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It couldn't hurt to do some regular stretching for the knee pain. I didn't mention it before, but I did have some pain in the quadriceps tendon as well, but more in the patellar tendon. I was instructed to do a session of 3 x (30 sec quad stretch + 30 sec hamstring stretch) multiple times per day when I was having regular pain. Now I do it once or twice a day unless I'm feeling some pain (unusual) or my muscles just feel really tight. I have no experience with ankles, but if it's really tendon pain then stretching calves/shins might help.
Spld cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 12:03 PM   #66
NutriLogic 
NutriLogic.net
 
NutriLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist View Post
It couldn't hurt to do some regular stretching for the knee pain. I didn't mention it before, but I did have some pain in the quadriceps tendon as well, but more in the patellar tendon. I was instructed to do a session of 3 x (30 sec quad stretch + 30 sec hamstring stretch) multiple times per day when I was having regular pain. Now I do it once or twice a day unless I'm feeling some pain (unusual) or my muscles just feel really tight. I have no experience with ankles, but if it's really tendon pain then stretching calves/shins might help.

Foam roll!! I can't stress that enough. It's so painful, but it's a 'hurts so good' type of pain.
__________________
NutriLogic.net - 888-634-9997
BikeForum Exclusive Discounts
NutriLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 05:40 AM   #67
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+1 on foam rolling
I only do it when I feel that I need it. If my quads, hip flexors, or IT band get overly tight and sore, it translates into knee pain.
bmontgomery87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 08:57 AM   #68
Wiggle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2008 Trek 7100
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I foam roll for my hip flexors and it's quite effective at that. The key is to fully relax on the roller, don't fight it. It hurts but will breakdown all kinds of problem areas.
Wiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 11:16 AM   #69
hermanchauw
Senior Member
 
hermanchauw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Peugeot Metro, Omitaya Sogno 111
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Null66 View Post
SQUATS AND MILK!

An old school lifters true-ism. It's amazing what this can do. Heavy a$$ squats and a gallon of milk a day... You put on mass.

But add dead lifts anyway.
Plus 1.

Check out Starting Strength for a program.
hermanchauw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.