Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    83 Trek 620, 84 Raleigh Portage, 84 Schwinn Voyageur, 85 Trek 460
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    left leg is stronger than right

    My left leg is considerably stronger than my right. Is this fairly common? Perhaps it is from all my years playing basketball where I tended to jump off my left leg going in for a layup.

    Should I try to compensate by working the weak leg with more reps when I do resistance training such as lunges, calf raises or step ups? Or work each leg to exhaustion? Or should I do the same number of reps with both sides?

  2. #2
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,258
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much longer is the left leg.

    If you have a leg length difference, then you can put something under your innersole
    to bring the legs closer to equal. You don't need to make up the whole difference.
    Last edited by late; 02-10-09 at 05:59 PM.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

  3. #3
    SmackTalk'rExtraordinaire
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    So. Jersey
    My Bikes
    LeMond Reno
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised the hell out of me when I discovered the same thing. Left leg is moderately stronger than my right (and I am right-handed and no issue with leg length discrepancy)
    I do single leg presses to try and work each to the best of their ability. Otherwise I don't think much more about it. I wouldn't work one "more" than the other. Just work them to their capacity.

    My right is clearly my "favored" leg as I always start a sprint, jump out of the saddle or anything else beginning with my right.

    BTW this is very common with body builders arms. Their dominant (favored) arm is usually not as large as the less dexterous arm. That less dexterous arm compensates by getting stronger/bigger to handle the same function/movements.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    83 Trek 620, 84 Raleigh Portage, 84 Schwinn Voyageur, 85 Trek 460
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never noticed any difference in the length of either leg.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,483
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyBoy View Post
    Surprised the hell out of me when I discovered the same thing. Left leg is moderately stronger than my right (and I am right-handed and no issue with leg length discrepancy)
    I do single leg presses to try and work each to the best of their ability. Otherwise I don't think much more about it. I wouldn't work one "more" than the other. Just work them to their capacity.

    My right is clearly my "favored" leg as I always start a sprint, jump out of the saddle or anything else beginning with my right.

    BTW this is very common with body builders arms. Their dominant (favored) arm is usually not as large as the less dexterous arm. That less dexterous arm compensates by getting stronger/bigger to handle the same function/movements.
    Right. Another reason is most everyone has a slight leg length difference. Take all these factors and multiply them by 20, 30, 40+ years of use, and one leg gets stronger.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ralleh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you drive stick, you get one leg that is ridiculous compared to the other. My entire left leg is significantly more muscular. I've been doing right leg only lifts and it is evening out.

  7. #7
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My right calf is 3" bigger than the left. I went for an MRI of my back and one or two of my vertebrae are pushing into my spinal cord. Further investigation is needed.

  8. #8
    SmackTalk'rExtraordinaire
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    So. Jersey
    My Bikes
    LeMond Reno
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralleh View Post
    If you drive stick, you get one leg that is ridiculous compared to the other. My entire left leg is significantly more muscular. I've been doing right leg only lifts and it is evening out.
    Hmm. I have driven a stick from day one. But I doubt it has much to do with my left leg being stronger. Now I once drove an older Ferrari (an ex-GF's fathers way back during my college years) that had a spring loaded clutch (designed I think to keep the plate from slipping and not waste any power)

    Anyway you would depress and then WHAM, that clutch pedal would kick back at you. THAT was a workout when driving in the city.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Ratfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mle Island
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyBoy View Post
    Hmm. I have driven a stick from day one. But I doubt it has much to do with my left leg being stronger. Now I once drove an older Ferrari (an ex-GF's fathers way back during my college years) that had a spring loaded clutch (designed I think to keep the plate from slipping and not waste any power)

    Anyway you would depress and then WHAM, that clutch pedal would kick back at you. THAT was a workout when driving in the city.
    It doesn't seem like it would, but it makes a big difference. My brother had a 3000GT VR-4 that had an insane clutch like that. I think it's necessary when the car produces so much power.

  10. #10
    SmackTalk'rExtraordinaire
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    So. Jersey
    My Bikes
    LeMond Reno
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfish View Post
    My brother had a 3000GT VR-4 that had an insane clutch like that. I think it's necessary when the car produces so much power.
    That's EXACTLY what I drive (3000GT VR4) but the clutch is hydraulic. There is no spring-loaded mechanism that rockets it back to you like that old Ferrari.

    BTW I get grief for having roof racks (and bike carrier) on the roof. Been told it's an abomination by 3k purists. :-)

  11. #11
    just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Posts
    8,104
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One legged pedaling. I have one leg very slightly longer than the other, and one leg significantly bigger than the other. The big leg has more trouble doing OLP than the smaller leg. But I think the OLP helps.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Smallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyBoy View Post
    Surprised the hell out of me when I discovered the same thing. Left leg is moderately stronger than my right (and I am right-handed and no issue with leg length discrepancy)
    I do single leg presses to try and work each to the best of their ability. Otherwise I don't think much more about it. I wouldn't work one "more" than the other. Just work them to their capacity.

    My right is clearly my "favored" leg as I always start a sprint, jump out of the saddle or anything else beginning with my right.

    BTW this is very common with body builders arms. Their dominant (favored) arm is usually not as large as the less dexterous arm. That less dexterous arm compensates by getting stronger/bigger to handle the same function/movements.
    Are you saying you work use more weight with your stronger leg than your weaker leg ?

    if so I'd advise against it if your trying to bring up a muscular imbalance.... train your strong leg with the same weight as your weak one until the weak one catches up

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ratfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mle Island
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyBoy View Post
    That's EXACTLY what I drive (3000GT VR4) but the clutch is hydraulic. There is no spring-loaded mechanism that rockets it back to you like that old Ferrari.

    BTW I get grief for having roof racks (and bike carrier) on the roof. Been told it's an abomination by 3k purists. :-)
    Oh, cool car, man. The twin turbos were ridiculous. I guess the previous owner of his had a racing clutch or something.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Richard Cranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Deep in the Shawnee Forest
    My Bikes
    LeMond - Gunnar
    Posts
    2,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I try to compensate by working the weak leg with more reps when I do resistance training such as lunges, calf raises or step ups? Or work each leg to exhaustion? Or should I do the same number of reps with both sides?
    Yes and no. Good answers would be specific to you, not easy to form one over the Internet.

    In general keeping your focus on "balanced" strokes during hard efforts is the best you can do. Various techniques to "train" one leg by adjusting reps or resistance could be a good or bad idea. But working limbs individually for good form and control is always a good idea.

  15. #15
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powercranks would probably solve your imbalance problem.

    http://www.powercranks.com/v4pages/videos-list.htm
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  16. #16
    Hipster Trash
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    My Bikes
    custom hand machined lugged framed fixie conversion, single speed schwinn varsity, s**t-ton of frames and parts
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
    My left leg is considerably stronger than my right. Is this fairly common? Perhaps it is from all my years playing basketball where I tended to jump off my left leg going in for a layup.

    Should I try to compensate by working the weak leg with more reps when I do resistance training such as lunges, calf raises or step ups? Or work each leg to exhaustion? Or should I do the same number of reps with both sides?
    the best way to figure out your personal workings and how to be most efficient would be to go to a gym, and talk to a personal trainer. you wont get the same results from talking to a bunch of non-professional fitness gurus over the web

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •