Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-04, 08:04 PM   #1
mymilkexpired
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mymilkexpired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: Custom Fetish Cycles
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cycle-Ops Fluid Squared Trainer...

How many of you guys/gals use this trainer? What do you like and dislike about it? Im just looking for general feedback about it, thanks!
mymilkexpired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 08:11 PM   #2
Scooby Snax
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymilkexpired
How many of you guys/gals use this trainer? What do you like and dislike about it? Im just looking for general feedback about it, thanks!
Mymilkexpired, I just got one, what do I like about it?
It is quiet!
I think it has better road like feel, and when sprinting it has some resistance.
Oh, it has a lifetime warranty, so long as the Mfr doesn't go broke.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 11:48 PM   #3
rjtokyo
Just ride :-D
 
rjtokyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tokyo
Bikes: Anchor RFX-8, Pedal Force QS-2, Bertoni Nuovitalia, Performance X-203
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
great trainer! does what a trainer is fundamentally supposed to do: gives a realistic road feel, smooth and quiet operation, very good resistance, very solidly built, company reputed to stand behind their products well (i've never had any problems with mine so i have no first-hand service experience), easy to set up, use, put away, or take with you on the road. you might try doing a search in this forum on it, and i think you'll get similar comments. have fun!

- ralph
rjtokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 12:20 AM   #4
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have one and am very happy with it. I haven't used any other trainers so I have no reference for comparison, but this trainer seems to have a good feel to it and it definitely will wear you out if you hit it hard. One interesting thing I noticed about mine, maybe they all do this, but it seems to take a while to 'warm up' before the full resistance kicks in. When I first get started, the resistance seems a little light and feels too easy for the gear I'm in, but after about 15 minutes it feels like it's loading up a lot more than before. Anyway, I would recommend it if you're looking for a trainer -- it has done a lot to keep me in shape during the winter.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 12:30 AM   #5
rjtokyo
Just ride :-D
 
rjtokyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tokyo
Bikes: Anchor RFX-8, Pedal Force QS-2, Bertoni Nuovitalia, Performance X-203
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel
One interesting thing I noticed about mine, maybe they all do this, but it seems to take a while to 'warm up' before the full resistance kicks in. When I first get started, the resistance seems a little light and feels too easy for the gear I'm in, but after about 15 minutes it feels like it's loading up a lot more than before.
hi grendel. mine does too... very subtly. almost feels like the fluid gets a bit thicker as it gets stirred up. works great though, eh?
rjtokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 06:45 AM   #6
mymilkexpired
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mymilkexpired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: Custom Fetish Cycles
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel
I have one and am very happy with it. I haven't used any other trainers so I have no reference for comparison, but this trainer seems to have a good feel to it and it definitely will wear you out if you hit it hard. One interesting thing I noticed about mine, maybe they all do this, but it seems to take a while to 'warm up' before the full resistance kicks in. When I first get started, the resistance seems a little light and feels too easy for the gear I'm in, but after about 15 minutes it feels like it's loading up a lot more than before. Anyway, I would recommend it if you're looking for a trainer -- it has done a lot to keep me in shape during the winter.

Thats what the s/o said after i brought it home for her and she tried it out. She was like man this is alot harder than the other trainer. LOL i guess as the fluid warms it does get a bit thicker.
mymilkexpired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-04, 11:26 AM   #7
Scooby Snax
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymilkexpired
Thats what the s/o said after i brought it home for her and she tried it out. She was like man this is alot harder than the other trainer. LOL i guess as the fluid warms it does get a bit thicker.
Yes it does, I find it takes at least 5 to 8 minutes before the resistance levels out. But also remember to cool down on the trainer, our Mech here at work had his leak fluid, and CycleOps recommend that you dont just hop of and hit the shower, spin down for 5 minutes, it keeps the fan on the flywheel cooling the head.
I have to say after 6 sessions on it, I love it!! it is more resistance than riding on the road I find, even without the wind resistance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-04, 07:26 AM   #8
Trsnrtr
Nefarious Reprobate
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Colnago CX, Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo
Posts: 8,768
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel
One interesting thing I noticed about mine, maybe they all do this, but it seems to take a while to 'warm up' before the full resistance kicks in. When I first get started, the resistance seems a little light and feels too easy for the gear I'm in, but after about 15 minutes it feels like it's loading up a lot more than before.
Yep, 15 -18 minutes and then there is a perceivable change in resistance.

Love mine.
Trsnrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 AM.