Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: TSB Threshold

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    My Bikes
    Felt F75, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    TSB Threshold

    For those of you using WKO+, how low do you normally let your TSB go before you take a rest week? Mine's at -55 and I've been feeling pretty exhausted, so I'm probably going to take a light week, but what about the rest of you?

  2. #2
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that much about it, just go mostly on feel. -55 is pretty high (low?), what is your CTL? I mean if you have a CTL of 50 than -55 is insane but not so bad if it is 150. Bottom line, if you feel you are exhausted and should take some rest, do it, don't wait for some number to tell you to.

    Anyway, here's mine

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    My Bikes
    Felt F75, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My CTL is actually at about 45, so I think that I am going to take this week as a rest week.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, once I get below -35 or so I really start to feel it, and I take a couple of rest days. My CTL ranges from 40-80 though, so I don't have the huge base to dig into.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    I don't think that much about it, just go mostly on feel. -55 is pretty high (low?), what is your CTL? I mean if you have a CTL of 50 than -55 is insane but not so bad if it is 150. Bottom line, if you feel you are exhausted and should take some rest, do it, don't wait for some number to tell you to.

    Anyway, here's mine
    A CTL of 140????!!!! WTF!!!!! Steve, you are the hardest working cyclist in SoCal!!!

    No wonder you are killing it out there!! Way to go!

    My CTL is still < 100 and I won't hit that for a few more weeks. My high last year was 125. God, I feel like a slacker.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonjj View Post
    For those of you using WKO+, how low do you normally let your TSB go before you take a rest week? Mine's at -55 and I've been feeling pretty exhausted, so I'm probably going to take a light week, but what about the rest of you?
    I've been using PM for 2+ years now and when I get below -40 I start to feel really tired. Maybe that's why I can't get match Steve's CTL! Of course he's a spry young buck > 30 yrs old and I'm a cranky old geezer at 50

    This year (starting January) I've been using a ramp rate of 3 to 4 for build weeks, and ramp rate of 0 to -2 for race weeks. I really think this is the key to building fitness the right way. That is getting a ramp rate dialed in that your body can handle. I've tried steeper ramp rates and I've either felt fatigued or my body breaks down and I get sick.

    Now that race season has kicked in I tend to go positive at least every other week as I race 2xs per month. IMO it's tough for me to race or do a hard group ride and be somewhat competitive when I'm below -10 and my "feelings", or as the Euro pros would say, "sensations", back that up.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonjj View Post
    My CTL is actually at about 45, so I think that I am going to take this week as a rest week.
    Hmm. Didn't read this post before I responded before. My bad. Your CTL seems pretty low for a competitive racer. Even on light weeks I'm averaging 500-600 TSS which over time would give me a CTL of > 70. Did you seed your beginning values in the PM or did you start with 0 as your initial value?

  8. #8
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Intolerant View Post
    A CTL of 140????!!!! WTF!!!!! Steve, you are the hardest working cyclist in SoCal!!!

    No wonder you are killing it out there!! Way to go!

    My CTL is still < 100 and I won't hit that for a few more weeks. My high last year was 125. God, I feel like a slacker.
    I guess the advantage to the crazy amount of riding that I did over the last years was that I built up a huge base. I've only been averaging about 14 hours a week... not so much compared to that I am used to

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •