Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    My Bikes
    Felt F75, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Training Volume Question

    Is it better to have 4 or so large mileage days or 6 medium mileage days, assuming the same total mileage for the week either way?

    I ask because I've been doing the 4 day a week thing because my schedule has been crazy this week and I was wondering if the extra miles and rest would help build a base faster, or at least in fewer total riding days.

    Is my logic on track? Does it depend? If so, what does it depend on?

    James

  2. #2
    Dan J chinarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Iron Mountain, MI
    My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Posts
    1,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonjj View Post
    Is it better to have 4 or so large mileage days or 6 medium mileage days, assuming the same total mileage for the week either way?

    I ask because I've been doing the 4 day a week thing because my schedule has been crazy this week and I was wondering if the extra miles and rest would help build a base faster, or at least in fewer total riding days.

    Is my logic on track? Does it depend? If so, what does it depend on?

    James
    Depends on your goals and in general where you are in your fitness/training, but all other things being equal I'd vote for the 4.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

    “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

  3. #3
    Pokes On Spokes JPradun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Pedal Force ZX3
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is long and how long is medium?
    The quest for success: Collegiate Nationals:
    http://iliveonnitro.blogspot.com
    (Updated daily 3/26-4/4-: North Carolina training camp)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it all depends on intensity of the rides and the speed your body can recover at. it may be worth you mmonitoringyour waking heart rate?

    take a look at the following article on heart rate monitor training. there is a good section near the bottom on overtraining / waking heart rates:

    http://cycling.dingdangdo.com/traini...r_training.php

  5. #5
    pedo viejo
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola
    Posts
    538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In years past I tried to do 5-6 days per week, based on schedules I found in some books. My long rides were ~50 miles on the weekend. When I tried to ramp up for a century, I found myself lacking energy by the time of the event. It may have been overtraining.

    This year I've backed off to a 4-day training week. I've found it much easier to do an 80-mile ride for my long ride. Even my "short" interval days are on the order of 20 miles. I feel stronger and I feel like I'm always motivated.

    I'm sure some of it is personal and some of it is age. But there may be a benefit to fewer but longer days on the bike.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    My Bikes
    Felt F75, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palookabutt View Post
    In years past I tried to do 5-6 days per week, based on schedules I found in some books. My long rides were ~50 miles on the weekend. When I tried to ramp up for a century, I found myself lacking energy by the time of the event. It may have been overtraining.

    This year I've backed off to a 4-day training week. I've found it much easier to do an 80-mile ride for my long ride. Even my "short" interval days are on the order of 20 miles. I feel stronger and I feel like I'm always motivated.

    I'm sure some of it is personal and some of it is age. But there may be a benefit to fewer but longer days on the bike.
    This was kind of my thought. I figured that the extra rest time would help with motivation as well as overtraining, plus having the added benefit of longer rides. I was doing 1-1.5 hours on weekdays and 2-3 on weekends, but have switched to 2 hours on weekdays and 3-4 hours on weekends, keeping the training time about the same.

  7. #7
    Pleasurable Pain greyghost_6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Rada, Voodoo Wazoo, Smith & Wesson Tactical,
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for stamina, do the shorter 6 days a week. But if you are looking for speed perhaps do the 4 longer maybe faster days instead.
    I had to re-learn how to walk once, but never needed to re-learn how to ride a bike. Cyclist for life.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    My Bikes
    Felt F75, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greyghost_6 View Post
    If you are looking for stamina, do the shorter 6 days a week. But if you are looking for speed perhaps do the 4 longer maybe faster days instead.
    Why? If i want stamina/endurance wouldn't it make more sense to do the long rides?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonjj View Post
    Is it better to have 4 or so large mileage days or 6 medium mileage days, assuming the same total mileage for the week either way?

    I ask because I've been doing the 4 day a week thing because my schedule has been crazy this week and I was wondering if the extra miles and rest would help build a base faster, or at least in fewer total riding days.

    Is my logic on track? Does it depend? If so, what does it depend on?

    James
    4 intense days with goo recovery is much better
    Eric

    2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
    199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

    Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
    Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •