Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member aeiadart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Soymilk for protein?

    What are your guy's opinion? I drastically need to add more protein into my diet but dont want to use any nasty protein shakes.



    Nutrition facts
    http://www.qtessencesoymilkmaker.com/soymilk.html
    p.s. Scroll down a bit.
    Last edited by aeiadart; 12-01-09 at 02:02 AM.
    Artistic evolution is a dying Art.

  2. #2
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soy is a good source of a complete protein (it contains all the essential amino acids). Some people should avoid soy since some of the flavanoids within soy can interfere with thyroid function. But if you don't have any thyroid issues, I would think it would be fine to add to your diet. You can also add tofu and edmame (whole soy beans) to your diet as well.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    6,342
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are just baiting hemprider now, right?

  4. #4
    811ORV
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Da beach
    My Bikes
    felt f25r
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
    You guys are just baiting hemprider now, right?
    haha. Personally i would recommend against the protien because you don't need it (unless of course your on a starvation diet). in fantasy bike land where humans somehow need excess protien i wouldn't go with soy, ever. The stuff is bad and has many negative consequences, hemp, massive amounts of fruit, and whey are all much better sources

    As I said in the beginning tho its very unlikely you would need to supplement protien, protien deficiency doesn't even exist

  5. #5
    Village Idiot
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bahstaaaaan
    Posts
    19,995
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hemprider View Post
    haha. Personally i would recommend against the protien because you don't need it (unless of course your on a starvation diet). in fantasy bike land where humans somehow need excess protien i wouldn't go with soy, ever. The stuff is bad and has many negative consequences, hemp, massive amounts of fruit, and whey are all much better sources

    As I said in the beginning tho its very unlikely you would need to supplement protien, protien deficiency doesn't even exist
    You know that you can't see the effects of protein deficiency because your body will just break down muscles for protein right?
    Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.
    -Albert Camus

    Hammer Nutrition 15% discount!!!

  6. #6
    811ORV
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Da beach
    My Bikes
    felt f25r
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    You know that you can't see the effects of protein deficiency because your body will just break down muscles for protein right?
    You realize this only happens when you starve your body? People who eat adequate calories never experience this, if you feel otherwise please feel free to prove it.


    Look up protien deficiency it is a condition which effects people primarily in 3rd world countries who suffer from severe malnutrition, which comes down to not eating enough.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    My Bikes
    2008 fetish illustre
    Posts
    877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hemprider View Post
    You realize this only happens when you starve your body? People who eat adequate calories never experience this, if you feel otherwise please feel free to prove it.
    This has been proven quite well in endurance efforts. Applicable to us: bike rides of over 80-100 miles begin taxing the body beyond normal needs. For extended effort, the body requires ~ 500 calories per hour. This is difficult for most to take in, so your body begins going calorie deficient and utilizing fat stores. When you've got low body fat, "unneeded" muscle is burned for fuel. Consuming extra protein helps balance the body, which is why most endurance drinks have protein and some fat in them.

  8. #8
    811ORV
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Da beach
    My Bikes
    felt f25r
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palesaint View Post
    This has been proven quite well in endurance efforts. Applicable to us: bike rides of over 80-100 miles begin taxing the body beyond normal needs. For extended effort, the body requires ~ 500 calories per hour. This is difficult for most to take in, so your body begins going calorie deficient and utilizing fat stores. When you've got low body fat, "unneeded" muscle is burned for fuel. Consuming extra protein helps balance the body, which is why most endurance drinks have protein and some fat in them.
    Thanks for proving my point, this only happens when you don't receive adequate calories. Eating 500 calories per hour is extremely easy especially if your eating dates

  9. #9
    Senior Member filtersweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe whey has better bioavailability, if you can handle it. I never liked soy's relationship with estrogens.... but that concept is debatable.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    My Bikes
    2008 fetish illustre
    Posts
    877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hemprider View Post
    Thanks for proving my point, this only happens when you don't receive adequate calories. Eating 500 calories per hour is extremely easy especially if your eating dates
    Incorrect. It might be easy while sitting on the couch. But when you're pushing your heartrate and body, eating that much solids is extremely difficult. It takes over a pound of fresh dates to equal 500 calories. Even the 6 ounces of dried dates gets tough after you've been in the saddle for 5+ hours. Have you done ANY long distance efforts, or are you just delusional?

  11. #11
    Senior Member aeiadart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like ive not eaten enough calories and I feel ive lost alot of muscle because of that. I did a p90x chest and back workout yesterday and just felt completly depleted. Im just now getting over a bad cold so i might have felt dead just because of my cold, either way i feel like my body needs more "muscle food"
    Artistic evolution is a dying Art.

  12. #12
    811ORV
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Da beach
    My Bikes
    felt f25r
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palesaint View Post
    It takes over a pound of fresh dates to equal 500 calories. Even the 6 ounces of dried dates gets tough after you've been in the saddle for 5+ hours. Have you done ANY long distance efforts, or are you just delusional?
    Where do you get your numbers? a pound of fresh dates is 1200 calories, more then double what you stated. I have done many long distance efforts and have no problem eating dates while I'm riding, the trick is taking it easy while your eating the dates...

  13. #13
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hemprider View Post
    Where do you get your numbers? a pound of fresh dates is 1200 calories, more then double what you stated. I have done many long distance efforts and have no problem eating dates while I'm riding, the trick is taking it easy while your eating the dates...
    Which doesn't work for a PR in a century or when riding a brevet with a time limit.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    My Bikes
    2008 fetish illustre
    Posts
    877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hemprider View Post
    Where do you get your numbers? a pound of fresh dates is 1200 calories, more then double what you stated. I have done many long distance efforts and have no problem eating dates while I'm riding, the trick is taking it easy while your eating the dates...
    Whoops, miscalculation on my part.

    I still stand by the statement that eating that many dates on a long ride would be difficult. Supplementing protein, electrolytes and other nutrients is acceptable -and essential- for most riders.

  15. #15
    Village Idiot
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bahstaaaaan
    Posts
    19,995
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hemprider View Post
    Where do you get your numbers? a pound of fresh dates is 1200 calories, more then double what you stated. I have done many long distance efforts and have no problem eating dates while I'm riding, the trick is taking it easy while your eating the dates...
    Go easy during a race and you get dropped.

    Calories from different sources are different.

    You can get 2000 calories a day without any protein, you're not starving at all, but you're going to begin to break down your muscle to enable cellular processes to continue.

    Give it a rest, science has proven you wrong.
    Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.
    -Albert Camus

    Hammer Nutrition 15% discount!!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many of the wrong hormone creating substances in soy so be avised and read about it. Preferably in NON-USA sites as they're too vested in soy commodities. Hemp Seed Milk is better if you must .....

  17. #17
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,190
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you vegetarian? Green Lentil has tons of protein. If you are not vegetarian pork tenderloin, chicken breast.

    UD
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  18. #18
    811ORV
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Da beach
    My Bikes
    felt f25r
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    Go easy during a race and you get dropped.

    Calories from different sources are different.

    You can get 2000 calories a day without any protein, you're not starving at all, but you're going to begin to break down your muscle to enable cellular processes to continue.

    Give it a rest, science has proven you wrong.
    Never said anything about going easy in a race, the question was in regards to long distance rides. In a race i would obviously use something not as solid, such as a dateorade or a simple date based bar.

    Its impossible to eat 2000 calories without eating protien unless you consume nothing but pure sugar...

    If you think science has proven me wrong you should be able to show me empirical evidence, the WHO recommends around .5 grams of protien per kg of body weight for 97% of the population. Even Gatorade recommends athletes consume 10-15% calories from protien
    Last edited by hemprider; 12-01-09 at 11:48 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •