just bought sportcrafters
I just bought Sportcrafters because I wasn't sure if I'd really find them useful and wanted to save a $100 over the "gold standard" Kreitler. I've been quite pleased. I was up and riding pretty quick using the doorway technique. I've since graduated to a couch on one side.
More impressive has been the improvement they've made in a very short time. They expose every ripple, imbalance, wobble, etc. in your pedaling. After only two or three sessions, I noticed how much more smooth my pedaling and steering were on the road. I also have this sense of "muscle memory" while riding when I need to spin up a bit of what it feels like on the rollers.
Couple of suggestions
1. Start without clipping in. I actually used Merrel sports klogs because they had "quick release" in that I could get out of them as well as off the bike quickly. the thicker soles also helped.
2. Some say to lower the seat a little when starting...thicker soles do the same thing.
3. Don't look down...focus straight ahead.
4. Steer, don't lean. Leaning causes wild isolations. Try moving alternately to the right and left side of the roller as a way to learn control once your stable.
5. Relax your shoulders and arms and really feel the spin.
I've really been pleased and find that even getting on them as a ten minute warmup before a road ride is useful.