Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    wonderer, wanderer gonesh9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    portland, or
    My Bikes
    surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Endorphins, or cannibinoids?

    Study: Marijuana High linked to Runners High.

    It seems the common theory that "runner's high" is due to increased endorphin levels may not be entirely true. Scientists in Georgia and California discovered high levels of anandamide in people who ran or cycled at a moderate or intense pace for about an hour. Anandamide is a cannibinoid- the same as THC, the psychoactive substance found in marijuana. What is interesting is that it is believed that the body releases cannibinoids to help it cope with the prolonged stress and pain of moderate or intense exercise. It seems that the medical advantages of THC and other cannibinoids are being consistently proven in the medical field. Of course, if one has the strength to exercise at an intense level, it would surely be the healthiest and most natural way to help relieve pain and stress.

  2. #2
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gonesh9
    Study: Marijuana High linked to Runners High.

    It seems the common theory that "runner's high" is due to increased endorphin levels may not be entirely true. Scientists in Georgia and California discovered high levels of anandamide in people who ran or cycled at a moderate or intense pace for about an hour. Anandamide is a cannibinoid- the same as THC, the psychoactive substance found in marijuana. What is interesting is that it is believed that the body releases cannibinoids to help it cope with the prolonged stress and pain of moderate or intense exercise. It seems that the medical advantages of THC and other cannibinoids are being consistently proven in the medical field. Of course, if one has the strength to exercise at an intense level, it would surely be the healthiest and most natural way to help relieve pain and stress.
    Save you fingers next time, gonesh9. This thread will be deleted as soon as the mods see it because of the THC content.

    Good stuff, though!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is no such thing as a runners high. I am a runner. running hurts. That "runner's high" comes after your intense run, and you go, "whew! I'm done with that"

    the other type, where you are exercising and enjoying yourself comes from it being nice out and being relaxed. I have never felt good running on a bad day. inclement weather runs always go terribly.

  4. #4
    Forum Admin lotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    n.w. superdrome
    My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Posts
    17,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bac
    Save you fingers next time, gonesh9. This thread will be deleted as soon as the mods see it because of the THC content.

    Good stuff, though!
    I don't think so.

    Marty
    Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Runners' high? After the run only? I believe you feel it during running as well. We were doing the 200m repetitions and sometimes after some recovery, I just feel so great I embrace the sky. Whatever it is, I love running just as I do cycling. Now is my time, I'm going to do something about everything!!

  6. #6
    Guest
    Guest
    I fail to see how endorphins, which are a natural stimulant can even be compared to marijuana, which is a depressant (for the most part). Somehow, I think a bunch of potheads sponsored that study....

    Koffee

  7. #7
    I couldn't car less. jeff williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
    Posts
    4,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scientists according to what I read discovered that the human brain has receptor sites in the brain specific for canniboids- similar to the ones for naturally secreted chemicals the body uses for pain control.
    These are very well designed and are able to bond? in the brain better than some sites designed for body secreted chemicals. It was proposed that neurological drugs made to bond with canniboids and then introduced to the body could more effectively get into the brain thus reducing the dosage of drugs that sometimes are very hard on the liver etc.
    The idea that the sites exist was thought to involve the early human use of canniboids and the fact that areas of settlement by ancient peoples was in areas that this plant grew-Ethiopia etc.

    Now..I didn't write this as an advocate- or to argue the validity of these statements- just of interest

  8. #8
    Don't Believe the Hype RiPHRaPH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict
    Posts
    2,584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    toke it up man!!

    doesn't everyone take off their cage on their downtube, take off their saddle, fill the downtube with water and pull bonghits? gnarly.
    I have enough words to get me into trouble, but not enough to get me out of trouble.

  9. #9
    wonderer, wanderer gonesh9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    portland, or
    My Bikes
    surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Brown
    I fail to see how endorphins, which are a natural stimulant can even be compared to marijuana, which is a depressant (for the most part). Somehow, I think a bunch of potheads sponsored that study....

    Koffee
    Koffee, it has been commonly understood in the scientific world for a while now that endorphins are linked to opiates (Opium, Heroin, Morphine) the same way that they are suggesting that anandamide is connected to cannibinoids such as marijuana. Marijuana has been proven to be a useful pain and stress medication, and as Jeff pointed out, has been used as such since the beginning of time. We are aware that certain opiates are prescribed to patients for anesthesia and pain relief, and are able to accept that. Why can't we accept that there are valid medicinal uses for marijuana as well? -- Scratch that-- I guess most of the west coast of USA has come to accept it, as shown with the laws that we've passed in the last decade. Why hasn't the rest of the country woken up to this reality? The stigma associated with marijuana is the only reason. Like Koffee's and RiPHRaPH's comments punctuate, we can not get pass the image of long haired kids passing around the bong when it comes to this plant.

    On another note, I don't know how Phatman can say runners high doesn't exist... I feel sorry he hasn't experienced it, but I sure have. Although I don't smoke pot anymore, I can say from my experiences that there certainly are some similarities between runner's high and smoker's high. Like I said before, though, running or cycling is certainly a healthier, more beneficial method of achieving that high!

  10. #10
    Guest
    Guest
    Gonesh, I am in agreement with you here, though. I think marijuana should be perscribed for people in pain (AIDS, cancer, etc.), and I think it's an effective pain management tool.

    Koffee

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxologic
    Runners' high? After the run only? I believe you feel it during running as well. We were doing the 200m repetitions and sometimes after some recovery, I just feel so great I embrace the sky. Whatever it is, I love running just as I do cycling. Now is my time, I'm going to do something about everything!!
    aww man. sprints. after running the last 28 second 200, I want to lie down, throw up, and kill myself at he same time.

    My track coach loves mile repeats. 4x1 mile is is favorite workout. After the fourth mile repeat, I just want to die.

    don't get me wrong. I like running for distance, and I feel very capable when I can run for and hour and 45 minutes. but intense running really is painful to me.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thinking about it, really anything intense (cycling too) really isn't fun for me, unless I'm beating someone. maybe thats a runners high, but I think thats all adrenaline.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •