Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-17, 10:19 AM   #76
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder
Posts: 4,370
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Before we dive in. Did you read the whole article or did you just quote the abstract to use as a basis for your argument?
No, I didn't read the article. I could not get to it on the website or maybe i had to sign up or pay. That summary nicely matches what I have observed for myself.

Edit: I know this article existed until just before I posted it. It in no way has shaped my beliefs. I could have written the posts before 20 years ago.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-12-17 at 10:29 AM.
79pmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 10:25 AM   #77
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes: No longer shooting for, I have six bike as of October 2017
Posts: 4,973
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Yes, but you would think there would be a more definitive answer 8 years after the OP posted the thread. (August 2009).


PS They haven't logged in for four and a half years.
__________________
The Shelby is here, and a Schwinn Hornet for Xmas!!! N+5 = FAMILY
Rollfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 10:47 AM   #78
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
No, I didn't read the article. I could not get to it on the website or maybe i had to sign up or pay. That summary nicely matches what I have observed for myself.

Edit: I know this article existed until just before I posted it. It in no way has shaped my beliefs. I could have written the posts before 20 years ago.

Ben
Well the answer is easy and has nothing to do with it being natural honey specifically. All you have to do is look at the mention of fructose blood sugar level changes after ingestion and having an understanding of the ratio of sugars in honey and just a basic understanding of sugar metabolism in the body.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 11:15 AM   #79
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes: No longer shooting for, I have six bike as of October 2017
Posts: 4,973
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
You don't need sugars replaced by a drink. If you are that far gone, you need an ambulance.


Water is what you are in need of. The reason Gatorade was invented was to prevent football players from losing vital stuff in the heat while playing or practicing. However, it still does not do enough to alleviate heat stroke and exhaustion. Consider it a crutch and adjust your riding to promote your own health and safety.


i.e. The Romans, Spartans and all them other warrior dudes didn't need Gatorade.
__________________
The Shelby is here, and a Schwinn Hornet for Xmas!!! N+5 = FAMILY
Rollfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 11:54 AM   #80
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 16,232
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Yes, but you would think there would be a more definitive answer 8 years after the OP posted the thread. (August 2009).


PS They haven't logged in for four and a half years.
Other people seem to find the topic useful though.
Seattle Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 11:55 AM   #81
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 16,232
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
i.e. The Romans, Spartans and all them other warrior dudes didn't need Gatorade.
Sure but in those days running a marathon was just about the height of human achievement. I know a 50 year old dude who just ran two back-to-back marathons, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.

The Spartans didn't have the internet, either, and that's not stopping any of us.
Seattle Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 12:16 PM   #82
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
You don't need sugars replaced by a drink. If you are that far gone, you need an ambulance.


Water is what you are in need of. The reason Gatorade was invented was to prevent football players from losing vital stuff in the heat while playing or practicing. However, it still does not do enough to alleviate heat stroke and exhaustion. Consider it a crutch and adjust your riding to promote your own health and safety.


i.e. The Romans, Spartans and all them other warrior dudes didn't need Gatorade.
I'm guessing your username doesn't really apply if this is the advice you follow
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 12:36 PM   #83
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 12,670
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowx View Post
my effort was good and i was feeling good, upon drinking i got a spike, then dropped down to feeling like garbage, below where i started, another gulp and im up again for a few, then back down. point it after drinking gatoraid and it wears off i feel worse than when i started, hard bonk.
If you were feeling good, you wouldn't have tried having some carbs, would you? Bonk comes on pretty fast when you're ketogenic if you ride over your fat burning level - you don't have much glycogen and it's easy to quickly drop your BS with even a small effort. So when you get there and you feel you need some carbs to keep going, just keep the carbs coming. You'll need 30-40 calories every 15 minutes. I probably put out a little more power than you and need 50-60 calories every 15 minutes. So figure out how to do that. Gatorade probably won't do it for you. Gels or Shot Bloks are the go-to calorie source. Ketogenic works fine off the bike, and fine on the bike as long as you keep your effort way down to where you only breathe deep and slow. Once you go over that, it's only a matter of time until you need to switch over to carbs.

And the rule is that your body only gets good at what you make it do. So not eating carbs normally, your body isn't very good at using them so you'll naturally have to watch things a lot more closely than a normally carb-fueled rider would.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 12:42 PM   #84
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 12,670
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Yes, but you would think there would be a more definitive answer 8 years after the OP posted the thread. (August 2009).


PS They haven't logged in for four and a half years.
No. In fact there is no definitive answer, which is the reason we're at 4 pages now. What a rider needs at any particular time or on any particular ride depends on the rider, the training state of that rider, what that rider is used to for nutrition, hydration, and electrolytes, the ride, and the current circumstances during that ride. It's not simple at all. Hence this forum.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 07:08 AM   #85
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Posts: 6,366
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Sure but in those days running a marathon was just about the height of human achievement. I know a 50 year old dude who just ran two back-to-back marathons, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.

The Spartans didn't have the internet, either, and that's not stopping any of us.
Didn't all the Spartans gladiators die off?
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 09:40 AM   #86
jsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston
Bikes: Cervelo S3, Blue Triad SL
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
i.e. The Romans, Spartans and all them other warrior dudes didn't need Gatorade.
On the other hand, maybe Philippides wouldn't have dropped dead if he had taken some electrolytes...
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 02:55 PM   #87
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
If my choice is between water and full strength Gatorade, then water is my choice. If my choice is between water and diluted Gatorade, then my choice is still water.

Gatorade at full strength has about the right amount of carbs but too many electrolytes. Gatorade diluted has too little carbs and still too many electrolytes.

People heard this word electrolytes a long time ago and fix on it. Most think more is better. If any would take time to do the math you'd see that the amount of electrolytes you need during a particular level and duration of activity is much less than what most drinks give you. Even many that say nothing about electrolytes have sufficient amounts in them. Electrolytes are sodium, potassium, magnesium and such.

One of the things I wonder about is whether the difference in whether some can drink Gatorade and other high electrolyte drinks during intense cycling is whether they also normally have a diet high in salt. My normal diet is fairly low in salt compared to many so likewise that may be why I can't drink Gatorade during intense cycling or long rides without getting stomach cramps. Perhaps those with a diet high in salt may also get stomach cramps when drinking my 50/50 CranGrape and water which is lower in electrolytes.
Iride01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 08:55 PM   #88
TGT1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SGV So Cal
Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
On the other hand, maybe Philippides wouldn't have dropped dead if he had taken some electrolytes...

He ran just a bit under 200 miles (Sparta and back) in the two days before he ran Marathon. Tens of thousands of feet of elevation gain and loss, no camelback, feeding stations or water bottles,and in his bare feet!


Without Gatorade.



Last edited by TGT1; 09-13-17 at 09:13 PM.
TGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 09:13 PM   #89
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Bikes: Swiss Miss, Panda
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGT1 View Post
He ran 150 miles (Sparta and back) in the two days before he ran Marathon. Tens of thousands of feet of elevation gain and loss, no camelback, feeding stations or water bottles,and in his bare feet!


Without Gatorade.
You're leaving out the best part about his arrival at Athens, where he dropped dead.

The Spartathlon is a thing, no one dies, and I imagine some of the participants even have a Gatorade or two.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 10:19 AM   #90
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
If my choice is between water and full strength Gatorade, then water is my choice. If my choice is between water and diluted Gatorade, then my choice is still water.

Gatorade at full strength has about the right amount of carbs but too many electrolytes. Gatorade diluted has too little carbs and still too many electrolytes.

People heard this word electrolytes a long time ago and fix on it. Most think more is better. If any would take time to do the math you'd see that the amount of electrolytes you need during a particular level and duration of activity is much less than what most drinks give you. Even many that say nothing about electrolytes have sufficient amounts in them. Electrolytes are sodium, potassium, magnesium and such.

One of the things I wonder about is whether the difference in whether some can drink Gatorade and other high electrolyte drinks during intense cycling is whether they also normally have a diet high in salt. My normal diet is fairly low in salt compared to many so likewise that may be why I can't drink Gatorade during intense cycling or long rides without getting stomach cramps. Perhaps those with a diet high in salt may also get stomach cramps when drinking my 50/50 CranGrape and water which is lower in electrolytes.
What makes you say there is too much electrolyte? The sodium is there not strictly for electrolyte replenishment. The glucose transport proteins in your intestines are sodium/potassium(Na/K) dependent, so providing them with the glucose speeds up absorption. The amounts are under the osmolality to cause gastric emptying and water influx issues.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 09:50 PM   #91
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 12,670
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
If my choice is between water and full strength Gatorade, then water is my choice. If my choice is between water and diluted Gatorade, then my choice is still water.

Gatorade at full strength has about the right amount of carbs but too many electrolytes. Gatorade diluted has too little carbs and still too many electrolytes.

People heard this word electrolytes a long time ago and fix on it. Most think more is better. If any would take time to do the math you'd see that the amount of electrolytes you need during a particular level and duration of activity is much less than what most drinks give you. Even many that say nothing about electrolytes have sufficient amounts in them. Electrolytes are sodium, potassium, magnesium and such.

One of the things I wonder about is whether the difference in whether some can drink Gatorade and other high electrolyte drinks during intense cycling is whether they also normally have a diet high in salt. My normal diet is fairly low in salt compared to many so likewise that may be why I can't drink Gatorade during intense cycling or long rides without getting stomach cramps. Perhaps those with a diet high in salt may also get stomach cramps when drinking my 50/50 CranGrape and water which is lower in electrolytes.
I can see that. Gatorade label says 110mg sodium/8 fl.oz. My electrolyte preference is one Endurolyte/24 oz. water bottle = 80mg sodium/24 fl.oz. or about 1/4 the sodium of Gatorade. I doubt I could tolerate 4 Endurolytes/bottle for hour after hour. But people vary. Hammer says that some people use 6 Endurolytes/bottle, so they can obviously also tolerate Gatorade. One of the reasons I separate my electrolytes from my hydration.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 01:08 AM   #92
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes: No longer shooting for, I have six bike as of October 2017
Posts: 4,973
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
I'm guessing your username doesn't really apply if this is the advice you follow

I'm a DIABETIC. I also have three Rollfasts, a Schwinn, Shelby and next month a second Schwinn. I can go as fast as I care to
__________________
The Shelby is here, and a Schwinn Hornet for Xmas!!! N+5 = FAMILY
Rollfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 12:49 PM   #93
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Posts: 12,670
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
I'm a DIABETIC. I also have three Rollfasts, a Schwinn, Shelby and next month a second Schwinn. I can go as fast as I care to
Type 1 or 2? I don't ride with any Type 2s, probably for obvious reasons, but the Type 1s all eat carbs, sugars, etc.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 03:29 PM   #94
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Bikes: Swiss Miss, Panda
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Rode out today with bottle 2 filled with 16oz of Gatorade (the rest ice) so 112kcal worth. Had my first delicious sip around mile 33, at which point the PM told me I had put out 1,350Kj of work, so I'm really, really not worried about the calorie content. Ended the day just shy of 3,000kcal, so I think I managed to use up the 112kcal of Gatorade.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION